Travis' heir - Running Behind Wisconsin's Badazz - Tyler Biadasz

Texas_OutLaw7

4 hours ago, 5x10 said:

Let’s see, I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong 

Our O-line is also going through bit of a transition phase right now. It's very important to have such an open competition to figure out the 5 best Oline combo.

Even if we have premium talent draft picks sitting on the bench, it's well okay because Oline is such a important position group for any team. 

I just suspect throughout this season we will indeed experiment with different set of players so I don't think the overall competition and depth order will mean anything.

Our starting center or guard might not be the same one giving us massive success say in the run game in December. I wouldn't put too much stock in any of our young Oline but rather just watch them all compete right now.

For all we know we have an UDFA that might be the best pick in our loaded draft class. It's exciting to know talent can come suddenly from anywhere after the draft process & FA.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

5 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Our O-line is also going through bit of a transition phase right now. It's very important to have such an open competition to figure out the 5 best Oline combo.

Even if we have premium talent draft picks sitting on the bench, it's well okay because Oline is such a important position group for any team. 

I just suspect throughout this season we will indeed experiment with different set of players so I don't think the overall competition and depth order will mean anything.

Our starting center or guard might not be the same one giving us massive success say in the run game in December. I wouldn't put too much stock in any of our young Oline but rather just watch them all compete right now.

For all we know we have an UDFA that might be the best pick in our loaded draft class. It's exciting to know talent can come suddenly from anywhere after the draft process & FA.

Is there anyone who doesn’t think continuity on the offensive line throughout the season is a valuable thing?

You’ll bench a player for poor performance, sure. But you don’t go into the season thinking, “we’re going to try and figure this thing out by trying a bunch of different combinations.” You try to figure that out before the season starts.

They are going to figure it out in the preseason. And Looney as a starter is a heavy underdog.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

Tyler tape was much better in 2018 then 2019. If he comes out last year he is a late first early second round pick. Now he had hip surgery after 2018and shoulder surgery after 2019 season so probably didn’t play healthy hence his drop in performance. I am a bit worried though with the hip surgery that maybe he didn’t fully recover. Hopefully the injuries are behind him as 2018 version was the best center in college football. 

Edited by cromagnum

4 minutes ago, cromagnum said:

Tyler tape was much better in 2018 then 2019. If he comes out last year he is a late first early second round pick. Now he had hip surgery after 2018and shoulder surgery after 2019 season so probably didn’t play healthy hence his drop in performance. I am a bit worried though with the hip surgery that maybe he didn’t fully recover. Hopefully the injuries are behind him as 2018 version was the best center in college football. 

Injuries are never behind you. You don't get better after an injury, you just heal up and learn to live with it.

That said, he has youth on his side. A young man can play a long time with a healed injury. But make no mistake, it will always be there and it will always be on his mind.

Shoulder and knee, for a C? We will see.

28 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Injuries are never behind you. You don't get better after an injury, you just heal up and learn to live with it.

That said, he has youth on his side. A young man can play a long time with a healed injury. But make no mistake, it will always be there and it will always be on his mind.

Hip not a knee but having youth on your side definitely helps. The reason he fell was because of injury concern so but talent definitely there. To possibly get your starting center in the late 4th is a risk I’m definitely willing to take.

2 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Unfortunately this is 100% not true. There are plenty of injuries you can “put behind you”, one of the main ones being broken bones. Once healed properly you are no more likely to break that bone again than any other in your body.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

Unfortunately this is 100% not true. There are plenty of injuries you can “put behind you”, one of the main ones being broken bones. Once healed properly you are no more likely to break that bone again than any other in your body.

Okay

14 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Is there anyone who doesn’t think continuity on the offensive line throughout the season is a valuable thing?

You’ll bench a player for poor performance, sure. But you don’t go into the season thinking, “we’re going to try and figure this thing out by trying a bunch of different combinations.” You try to figure that out before the season starts.

