The Recipe Thread 2.0!

scar988

1 hour ago, mattyice0401 said:

Was thinking about basting it in some form of hot sauce over the cooking period, would it burn if i did that or should i be fine? @Cheesehead430@Daniel

Basting just ensures the skin won't crisp.  Get your flavor in with brining.  Normally, I think basting is to keep meat moist, which will be unnecessary here (brining and even cooking will keep things moist), and I definitely wouldn't do it with hot sauce.

To get a hot sauce flavor on the chicken, maybe rub some cayenne and paprika under the skin and in the cavity.  Or just put hot sauce on it when it's out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Basting just ensures the skin won't crisp.  Get your flavor in with brining.  Normally, I think basting is to keep meat moist, which will be unnecessary here (brining and even cooking will keep things moist), and I definitely wouldn't do it with hot sauce.

To get a hot sauce flavor on the chicken, maybe rub some cayenne and paprika under the skin and in the cavity.  Or just put hot sauce on it when it's out.

True. I love buffalo wings and they usually get their crispiness from the deep fryer.

29 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Hamburgers are better in cast iron pan

Whereas brats are best grilled

I cook burgers in bulk on the grill then put them in a container full of au jus. Then I can pan cook them whenever I want. Can add some mushroom and flour to the au jus and make a hell of a mushroom burger.

• Like 1

Just now, Sugashane said:

I cook burgers in bulk on the grill then put them in a container full of au jus. Then I can pan cook them whenever I want. Can add some mushroom and flour to the au jus and make a hell of a mushroom burger.

Thats all and good, but what if you are hungry straight off?

Seems like too many steps, but in a vaccuum it sounds delicious

Just now, Malfatron said:

Thats all and good, but what if you are hungry straight off?

Seems like too many steps, but in a vaccuum it sounds delicious

I'm always hungry. Thats why theres 8-10 patties in the fridge now.

Honestly I do a lazy man carnivore diet so theyre a staple for me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Was in a weird mood while food shopping and picked up beef heart. Then realized I have no idea how to prepare this. 

Anyone have any good recipes or preferred methods of cooking?

It's very tough.  So you're gonna want to braise it for a very long time.  Also, it lacks fat, so make sure whatever you braise it in has some butter or oil added to it.

But it's beef.  Heart meat tastes like regular muscle tissue, and not like other organs, so the flavor is going to be familiar.  What are you looking for?  Like, do you want to just try it out in a way that's familiar?  Is this for a party?  Are you wanting to play up the shock factor by serving something that's obviously an organ?

If that doesn't matter, I'd dice it up, brown the pieces in a pan or dutch oven, then braise it beef bourguignon style: wine, beef broth, carrots, mushrooms, onions, maybe potatoes, with some salt, pepper, herbs, and lots of butter.

Unrelated, but chicken hearts are literally my favorite part of a chicken.  They are sooooo good.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

It's very tough.  So you're gonna want to braise it for a very long time.  Also, it lacks fat, so make sure whatever you braise it in has some butter or oil added to it.

But it's beef.  Heart meat tastes like regular muscle tissue, and not like other organs, so the flavor is going to be familiar.  What are you looking for?  Like, do you want to just try it out in a way that's familiar?  Is this for a party?  Are you wanting to play up the shock factor by serving something that's obviously an organ?

If that doesn't matter, I'd dice it up, brown the pieces in a pan or dutch oven, then braise it beef bourguignon style: wine, beef broth, carrots, mushrooms, onions, maybe potatoes, with some salt, pepper, herbs, and lots of butter.

Unrelated, but chicken hearts are literally my favorite part of a chicken.  They are sooooo good.

Definitely trying that braise!

Normally I cook my steak/ground beef with butter and salt.