5th Round (163rd overall) - CB Kindle Vildor, Georgia Southern | Bears 2020 Draft

RJ_11

25 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

He definitely has his warts but has enough upside to warrant the pick. Adams was healthy he's have been a 1st rounder IMO and Price would be a late 1st to early 2nd rounder. 

I'll gamble with late picks all day. You don't get fired for dropping picks in the 5th, blowing early ones is what kills a team. 

I hear ya. I would normally feel the same way about 5th round picks but not this year since we didn't have any 3rd or 4th rd picks. Each pick should be treated as a premium pick imo.

He's still on the board and I wouldn't mind using a 7th on him tho. 

• Like 1

Didn’t get this pick after the Johnson pick. I actually thought Skrine was pretty solid last year, and it would cost us $300k against the cap to cut him (2020 hit is $6.1M; dead cap if cut is $6.4M) so he’s almost certainly not going anywhere. There are only so many spots on the roster for DBs so something has to give here. For those who were fans of Toliver this pick would seem to be further indictment on what the staff thinks of him. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Didn’t get this pick after the Johnson pick. I actually thought Skrine was pretty solid last year, and it would cost us $300k against the cap to cut him (2020 hit is $6.1M; dead cap if cut is $6.4M) so he’s almost certainly not going anywhere. There are only so many spots on the roster for DBs so something has to give here. For those who were fans of Toliver this pick would seem to be further indictment on what the staff thinks of him. 

Skrine turns 31 years old tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Skrine turns 31 years old tomorrow.

Fair enough - so this guy competes with Shelley now as depth with one likely ending up on the practice squad. That’s fine but it seems like a pick a year too early for that since we just took Shelley last year. 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Fair enough - so this guy competes with Shelley now as depth with one likely ending up on the practice squad. That’s fine but it seems like a pick a year too early for that since we just took Shelley last year. 

Agreed. I don't like the pick either. I'm just trying to understand it is all. Skrines age is a concern (on a 3 year contract with outs after next season) and this might speak to how they really feel about Skelly too. 

2 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Im surprised people were so happy with Skrine last year, I thought he had kind of a bad year. I already said I think all of these DB's will be multi-positional. I think we are changing all the players out except Fuller and Jackson.

The big knock on Skrine coming in was penalties. Last year he had just two in 727 defensive snaps with only one in coverage (the other was an offsides) and he also kicked in 2 FF. Pro Football Reference has him allowing 59.3% completions on 81 targets which is pretty solid. Other than having 0 interceptions I don’t think he had a subpar season at all. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The big knock on Skrine coming in was penalties. Last year he had just two in 727 defensive snaps with only one in coverage (the other was an offsides) and he also kicked in 2 FF. Pro Football Reference has him allowing 59.3% completions on 81 targets which is pretty solid. Other than having 0 interceptions I don’t think he had a subpar season at all. 

Agreed.  And I came out against him when they signed him.  

Let's not overlook the number of times we're in nickel and dime coverages using 5 or 6 DBs.  It may have been awhile since we drafted a boundary CB this high but we've been adding slot CBs either as draftees and vet FAs or UDFAs all along.  Vildor is another one.

It was a pretty strong draft class for CBs and my guess is Vildor is a BPA pick who dropped farther than expected due to some warts and limitations but he sounds like the kind of kid who along with Shelley you look to develop as a Slot CB for 2021 and beyond.

We have Skrine for 2020 but with a $6.1 mil cap hit again in 2021 we're likely to move on from him and will be looking to replace him from within.  IMHO having a couple of younger guys in the hopper learning the position is a good investment for us.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...