With the 140th pick, the Jaguars select LB Shaquille Quarterman

pwny

I have paid attention to Shaq Quarterman a bit because I am a fan of The U. I have this to say about him: He is tough and a leader of men. He is hard-nosed and a thumper up the middle. Think of Denzel Perryman of the Chargers (also from The U) when you think of Shaq. He will be a force in the run game. As for pass coverage, he leaves a bit to be desired as his hips are not that fluid and he can get beat in man and zone coverage. He does not have the speed to be a sideline to sideline tackler. He will be a player who contributes and if utilized properly, will have an impact on the run game. 

• Like 4

On 25/04/2020 at 1:49 PM, Jags said:

I have paid attention to Shaq Quarterman a bit because I am a fan of The U. I have this to say about him: He is tough and a leader of men. He is hard-nosed and a thumper up the middle. Think of Denzel Perryman of the Chargers (also from The U) when you think of Shaq. He will be a force in the run game. As for pass coverage, he leaves a bit to be desired as his hips are not that fluid and he can get beat in man and zone coverage. He does not have the speed to be a sideline to sideline tackler. He will be a player who contributes and if utilized properly, will have an impact on the run game. 

I can see where he's sorta looked at as a "thumper" like that.  But the hard-nosed aspect seemed inconsistent to me, in what i saw of him.  He's got some big sticks when he gets the read right and shoots the right gap, but then some kinda weaker tackling, plus tons of just sorta "piling on" with "assists".  He's always there which is good, but he kinda reminds me of a maybe tougher less rangy Arthur Brown from a lot of years ago who just compiled crazy numbers by always been...part of the play, or near enough to it.

But that's just the impression i got from him.  Definitely interesting insight from someone who probably watched a ton more of him as a fan of the U than i did.

Immediate impact starter for you guys. Quarterman is a beast and thumps better than any LB in this draft class. Has enough lateral range to make plays from tackle to tackle, but isn't an elite athlete nor is he going to be able to cover anyone in man.

A perfect fit to go next to Myles Jack.

Good draft for you guys.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Immediate impact starter for you guys. Quarterman is a beast and thumps better than any LB in this draft class. Has enough lateral range to make plays from tackle to tackle, but isn't an elite athlete nor is he going to be able to cover anyone in man.

Good draft for you guys.

Thank you, sir.

I think he'll be in more of a reserved role with Scho and Jack on the inside. But as time goes on (and if he develops) I could see it being tough to not have him in on obvious running downs.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Thank you, sir.

I think he'll be in more of a reserved role with Scho and Jack on the inside. But as time goes on (and if he develops) I could see it being tough to not have him in on obvious running downs.

I totally forgot you guys signed Schobert. Yeah, he ain't beating him out. I do think Schobert could play some SLB in base fronts to allow Quarterman on the field in 3 LB sets. I doubt they'd move him over there to accommodate a day 3 rookie though.

17 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I totally forgot you guys signed Schobert. Yeah, he ain't beating him out. I do think Schobert could play some SLB in base fronts to allow Quarterman on the field in 3 LB sets. I doubt they'd move him over there to accommodate a day 3 rookie though.

Yeah, doubtful.

Think our base is largely going to be in a 3-4. 

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Good draft for you guys.

Does he really "thump" though?

He's a tackle machine.  He's always there at the tackle.  But the real thump...idk.  Few really good sticks in the games i watched, but plenty of real hang on drag down tackles and even a few escapes too.  And just a hundred billion "assists".

Edited by Tugboat

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Does he really "thump" though?

He's a tackle machine.  He's always there at the tackle.  But the real thump...idk.  Few really good sticks in the games i watched, but plenty of real hang on drag down tackles and even a few escapes too.  And just a hundred billion "assists".

I’ve seen him abuse guards with brutal stack n’ sheds. Murk fullbacks back into the hole. 

He isn’t a stop tackler, but he doesn’t miss tackles and he takes on blocks at such a high level. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

I’ve seen him abuse guards with brutal stack n’ sheds. Murk fullbacks back into the hole. 

He isn’t a stop tackler, but he doesn’t miss tackles and he takes on blocks at such a high level. 

I'll take your word for it, because i know you've probably watched a lot more of the U than i have.  I just didn't get that impression in what i watched.  Feels a bit like...Myles Jack, where i didn't really get the deal with him in college.  But without the raw athletic range.  Nothing wrong with piling up shared/assist tackles...but it's still not the best.

Quarterman does have those impressive snaps where he shoots the right gap and just stops things dead.  I like that.  I just wish it was more.

Like...a patient LBer who plays well downhill is fine, but even in that...the "thumper" element seems inconsistent to me, at best.  With limited coverage ability...i want a friggen sledge hammer LBer probably.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I'll take your word for it, because i know you've probably watched a lot more of the U than i have.  I just didn't get that impression in what i watched.  Feels a bit like...Myles Jack, where i didn't really get the deal with him in college.  But without the raw athletic range.  Nothing wrong with piling up shared/assist tackles...but it's still not the best.

Quarterman does have those impressive snaps where he shoots the right gap and just stops things dead.  I like that.  I just wish it was more.

Like...a patient LBer who plays well downhill is fine, but even in that...the "thumper" element seems inconsistent to me, at best.  With limited coverage ability...i want a friggen sledge hammer LBer probably.

Weird. When I think of sledgehammering LB’s, Quarterman would be the first name to pop up on my list for this draft. I’ve watched a crap ton of Quarterman and think he’s the perfect fit to hammer anything in between the tackles. His best trait is block destruction and violence at the point of attack. 

17 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Weird. When I think of sledgehammering LB’s, Quarterman would be the first name to pop up on my list for this draft. I’ve watched a crap ton of Quarterman and think he’s the perfect fit to hammer anything in between the tackles. His best trait is block destruction and violence at the point of attack. 

I need to get back into the tape, it seems.

He just has so much loitering in the games i watched...maybe i just need to see other games.  idk

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I have to agree here. He does not remind me anything of Myles Jack, at all. He is a thumper and someone willing to take on the blocks. He does need a bit of coaching, but the young man is bright and eager to learn. Below is a clip of something he is consistently capable of and what the Jaguars would expect him to be doing. 

Good breakdown: 

https://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2020/04/06/nfl-draft-profile-miami-ilb-shaquille-quarterman/