5th Round (155th overall) - OLB Trevis Gipson, Tulsa | Bears 2020 Draft

RJ_11

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s less than ideal, but who cares if the player is good? 

Agreed. Versatility and upside. Interested to see if we'll ask him to put his hand down at all. I like our EDGE room a lot with Gipson, Mingo, and hopefully Lil' Mack rotating in behind the studs.

Although we have to admit that Pace's track record drafting at this spot is not great.

To have traded a 2021 pick to get him they must like what they see in him.

When we were discussing edge rushers earlier I said that we should look for a kid with size and speed in the later rounds and let guys like Mack and Quinn mentor him.  Looks to me like Gipson is "that guy".  He's very raw right now but with some good coaching AND two of the best pass rushers in the NFL to learn from he could end up being another of Pace's 5th round "steals".

For now all we need from him is to be able to take some snaps in reserve and threaten QBs with his pass rush.  If he can at least do that for now we've added some badly needed depth on the edge.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Pace needs to find an edge player in draft.  He has not been good there.  Hope this kid breaks the trend. 

Floyd was a project, though. An experiment that failed. This guy is already a good pass rusher, and has potential to get much, much better. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He was also taken at a place where a high upside project is a good risk. 

Bingo. And it may mean that we don't have to re-sign Lynch. And we got a guy who can probably contribute this year for a measly fourth round pick next year. Gipson, to me, is the best part of this draft. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Bingo. And it may mean that we don't have to re-sign Lynch. And we got a guy who can probably contribute this year for a measly fourth round pick next year. Gipson, to me, is the best part of this draft. 

Lynch is worthless. 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Floyd was a project, though. An experiment that failed. This guy is already a good pass rusher, and has potential to get much, much better. 

And you confirm here what many scouts and GMs have also said.

For someone to become a good NFL pass rusher they have to at the very least have been one in college.  There's knack to it that guys like Mack and Quinn have and brought with them.  Floyd never had that knack.  Not even in college.  He can rush but he can't close the deal.

IMHO we are far better off drafting raw college talent like Gipson who seems to already have that knack than to spend higher picks on players like Floyd who simply don't.  Some of our best rushers were guys who were not drafted all that high.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soulman said:

IMHO we are far better off drafting raw college talent like Gipson who seems to already have that knack than to spend higher picks on players like Floyd who simply don't.  Some of our best rushers were guys who were not drafted all that high.

Wasn't Dent an eighth round pick (back when there were twelve rounds)? 

10 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Wasn't Dent an eighth round pick (back when there were twelve rounds)? 

Yup.  Dent was a true anomaly.  Others were Mike Hartenstine (2nd), Steve McMichael (3rd by NE), Alex Brown (4th), Mark Anderson (5th), Izzy Idonije (FA) and I know I'm missing a few as well.  We've had some who were 1st round picks as well like Tommie Harris and Trace Armstrong and Dan Hampton but many were later round picks.

Lets see what this kid and can and they also brought in Mack's little brother who also played at Buffalo U.  That should be interesting.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

Lets see what this kid and can and they also brought in Mack's little brother who also played at Buffalo U.  That should be interesting.

I'm excited about Mack's little brother. And didn't even know he existed until yesterday.

Go Bears!