The Recipe Thread 2.0!

scar988

Cheesehead430 Baked Chicken

Just an FYI I prefer dark meat so I use mostly thighs and legs but you can use anything you want. 

First thing you want to do is brine your chicken in salt, apple cider vinegar, and water. Make sure you use a liberal amount of salt to cover your chicken and about a half a cup of apple cider vinegar. You want to let this chicken brine for at least an hour it will really keep your chicken nice and juicy in addition it will clean your chicken. 

When your chicken is close to being done in the brine you want to make the rub. I can combine a tablespoon of seasoning salt, garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and dried parsley. You're going to set this aside for now.

Next you want to combine a cup of chicken stock, 4 tablespoons of melted butter, and a fourth a cup of apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. 

You then want to take your chicken out of the brine, dry the pieces, and then add them to the Bowl of the liquid mixture. 

Next you want to pour the bowl of your chicken onto a baking sheet and sprinkle your rub over the top and bottom of the chicken.  Make sure however when you put the chicken in the oven you have it skin side up. 

I've then cook the chicken at 350 for an hour and a half basting the chicken every 30 minutes or so.

I love this recipe I'd say I have to make it at least twice a month it's pretty easy and just delicious. Chicken comes out extremely tender and you get a very nice crispy skin. 

11 hours ago, Cheesehead430 said:

Cheesehead430 Baked Chicken

Just an FYI I prefer dark meat so I use mostly thighs and legs but you can use anything you want. 

First thing you want to do is brine your chicken in salt, apple cider vinegar, and water. Make sure you use a liberal amount of salt to cover your chicken and about a half a cup of apple cider vinegar. You want to let this chicken brine for at least an hour it will really keep your chicken nice and juicy in addition it will clean your chicken. 

When your chicken is close to being done in the brine you want to make the rub. I can combine a tablespoon of seasoning salt, garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and dried parsley. You're going to set this aside for now.

Next you want to combine a cup of chicken stock, 4 tablespoons of melted butter, and a fourth a cup of apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. 

You then want to take your chicken out of the brine, dry the pieces, and then add them to the Bowl of the liquid mixture. 

Next you want to pour the bowl of your chicken onto a baking sheet and sprinkle your rub over the top and bottom of the chicken.  Make sure however when you put the chicken in the oven you have it skin side up. 

I've then cook the chicken at 350 for an hour and a half basting the chicken every 30 minutes or so.

I love this recipe I'd say I have to make it at least twice a month it's pretty easy and just delicious. Chicken comes out extremely tender and you get a very nice crispy skin. 

What are the ingredients? recipes are better when you can list the ingredients and then the directions.

I've been on a Kenji kick lately. He's got some awesome tips/recipes on his website and for anyone that loves to cook, I'd highly recommend his book, "The Food Lab."  It goes into the science of cooking; he busts a ton of myths and offers insight on many techniques and best practices.  Also, he goes though a lot of the very basics as far as knife cutting techniques, the purpose of different knives / kitchen equipment and how to properly cook different foods with various methods.  It's honestly made me a 100x better cook.

I got a pressure cooker on Prime Day since it was discounted pretty heavily and made one the best meals that I've eaten in some time last night. It was super easy and super healthy as well.

Green Chili w/ Chicken

Ingredients:

3 pounds chicken thighs w/ bones and skin

4 tomatillos

3 poblano peppers

2 Anaheim or Cubanelle

2 Jalapenos

6 peeled garlic cloves

1 tablespoon cumin (he recs whole seeds, i just used powder)

Salt

1 tablespoon fish sauce

Cilantro to garnish

Directions:

Cut all the peppers and remove core / seeds.  Combine chicken, tomatillos, poblanos, anaheims, jalapenos, garlic, cumin and salt in pressure cooker.  Heat over high heat until sizzling then seal pressure cooker and cook for 15 minutes (mine took a little longer, but it was my first time using it and I'm sure I didn't have the pressure on high enough)..

Remove chicken w/ tongs, add cilantro and fish sauce to pressure cooker and blend with immersion blender.  Remove skin and bones from chicken and shred then add back into broth.  

He recommends to serve it in a bowl and use tortillas for dipping and to add lime for taste (which probably would be delicious, but we ate it straight up and it was amazing).  

