4th Round: DeeJay Dallas / RB / Miami

SaveOurSonics

DeeJay Dallas / RB / Miami 

DeeJay Dallas 2020 NFL Draft Profile - Last Word on Pro Football

SoS Scouting Report

Strengths: I really like his overall makeup, he might be low ceiling but I see a guy with some serious 3-down traits and potential for a lead role with his size profile as well. He refuses to let arm tackles slow him down, does a really good job pinballing off weak tacklers and powering his way forward, very good functional balance. Thick, strong upper body that allows him to take a beating and lower his shoulder through traffic. Good enough speed that if you give him some open field he will rip off chunk gains and even take it to the house. Good overall athlete, nice blend of size, power, speed, twitch, hands. Speaking of which, shows off nice natural hands and good awareness in the open field. Very lightly used tandem back, never exceeded 115 carries in a single season + third-year kid gives him extra potential upward. Never fumbled in 2019, small window of issue in 2018 when he had 4 in 3 games, but that was it.

Weaknesses: Can be a victim of his patience at the LOS, can get caught dancing a little bit and taken down in the backfield. Not exceptional in any given area, more or less good in all of the areas mentioned in strengths. Pretty limited when it comes to lateral agility, is usually found stutter stepping to change direction and does not make defenders miss in the open field. Rather disconcerting that he couldn't win a larger stakeholder of the backfield work in college. Despite skill set, he was sparingly used in the receiving game which always brings question marks. Tested pretty poorly at the Combine in all major areas, pretty sizable red flag.

Takeaway: Similar to Zack Moss, Dallas is a do-it-all 3-down option with a low ceiling due to some athletic limitations, but could prove great value as a potential starter in the 3rd round.

Watched the FSU cut up. One thing that popped was he is a WILLING pass blocker. Dude has zero hesitation stepping up and meeting blitzers head up in the hole. On the edges.... mixed bag. But that's something he can work on.

I do appreciate how angry he runs too, always falls forward, tough to take down on initial contact. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Watched the FSU cut up. One thing that popped was he is a WILLING pass blocker. Dude has zero hesitation stepping up and meeting blitzers head up in the hole. On the edges.... mixed bag. But that's something he can work on.

I do appreciate how angry he runs too, always falls forward, tough to take down on initial contact. 

Should pair well with Lewis who also is a nasty run blocker and has a mean streak attitude. I would still assume Carson/Penny are the guys, but after those late season injuries... who knows.

19 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Surprised to look back and not see his pass pro listed in my strengths section. You're absolutely right, he's one of the more pro-ready pass protectors in this class. I was really hoping we'd land him or Lamical Perine from this draft.