The Recipe Thread 2.0!

scar988

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

Another good one @TENINCH, is simple Atlanta style Wet Lemon Pepper.

Before you fry the wings up, sprinkle them with lemon pepper and a pitch of salt. 

When you get them out, make a mix of a stick of butter, 4 sliced-up lemons, and about a tablespoons of black pepper. make sure the butter is melted down and the lemons and pepper are in there as you melt the butter. Then take the lemon pepper mix and spin the fried up wings into it.

That sounds pretty good.

• 4 months later...

Grandma Viv's Peach Cobbler

Ingredients:

Fruit mixture:

2 lbs Peaches - fresh or frozen

1 shot Bourbon

1 cup sugar

Cinnamon, All Spice, Nutmeg

Cobbler:

1 cup sugar

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup milk

1 tbsp. baking powder

1/2 cup butter

Equipment:

4-5 qt pot

13x9 glass casserole dish

Preparation:

Fruit:

1) In a 4 of 5 qt pot, heat the peaches on a mid-low heat setting with all of the sugar poured in from the beginning

2) pour in shot of bourbon and spices as it is heating to a boil

3) when it reaches a simmer, let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Cobbler:

1) mix the sugar, flour, baking powder, and spices together using a whisk til it's all consistent

2) mix in the milk slowly adding a little bit at a time til it becomes consistent like a pancake batter

Assembly:

1) melt the butter down and pour it into the bottom of the dish

2) take the cobbler mixture and put it on top of the butter (do not stir)

3) take the fruit mixture and put it on top of the contents in the dish (do not stir, but do distribute the peaches as wide as you can)

4) bake for 40-45 minutes at 375 degrees until golden brown on top

5) take out and let cool for 3-5 minutes before serving with some vanilla ice cream

Edited by scar988

If you guys really want to impress people, make them the "Question Mark". Very simple recipe. Start by deep frying some chicken tenders and french fries, a good portion of each. You'll also need pulled pork and Alabama White BBQ Sauce, I use the following recipes. Once everythings done you dice up the chicken tenders and lay them down in a cake pan, top that with the french fries, top that with the pulled pork, add a mixture of cheddar and pepper jack cheese and then smother it in White BBQ Sauce. Broil it for a few minutes just to melt the cheese, and serve. Watch as people bite into it and melt down with pure joy and mouthgasm.

DRY RUB SEASONINGS                           PULLED PORK                   Rub the pork the night before and leave in fridge. Add the juice in roasting pan and cook for 5-6 hours on 275.

1 tablespoon brown sugar                 1 pork butt (bone in)
1 tablespoon paprika                         3 drops liquid smoke
2 teaspoons salt                                 1/2 cup of juice
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne

WHITE BBQ SAUCE                         Mix and blend all ingredients until smooth.

1 quart mayonnaise
3/4 quart apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper
Prepared horseradish
Lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

• 4 months later...

Was looking for a generic cooking thread but I guess this will do.

I'm unfortunately looking to cut back on sodium. I've recently been told MSG isn't as bad for you as once thought. Not sure if that's the case or not. Regardless, I'm willing to try about anything as a flavor enhancer that is low in sodium.

Who's got some leads on these magical items?

27 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Was looking for a generic cooking thread but I guess this will do.

I'm unfortunately looking to cut back on sodium. I've recently been told MSG isn't as bad for you as once thought. Not sure if that's the case or not. Regardless, I'm willing to try about anything as a flavor enhancer that is low in sodium.

Who's got some leads on these magical items?

If you're not at a point where you have to cut out all sodium, just stay away from processed/packaged foods. Anything you get in a box/can/drivethru is really, really, high in sodium. Cook fresh, and go lighter on the salt. Switch to Himalayan pink salt because it give you more salt flavor, so you use a lot less. 

A lot of the salt substitutes really aren't. They do provide different flavors though. You'll probably have to try a few to see which ones work with different things you're cooking. 

18 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

If you're not at a point where you have to cut out all sodium, just stay away from processed/packaged foods. Anything you get in a box/can/drivethru is really, really, high in sodium. Cook fresh, and go lighter on the salt. Switch to Himalayan pink salt because it give you more salt flavor, so you use a lot less. 

A lot of the salt substitutes really aren't. They do provide different flavors though. You'll probably have to try a few to see which ones work with different things you're cooking. 

This is good info. I'm already pretty good about eating fresh stuff but I do falter from time to time. My big thing was Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning would go on almost literally anything I ate lol. I no need to cut out all of it but I do need to cut it down and quite a bit. Taking precautions now rather than pay for it later. We do use pink salt but I was seeing what else was out there for alternatives.

