The Recipe Thread 2.0!

scar988

On 5/5/2022 at 1:22 PM, Daniel said:

Kenji Lopez-Alt's channel is great.  Binging with Babish is pretty cool too.  They're more niche and more for fun, but I also really like Tasting History and Townsends.  They do a lot of historical recipes.  My Name is Andong is pretty good too.

I recommend these…

On 5/5/2022 at 11:33 AM, mattyice0401 said:

Anyone know of any good YT recipe channels? Kinda wanna start building up some recipes and wanna find some inspiration for them

You got some really good suggestions - I’ll add in Alton Brown.

• Like 2

Also found thatdudecancook and for some reason he beats up his fridge when he gets excited. Not sure why but I enjoy seeing the flying knee strikes to a fridge. 

Yeung Man Cooking has some good recipes too. He is a little monotone at times but I haven't made anything like his that I haven't liked. 

Pro Home Cooks isnt bad either (as noted above). His brother is a total hippie that makes me laugh and has some good ones. 

Brian Lagerstrom (sp?) has some good ones too. Some of his are more formal dinners. Made a braised beef of his that I would recommend 100/100. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ladies, I have made the second best pizza I have ever tasted second only to A&B Pizza in Bismarck/Mandan, North Dakota.

What you will need:

1. Cast iron pizza pan
2. Fresh, full fat mozzarella cheese in a block NOT SHREDDED ****. THIS IS ****ING CRUCIAL!
3. The rest of the stuff I'm about to explain.
4. High quality parmesan cheese, shredded is fine, but not the powder. Don't skimp on the quality of the parm.

Sauce:
Drain one can whole tomatoes.
Place tomatoes into blender and blend for just a few seconds.
Add to sauce pan.
Put in about a teaspoon of basil leaves (more than that)
Put in a teaspoon of oregano leaves (more than that)
A whole **** ton of ground sage (more than that)
A whole bunch of parsley leaves (more than that)
A teaspoon of thyme leaves (this is about enough for the thyme leaves)
Throw in half a stick of butter
Cook on low heat while you do the rest of this ****

Crust:
This one is the only aspect open to improvement. If you have any tips for a more New York style crispy, yet chewy crust, let me know.

I used active dry yeast. Mixed with some just past room temperature water and some cane sugar.
All purpose flour, but I added some ground sage to my flour. As well as salt and pepper.

Get the crust as thin as you can, then line your cast iron pizza pan with olive oil.

Moisten the top of the crust with olive oil and leave it set for a minute.

Grate the mozzarella at the biggest size hole on your grater. Then throw it in the freezer for about ten minutes.

Bake the crust as high as your oven can go until you can just see it start to brown, then remove the crust.

Add the pizza sauce. I did just a very thin layer of sauce, but then I sprinkled more ground sage on top of the crust.

Add the mozzarella and a little bit of Parmesan cheese on top of the sauce.

Then add a little bit more sage, thyme, oregano, basil and parsley on top of the cheese.

Bake until the cheese starts to turn brown.

HOLY **** WAS THIS GOOD PIZZA!

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a good whole roasted chicken recipe?

Thinking about making myself that for thanksgiving. I don’t really wanna do a beer can recipe just not a fan of it and think it’s a bit overrated personally.

Thinking about going the brining route and would preferably like some ethnic flavors as well but am open to anything. 

Thanks in advance. 

15 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Thinking about making myself that for thanksgiving. I don’t really wanna do a beer can recipe just not a fan of it and think it’s a bit overrated personally.

Thinking about going the brining route and would preferably like some ethnic flavors as well but am open to anything. 

Thanks in advance. 

Best way to roast a chicken is to brine it ahead of time, cut out the spine so it cooks more evenly, and tuck or cut off the wing tips.  Time varies per bird because they have different sizes, so just temp it.  But cutting out that spine and flattening it out will make for much more even cooking.

As for a brine recipe, just make sure to have plenty of salt, some sugar, and then just whatever herbs and spices you want in it (peppercorns, bay leaves, rosemary, and some lemon slices is always classic), bring it to a boil, then cool it with ice and soak chicken overnight in it.

I recommend cooking the chicken at a low temp for a long time until it comes to temp (like 325), then taking it out and sticking it under the broiler for a minute or two to crisp the skin up.  That should prevent burning a little better, especially if it's a big chicken.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Thanks in advance. 

I highly recommend this recipe. I've made it multiple times with great results.

Do you have a smoker? I smoked my turkey last year and it was great. 

Used this brine: 

Ingredients

• 8 quarts water

• 6 bay leaves

• 2 cups Kosher salt

• 3 tablespoons peppercorns

• 1 head of garlic

• 16 ounces pure maple syrup

Preparation

Put all the ingredients in a pot and bring the brine close to a boil, then turn off the stove and let it cool. Put a bag in 5-gallon bucket. Put the turkey in the bucket after it's been washed and insides removed. Pour the brine over the turkey until the turkey is submerged. Let it stand overnight outside or in the refrigerator. After 24 hours, take it out and rinse it off. Put it in the oven breast down at 160 degrees. Halfway through, turn it over. Once it's ready, take it out and put foil on it. Then, let it sit for about an hour before eating.

• Like 1

I made some chicken thighs yesterday that turned out awful.  I'm kinda mad about it tbh.  They should've turned out good, but i think i ****ed up the actual chicken, didn't get a good crisp on it because i basically boiled it in some marinara sauce.  So that sucks.  Just had a terrible gloopy texture.  Should've at least seared it in a pan first or something.  But i was drunk and lazy and it went badly.

The mozzarella crisped up nicely tho.  So there's that.