5(158). Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia

NewAge

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-bryce-hall-virginia-1.44331973

Bryce Hall's athleticism, study habits make him intriguing pick for Jets

Jester Weah #85 of the Pittsburgh Panthers cannot

Jester Weah #85 of the Pittsburgh Panthers cannot make a catch while being defended by Bryce Hall #34 of the Virginia Cavaliers in the first half during the game at Heinz Field on October 28, 2017 in Pittsburgh. Credit: Getty Images/Justin Berl

By Al Iannazzoneal.iannazzone@newsday.comUpdated May 2, 2020 4:56 PM

The Jets may need to set up a special area in their film room just for Bryce Hall.

The former Virginia cornerback, whom the Jets drafted in the fifth round, spent so much time watching film of opposing teams and players that the Cavaliers set him up with a desk, computer and flat screen TV in their video room.

Hall was always there, working and studying. That preparation and attention to detail made him one of the best cornerbacks in the nation.

“His study habits are what put him over the top as a college player,” Virginia defensive coordinator and secondary coach Nick Howell said. “He just learned so fast and studied opponents so well, he just knew what was going on out there on the field."

The way Hall prepared — not only for each game but for playing his position — became legendary around the Virginia football program.

“It started pretty basic and then it just grew into something that was pretty phenomenal,” Howell said.

Hall was a wide receiver in high school, but coach Bronco Mendenhall and Howell decided that he would play cornerback.  Diligent and determined, he worked extremely hard to learn his new position.

As a freshman, Hall asked Howell to work with him after practice on his footwork, stance and technique. He was like a sponge, receiving and processing the information quickly.

Hall, who played 12 games with seven starts as a true freshman, brought it to another level with his dedication to film work. He carried a notebook with him everywhere, filling it with information the coaches gave him and what he saw on film about opposing receivers, including notes about what they would do in every situation.

The result: Hall had 39 pass breakups, five interceptions and three forced fumbles in four years at Virginia. When he was a junior, his 22 pass breakups led the nation and his 24 passes defended were tied for first.

“You can always count on him,” Howell said. “His guy’s not going to catch the ball. He’s very competitive. You’re going to get your best from him all the time. The kid’s a player.”

Howell remembers one winter Friday night when Virginia was hosting some recruits. They were on their way to dinner, and a light was on in the film room. It was Hall. When Howell returned about three hours later, he was still there.

“And this was the offseason,” Howell said.

“I’m somebody who first and foremost prepares like crazy,” Hall said. “I’m very determined to learn and grow. Every day I’m hungry to learn and I’m hungry just to get better.”

Howell has no doubt that Hall will bring this approach to the Jets, who may have gotten a steal if the 6-1, 202-pound shutdown cornerback returns to form after a gruesome injury.

Hall, 22, fractured his left fibula, dislocated his ankle and suffered torn ligaments while blocking on a punt return against Miami in October. He was projected to go in the first or second round before the injury, and. the Jets wound up taking him with the 158th overall pick.

Hall said his ankle is “healed” and he’ll be able to play if the season starts as scheduled in September. Jets general manager Joe Douglas said team doctors also believe Hall will be “ready to roll.”

Hall will do everything he can to be ready — he always has. But after the Jets selected him, he showed the strength and character he displayed at Virginia, and more so after his injury. When he was asked if he would use falling as far as he did as motivation, he responded, “I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be.”

This reply didn’t surprise Howell.

“Bryce is an unbelievable human being and he lives his life in a way that lifts others up around him,” Howell said. “He’s built different mentally. He’s built different spiritually. The kid’s just a well-rounded human.”

Hall is very spiritual, and he relied on that faith after his injury.

Howell said Hall expressed no regrets about not turning pro after his junior year. He found other ways to prepare and be involved, becoming a coach, to an extent. He sat in on meetings and film sessions, picked Howell’s brain and advised his teammates. During games, he sat in the coaches’ box with a headset and clipboard and got a different perspective and insight.

“There was never any moment of pity or ‘feel bad for me,’ ” Howell said. “It’s refreshing. He has such a clear purpose. He knows things are bigger than football. He believes things are going to go the way they’re supposed to go. He views it as it’s helped him become better. That’s just who he is.”

By Al Iannazzoneal.iannazzone@newsday.com
  • Like 1

Just take one look at the 2020 draft and after reading the article above we can see just how valuable character, personality and work ethic mean to JD.

I don't see any Jachai Polites in our future.

Edited by dcat
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dcat said:

people can't resist comping him to #24.  He's not Revis.  He's his own guy and I can't wait to see what GW can get out of him, Wilson, Davis .

I haven't seen anyone comp him to Revis.   That is a silly comp,  different styles of CB, and also comparing a rookie to the best player we've had in a long time is mean to do to the kid

Hall has real starters potential. I think our starting CBs right now heading into the season would be Desir and Austin on the outsides with Poole at nickle.  If Austin can stay healthy, I really like his game and think he has starters talent. He has that athletic ability and length. 

Great thing is we have depth at CB and should have lots of competition, no one is guaranteed a starters spot. 

6 hours ago, dcat said:

Just take one look at the 2020 draft and after reading the article above we can see just how valuable character, personality and work ethic mean to JD.

I don't see any Jachai Polites in our future.

Yeah this was a Mangini type draft. That 2006 draft. Character, leadership, quality humans, and a passion for football. You start building a roster of these type of players and the attitude is infectious. You dont need everyone to be superstars. Come to work and do what's asked of you. Play with pride. Jets need to get out to a decent start for once and not fall buried in the division by week 6. If they can stay motivated we will have a team that at the very least will fight and claw in every game. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah this was a Mangini type draft. That 2006 draft. Character, leadership, quality humans, and a passion for football. You start building a roster of these type of players and the attitude is infectious. You dont need everyone to be superstars. Come to work and do what's asked of you. Play with pride. Jets need to get out to a decent start for once and not fall buried in the division by week 6. If they can stay motivated we will have a team that at the very least will fight and claw in every game. 

As long as we don’t draft anymore Anthony Schlegel’s because they were a team captain. What a waste of a third round pick.  

• Like 1

Huge steal for you guys. He was my #3 rated CB behind Okudah and Henderson. I think he ends up being a pro bowl caliber #1 CB. Excels in more of a zone scheme or up in your face pressing. He isn't twitchy enough to play in off man. Elite ball skills and a rugged run defender. Scrappy and competitive. This kid is good. I wouldn't have batted an eye if he went in the 1st round.

• Like 8