Thanks again for the info!

38 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Italian seasoning, Chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder for savory. Add a tiny dash of salt and you get the full flavor. Tony's creole is pure salt.

I have all these things and will definitely try it. Thanks!!

Edited by JTagg7754

We were going to do Italian beef in the sous vide tonight. Ended up putting that on hold because of prep time needed and did some salmon instead.

Just put a healthy amount of salt on the fillet, put it in a bag and put some olive oil on it. Cooked it at 120° for 50 minutes. Took it out and patted it down. The skin peeled right off. Got my cast iron pan running hot with some vegetable oil and seared the side.

Bruh, lemme tell you what. I love salmon but have never been able to cook it correctly myself. But this..... oh my God. Flaky, moist and buttery. With a fantastic crust. Might be the best salmon I’ve ever had - and I didn’t even use aromatics or anything. This is gonna be great.

On 8/26/2018 at 8:43 PM, pwny said:

We were going to do Italian beef in the sous vide tonight. Ended up putting that on hold because of prep time needed and did some salmon instead.

Just put a healthy amount of salt on the fillet, put it in a bag and put some olive oil on it. Cooked it at 120° for 50 minutes. Took it out and patted it down. The skin peeled right off. Got my cast iron pan running hot with some vegetable oil and seared the side.

Bruh, lemme tell you what. I love salmon but have never been able to cook it correctly myself. But this..... oh my God. Flaky, moist and buttery. With a fantastic crust. Might be the best salmon I’ve ever had - and I didn’t even use aromatics or anything. This is gonna be great.

Sous Vide is always interesting for me. I've found with things I can't cook well, it makes them better. But with things I can, I can't figure the thing out.

• 2 years later...

Grandma Viv's Noodle Kugel

Ingredients:

16 oz Medium Egg Noodles

1 Stick of butter - melted

8 oz. drained crushed pineapple

4 Eggs - well beaten

1 - 1/2 cups Sugar

24 oz small curd cottage cheese

16 oz sour cream

1 tbsp cinnamon

1 tbsp vanilla

Pinch of salt

Additional 8 oz crushed pineapple and 16 oz dried blueberries - or - 16 oz of assorted fruit bits (raisins, craisins, apricot, etc bits) - or - dried apples and peaches and additional tbsp of cinnamon - or - Any sort of dried fruit you want. Have fun with it!

Equipment:

4-5 qt pot for boiling noodles

Large glass casserole dish

Large bowl for mixing stuff

Preparation:

1) Preheat the oven to 350

2) Boil the noodles for 1 minute less than directed by the package. Drain and set aside. Note: They will fully cook throughout the baking process. 

3) Mix the butter, pineapple, eggs, sugar, cottage cheese, sour cream, cinnamon, vanilla and salt in bowl. Be careful to temper the butter so that the eggs don't cook while they're sitting in the mixture.

4) Mix the noodles into the mixture with everything else.

5) Add in the additional fruit you chose and fold it in evenly.

6) Spread mixture evenly into your large glass casserole dish and place into the preheated oven

7) Bake for an hour

8) Take out and let cool for a couple of minutes. Then serve!

On 4/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, scar988 said:

Grandma Viv's Peach Cobbler

Ingredients:

Fruit mixture:

2 lbs Peaches - fresh or frozen

1 shot Bourbon

1 cup sugar

Cobbler:

1 cup sugar

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup milk

1 tbsp. baking powder

1/2 cup butter

Equipment:

4-5 qt pot

13x9 glass casserole dish

Preparation:

Fruit:

1) In a 4 of 5 qt pot, heat the peaches on a mid-low heat setting with all of the sugar poured in from the beginning

2) pour in shot of bourbon and spices as it is heating to a boil

3) when it reaches a simmer, let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Cobbler:

1) mix the sugar, flour, baking powder, and spices together using a whisk til it's all consistent

2) mix in the milk slowly adding a little bit at a time til it becomes consistent like a pancake batter

Assembly:

1) melt the butter down and pour it into the bottom of the dish

2) take the cobbler mixture and put it on top of the butter (do not stir)

3) take the fruit mixture and put it on top of the contents in the dish (do not stir, but do distribute the peaches as wide as you can)

4) bake for 40-45 minutes at 375 degrees until golden brown on top

5) take out and let cool for 3-5 minutes before serving with some vanilla ice cream

Is she single