Review:

I was amazed how thick and rich the broth came out.  It's super easy to do if you have an immersion blender, otherwise you'll be dealing with big chunks of peppers.  You could probably transfer it to a traditional blender as well, if you have a decent one. I'm not a big cilantro guy, but I have to say it added a nice extra taste to this.  Only thing I wish I did different was to use the seeds from the jalapenos, it would've been even better with more of a kick.  Overall a recipe I will most certainly be using again, and perhaps trying it with a pork shoulder next time! 

Taste: 9/10

Ease of cooking: 9/10

Edited by BLick12

Mediterranean Chicken

Ingredients

2 whole chickens already pre-cut up with skin and bones (I tend to use just chicken thighs but in this quantity)

5 lb bag of red potatoes

1 can black olives

1 jar green olives

1 package of oregano

1 package of basil

4 garlic heads

1 lb zucchini

1 bottle kraft zesty Italian dressing

Directions

1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

2) Place the chicken on the bottom of an oven ready large roaster pan

3) Cut and clean the oregano and basil and place on top of the chicken

4) Peel the outer flaky skin off the garlic heads. Break the cloves off individually and leave the inner skin on. Place around the chicken.

5) Open and drain the jar and can of olives. Pour over the chicken.

6) Clean and cut the zucchini into smaller pieces (however you like your zucchini cut) and place over the chicken.

7) Clean and cut the potatoes into 1/2"-ish cubish pieces with the skin on.

8) Pour entire bottle of Italian dressing over the top

9) Place in oven for 1 hour covered.

10) Remove cover and mix vegetables around. Place back in oven for another hour.

11) Fish out the chicken from the bottom of the pan and place on a cookie sheet. Place the vegetables and chicken back in the oven for another 45 minutes.

12) Pull out and let cool for 20 minutes. Then EAT!

Chipotle Meatloaf:

1lb ground beef

2 peppers and a bit of adobo sauce

1/4 cup finally chopped onion

1/3 cup bread crumbs (I used Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs, but plain would work)

salt/pepper to taste

1 egg

BBQ Sauce to brush on top

----------------

I mixed that all together and I actually added in some Parmesan cheese, but that isn't needed (about 3/4 cup cheese if you want to add cheese), I put it into a muffin tin filling up about 9 of 12 tin spots. Then baked that at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Turned out very good and was quite simple to put together.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

I need a good wing recipe. Going to make wings for Thanksgiving since my brother and I will be fending for ourselves. I'd have a deep fryer to cook them in.

I'm actually a bigger fan of grilled wings, but I don't own a fryer.

Easiest buffalo sauce to make that will be a huge hit.

Cup of hot sauce (I'm a crystal guy, but pick whatever you like), half cup honey, stick of butter.  Put it on the stove top, melt the butter and whisk it altogether and apply.  You can definitely eat it hot, but as it cools down it'll thicken up a bit.

And don't be a savage, serve it with some blue cheese on the side.

Edited by BLick12
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm going to attempt to make this here VERY soon:

http://www.closetcooking.com/2016/10/cheesy-buffalo-mushroom-poppers.html

Buffalo covered fried stuffed jalapeno popper mushrooms with bleu cheese dipping sauce.

Not a big mushroom guy, but those look legit. Pretty sure I'd be a fan of anything buffalo though.

@TENINCH - If you aren't looking to do a sauce on them, I'd recommend tossing them in a rub basically that would have something like brown sugar, smoked salt (or smoked spice of some sort), pepper, touch of cumin and paprika, and chili powder, don't know the ratios, but it's very tasty on wings, gives that sweet, smokey, heat combo that I like quite well.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

I'm actually a bigger fan of grilled wings, but I don't own a fryer.

Easiest buffalo sauce to make that will be a huge hit.

Cup of hot sauce (I'm a crystal guy, but pick whatever you like), half cup honey, stick of butter.  Put it on the stove top, melt the butter and whisk it altogether and apply.  You can definitely eat it hot, but as it cools down it'll thicken up a bit.

And don't be a savage, serve it with some blue cheese on the side.

Another good one @TENINCH, is simple Atlanta style Wet Lemon Pepper.

Before you fry the wings up, sprinkle them with lemon pepper and a pitch of salt. 

When you get them out, make a mix of a stick of butter, 4 sliced-up lemons, and about a tablespoons of black pepper. make sure the butter is melted down and the lemons and pepper are in there as you melt the butter. Then take the lemon pepper mix and spin the fried up wings into it.

• Like 1