Pick # 139 is in: CB, Amik Robertson, Louisana Tech

RaidersAreOne

I don't like the value of the Arnette pick, but it's pretty clear that Mayock has a type, and has put an emphasis on tackling ability in his corners. Mullen, Arnette, and Robertson are all physical players who enjoy contact and are willing tacklers. i wonder if that signals some intention to mix in more cover 2 looks where the corners play aggressive at the line and set the edge on the run.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turnobili said:

I don't like the value of the Arnette pick, but it's pretty clear that Mayock has a type, and has put an emphasis on tackling ability in his corners. Mullen, Arnette, and Robertson are all physical players who enjoy contact and are willing tacklers. i wonder if that signals some intention to mix in more cover 2 looks where the corners play aggressive at the line and set the edge on the run.

I don’t think this can be overstated. Mayock and Gruden clearly have a character type and a place a particular amount of value on certain traits dependent on position. CB is tackling, toughness and physicality.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Turnobili said:

I think it's a good value pick tbh. Daniel Jeremiah had Robertson as CB11 and #85 overall while Dane Brugler had him as CB10 and #79 overall, we got him at the back end of the 4th round. The only knock on Robertson is his lack of size because on tape he's clearly one of the best players in the class. If he were bigger he would've been a top 20 pick. Even Mayock said that they couldn't believe he was still on the board at #139. I think the biggest value/benefit in this pick is that you have someone who can replace Joyner if he plays like doo doo again. And then replace him after this season, which will save us $9M in cap space after this season. 

This is what Brugler said about him: 

Elite ball skills and instincts...shows the innate ability to find the football, time his attack and disrupt the catch point...composed feet with natural sink to smoothly redirect in his transition...quickly recognizes route breaks and corrects himself mid-pedal to stay on track...small, but tough as a run defender...impressive drive and blitzing skills, making plays on the other side of the line of scrimmage...outstanding ball production with 48 passes defended and 14 interceptions in 38 starts...averaged 18.9 yards per interception with three pick-sixes...his coaches use words like “humble” and “ignitor” to describe his leadership abilities...competes with fierce confidence.

A three-year starter at Louisiana Tech, Robertson was the boundary cornerback in former defensive coordinator Bob Diaco’s scheme, playing mostly in off coverage with man-to-man mixed in. Growing up just south of Baton Rouge, he looked up to Tyrann Mathieu and adopted the same ball-hawking mindset, posting elite ball production in college (Robertson and TCU’s Jeff Gladney are the only two FBS players with 15-plus passes defended each of the last two seasons). Robertson does a great job settling his feet to stay attached to routes and trusts what he sees to routinely make plays on the ball (his 14 career interceptions tied with Xavier Woods for fifth-best in school history). Although he is undersized, he plays much bigger than he is, crowding receivers and getting his man on the ground as a tackler. Overall, Robertson won’t meet the size benchmarks for several NFL teams, but his foot quickness, diagnose skills and nose for the football make him a prime candidate for nickel work, displaying the toughness to see meaningful snaps from Day 1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think it's a good value pick tbh. Daniel Jeremiah had Robertson as CB11 and #85 overall while Dane Brugler had him as CB10 and #79 overall, we got him at the back end of the 4th round. The only knock on Robertson is his lack of size because on tape he's clearly one of the best players in the class. If he were bigger he would've been a top 20 pick. Even Mayock said that they couldn't believe he was still on the board at #139. I think the biggest value/benefit in this pick is that you have someone who can replace Joyner if he plays like doo doo again. And then replace him after this season, which will save us $9M in cap space after this season. 

This is what Brugler said about him: 

I love the Amik pick. I said i didn’t like value of Arnette 

• Like 1

I really like Robertson’s attitude.  He seems like a hungry person whose got a huge chip on his shoulder.  And afraid of no one.

i also like his ability to lay a shoulder into people.  He real hard but keeps his helmet out of there to avoid penalties.

i think by ‘21 he’s going to be one of the upper level sCBs in the league. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I like how all our DBs are some DOGS

Yeah we never we’re going to draft Henderson.... at all...

Mullen,Arnette, Joyner/Robertson... even Lawson and Johnson are all hard hitters.

having active tacklers at CB will really help vs the run game

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Henderson tackling woes are overblown.... he is going be the best corner in this class 

Overblown? The “man” runs from ball carriers! I’ve seen him purposefully not get off a block to avoid having to tackle someone (along with his teammate)....

And I say “man’s” because I actually question his manhood... straight up I’d say it to his face 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 12:53 AM, jimkelly02 said:

I really like Robertson’s attitude.  He seems like a hungry person whose got a huge chip on his shoulder.  And afraid of no one.

i also like his ability to lay a shoulder into people.  He real hard but keeps his helmet out of there to avoid penalties.

i think by ‘21 he’s going to be one of the upper level sCBs in the league. 

Have you seen Henderson’s tape the previous year? I haven’t..I’m just wondering because something just didn’t add up to me..Henderson did 20 reps at the combine. And I saw him press next years top WR Chase like he was a average player. 

How can someone that fast, do 20 reps (with long arms), and can press like that not be a okay tackler? I often wondered if he was making a “business decision” not to tackle. Just a thought that ran through my head. 

28 minutes ago, TheMadStork said:

Have you seen Henderson’s tape the previous year? I haven’t..I’m just wondering because something just didn’t add up to me..Henderson did 20 reps at the combine. And I saw him press next years top WR Chase like he was a average player. 

How can someone that fast, do 20 reps (with long arms), and can press like that not be a okay tackler? I often wondered if he was making a “business decision” not to tackle. Just a thought that ran through my head. 

Because its an attitude and mindset, he doesn't want to or is scared of contact. Henderson probably looks great doing bicep curls while taking a selfie but remember the old adage; looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Give me the likes of Robertson any day of the week. Henderson is a good cover guy, just very soft.

One thing I noticed with Robertson while I remember is that he seems very composed and patient in coverage for such an aggressive player, he challenges the receiver and the ball at the optimum time as some corners I've watched can get panicky or nervous maybe doubting their positioning and jump or play the ball too early resulting in not high pointing, grabbing or contacting the receiver for a potential PI before the catch point, the more I watch the more I see a very, very good player who's confident in his coverage. His confidence is not just immature bravado like so many players, he can back it up IMO.

• Like 2