They are going to figure it out in the preseason. And Looney as a starter is a heavy underdog.

I would think this season is gonna be a little different in that respect in that we may not get much of a training camp + preseason, and that the first month or two is absolutely gonna require a figure-it-out-as-you-go approach for teams, especially ones turning over the coaching staff.

Smith-Williams-McGovern-Martin-Collins seems like our highest-upside lineup for 2020 and projects as a Top 10, potential Top 5 OL even without Fredbeard. But if the new staff prefers McGovern over Williams at LG and/or wants to try C-Will out at swing tackle, then Looney at C with Biasdaz in the wings may be the outcome. 

A "bunch of different combinations" is probably a recipe for disaster, but our hand may be forced somewhat. Ultimately, I think all of this qualifies as a "good problem to have."

28 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I would think this season is gonna be a little different in that respect in that we may not get much of a training camp + preseason, and that the first month or two is absolutely gonna require a figure-it-out-as-you-go approach for teams, especially ones turning over the coaching staff.

Smith-Williams-McGovern-Martin-Collins seems like our highest-upside lineup for 2020 and projects as a Top 10, potential Top 5 OL even without Fredbeard. But if the new staff prefers McGovern over Williams at LG and/or wants to try C-Will out at swing tackle, then Looney at C with Biasdaz in the wings may be the outcome. 

A "bunch of different combinations" is probably a recipe for disaster, but our hand may be forced somewhat. Ultimately, I think all of this qualifies as a "good problem to have."

I agree with this. The caveat is that it actually sounds like they might be invested in trying Williams at center.

Certainly agree that it’s a good problem to have. I just thought all the roster forecasting of Looney in the starting lineup is unlikely. 

20 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I agree with this. The caveat is that it actually sounds like they might be invested in trying Williams at center.

Certainly agree that it’s a good problem to have. I just thought all the roster forecasting of Looney in the starting lineup is unlikely. 

Yeah, I saw that, I just fail to see how he'd be the best option of the four with the least experience

As far as things that could derail our season, Brandon Knight at swing tackle sticks out like a sore thumb. Any other position I think would require multiple injuries to really put us in a bind (besides QB). I really don't see how we can afford to lose Tyron for a prolonged stretch this year.

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

This isn't always a bad thing. Strange huh?

It’s fine to disagree on the Cowboys with things, but it’s important to frame the conversation. There tends to be a lot of  conversations on here with posters talking past each other, because one is talking about their personal beliefs (they are worried about Jarwin at starter) and the other is talking about what the Cowboys believe (they aren’t looking for an answer at TE, they have their answer).

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 9:01 AM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

It is a valuable thing for OL to keep playing next to the guys you are used to. And it's not always so good to move a guy from outside to inside, from inside to center, and back. Different focal points on technique and what to look for or details to mind. 

But on the same token, we now have 3 quality draft picks who's positioning on both depth chart and on the line itself is up in the air. Things need to get sorted out and fast. Frederick gone, LG having been up and down, Tyron aging and missing time, and this line being overrated after its 2014 bedazzlement performance is starting to add up. If the line sees a few different variations this year, I would not be surprised. Not ideal for longevity, but this season could be where these new guys and future position starters build their longevity and continuity. It may be some.trial and error. Glad Dak can throw on the run.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:49 PM, badgers0821 said:

Tell that to Romo.

McGovern was a redshirt last season. He was injured really early in the offseason and this was supposed to be his first full off season. The guy is a rookie as far as I’m concerned. Biasdaz will likely redshirt this season imo. I see Looney as the guy at center and C-Will as the guy at LG to open camp whenever that is. I give McGovern the inside track over Biasdaz to upset one of the 2 vets. Looney at center being the most likely to be benched. He did play well last time but that was 2 years ago and with a different coaching staff. The new staff will favor the younger talent imo, but C-Will and Looney have chemistry with the current OL. Biasdaz and McGovern don’t. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Looney is the best player on the roster to play the left side of Zack Martin

Edited by DaBoys