The Recipe Thread 2.0!

scar988

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

tbh, I've never really had lentils before that I can recall. I'm open to trying them. Seems like something that is big in Indian and SE Asian cuisine for curries. So it would be interesting to try for sure.

Yeah, very popular in Indian food, middle eastern food, and islander food.  They're beans.  They taste similar to other beans.

There are three kinds (commonly, at least, there might be more): brown/green, orange/red, and black.  The recipe I posted is for red/orange lentils, which are a little milder and sweeter in flavor than the other two.  For lentil soup, or lentils cooked with stew meat like a pot of beans, I'd recommend green/brown lentils.  All but black are easily findable in most grocery stores.  Black lentils are fancier and pricier.  I don't remember them tasting much different than brown/green.

When you cook them, they only take about 20 minutes if you want them to stay firm.  If you want them to break down more like split peas, then just add like 5 more minutes.

• Like 1

Tried making my mother’s cornbeef brisket tonight and failed miserably.

The cake I made worked out much better. Original recipe was an almond cake from Milk Street, but being slightly allergic to almonds, I replaced the almond flour with tigernut flour and the almonds on top with walnuts. Delicious. Would try again with other nut flours in the future.

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/spanish-almond-cake-tarta-de-santiago

Edited by Daniel

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 11:32 PM, Daniel said:

Tried making my mother’s cornbeef brisket tonight and failed miserably.

The cake I made worked out much better. Original recipe was an almond cake from Milk Street, but being slightly allergic to almonds, I replaced the almond flour with tigernut flour and the almonds on top with walnuts. Delicious. Would try again with other nut flours in the future.

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/spanish-almond-cake-tarta-de-santiago

Could this be done with regular flour?

28 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Could this be done with regular flour?

Yeah, probably, but then it’s a flavorless cake with nuts on it. The point of using the nut flour is to flavor the cake, so if you skip that, I wouldn’t bother making it.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:16 AM, Ty21 said:

I think my favorite thing I’ve made is my chili. 
-3 to 4 lbs stew meat (chuck roast is infinitely better but cutting 4 lbs into cubes make me want to kill myself)

-dehydrated ancho chiles and jalepenos toasted on stovetop, then food processor until fine powdered, add cocoa powder, cornmeal, cumin, oregano and chicken stock to make a chili paste 

-brown meat and sweat some onions and deglaze w modelo, then add diced Roma tomatoes, brown sugar, kidney beans, paste stuff, more chicken stock and let it simmer like 3 hrs 

I made it with habeneros last time and it was like on the verge of being too spicy without being too spicy. 

I noticed you talking about weight loss and have you ever thought to use ground turkey in your chili?? I made that switch a long while ago and will never look back. I also will never not add Chorizo either but that won't help w/ any weight loss.

I made an enchilada inspired chili earlier this year w/ nothing more than my own thoughts and it was probably the best chili I've ever made. I enjoy chili waaaay too much. I like what you have going on up there and might toss in those ingredients next year when it's cold enough to warrant cooking chili. I can't do 3 hours though lol. > 8 at least.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I noticed you talking about weight loss and have you ever thought to use ground turkey in your chili?? I made that switch a long while ago and will never look back. I also will never not add Chorizo either but that won't help w/ any weight loss.

I made an enchilada inspired chili earlier this year w/ nothing more than my own thoughts and it was probably the best chili I've ever made. I enjoy chili waaaay too much. I like what you have going on up there and might toss in those ingredients next year when it's cold enough to warrant cooking chili. I can't do 3 hours though lol. > 8 at least.

I calorie count so I can for the most part eat what I want as long as the unhealthier stuff isn’t overindulged and my job is pretty physical so it offsets using less healthy meats in chili and stuff. Also I went like a month of eating nothing but ground turkey and don’t think I’ll go back to it anytime soon lol

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/3/2021 at 8:30 PM, Ty21 said:

I’m down about 20 lbs in a month and overall like down 110-120 from my highest weight (haven’t weighed this much since 8th grade lol) thanks to my annoying diet (calorie counting). I eat cereal every morning, a pb&j every lunch and then soup for dinner. I tried more traditional diets but couldn’t stick with them cause I always felt hungry. 

tonight I made a shrimp and crab tomato bisque that is so bomb. 
4 diced tomatoes, garlic minced, shrimp, heavy whipping cream, crab, basil, tomato paste, rosé wine. It’s not complicated at all but it’s so damn good. 

On 3/5/2021 at 11:16 AM, Ty21 said:

I think my favorite thing I’ve made is my chili. 
-3 to 4 lbs stew meat (chuck roast is infinitely better but cutting 4 lbs into cubes make me want to kill myself)

-dehydrated ancho chiles and jalepenos toasted on stovetop, then food processor until fine powdered, add cocoa powder, cornmeal, cumin, oregano and chicken stock to make a chili paste 

-brown meat and sweat some onions and deglaze w modelo, then add diced Roma tomatoes, brown sugar, kidney beans, paste stuff, more chicken stock and let it simmer like 3 hrs 

I made it with habeneros last time and it was like on the verge of being too spicy without being too spicy. 

I was kicking myself cause I wanted to make these a little while ago and found I didn’t write down my recipe literally anywhere in my notes or anything. Lo and behold it’s right here lol. Just not the dimensions but that’ll be easy enough. 

• Like 1