Thoughts and Observations: Week 3 [Steelers]

WindyCity

9 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Callahan had a really rough week against the Falcons so i cant really put him at the same level as Fuller & Cooper and what they have done so far this year

Ok, I can see that. Cooper has had several blown coverages this season, but has been lucky enough for these to be overthrown as the very early pass he was beat on this week. I'm not counting on us getting lucky for this as it has been a regularly occurring thing for him over the last year.

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Christ, they should have just kept Hoyer. They may be 3-0.

This was what I was yelling when we signed him. Hoyer is nothing special, but is a far better than Glennon at least.

32 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I agree they should have just kept Hoyer.  Though part of me believes that one of the reasons they signed Glennon to that contract was to deceive other teams in thinking that they wouldn't be going after a QB in round 1 (Trubisky).  

If that's part of the reason and Trubisky pans out then it was worth all that money.  Good thing is there is no financial commitment to Glennon moving past this year.  If Trubisky shows any glimmer of hope at some point this season then no one has to worry about Glennon ever being in a Bears uni again.

32 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I agree they should have just kept Hoyer.  Though part of me believes that one of the reasons they signed Glennon to that contract was to deceive other teams in thinking that they wouldn't be going after a QB in round 1 (Trubisky).  

If that's part of the reason and Trubisky pans out then it was worth all that money.  Good thing is there is no financial commitment to Glennon moving past this year.  If Trubisky shows any glimmer of hope at some point this season then no one has to worry about Glennon ever being in a Bears uni again.

20 hours ago, topwop1 said:

This just might be stupid and expensive enough to be a real reason for signing Glennon. However, maybe the only GM's dumb enough are former and current Bears' GMs.  It's 18 million we didn't have to pick up another decent OL backup or DB or NFL worthy WR for this season so it's definitely a real cost. As with the trade up, it's all worth it if Trubisky is indeed the franchise QB we've been looking for all these years.

No GM worth his salt is going to spend $18 million on a player he doesn't want as a smokescreen.

Pace has said, repeatedly and adamantly, that he has liked Glennon for a long time. This is a shot in the dark hoping he can play well enough to be traded for a pick next season (not gonna happen).

1 hour ago, G08 said:

No GM worth his salt is going to spend $18 million on a player he doesn't want as a smokescreen.

Pace has said, repeatedly and adamantly, that he has liked Glennon for a long time. This is a shot in the dark hoping he can play well enough to be traded for a pick next season (not gonna happen).

That's a big knock on Pace tbh. If he thought Glennon was going to be solid he was wrong. I shutter to think what this team would be without the hope that Mitch gives us.

On the flip side Elway was going to give Brock O a sizable contract and got very lucky.

2 hours ago, 51to54 said:

This just might be stupid and expensive enough to be a real reason for signing Glennon. However, maybe the only GM's dumb enough are former and current Bears' GMs.  It's 18 million we didn't have to pick up another decent OL backup or DB or NFL worthy WR for this season so it's definitely a real cost. As with the trade up, it's all worth it if Trubisky is indeed the franchise QB we've been looking for all these years.

Well the Bears still have about $11 million in cap space so even with that $18 million they still have the room. 

23 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Well the Bears still have about $11 million in cap space so even with that $18 million they still have the room. 

I get that we still have room, but we have 18 million less room (minus whatever other low range QB we'd have like Hoyer) . It's been a common statement on the Glennon contract.

It's like saying there is no difference working the same job for 100,000  a year compared to 150,000 a year  because after all 100,000 is a lot of money. Virtually NOBODY would take the 100,000 salary if they could have the 150,000.  Even if it nets out to only 10,000,000 more in cap, it's more cap for other positions because so far Glennon has not provided any ability that we didn't already have last season or could not have picked up for a lot less.

Not close to a top tier fail, but a fail none the less.

On 9/27/2017 at 9:19 AM, G08 said:

That's one of the underlying issues with the Glennon signing. Is Pace worth his salt? That's the concern.

Personally, I think that Pace knew what he had in his 2016 QB's and knew none were ever going to be quality starters and took a shot at a different unproven QB. So far, his shot failed and cost more than his previous non-quality starters cost. Two or three of these mid-level misses, unfortunate, but Pace can still grade out well. A continuing pattern of these mid-level misses his grade becomes defined by these misses.

2 hours ago, 51to54 said:

I get that we still have room, but we have 18 million less room (minus whatever other low range QB we'd have like Hoyer) . It's been a common statement on the Glennon contract.

It's like saying there is no difference working the same job for 100,000  a year compared to 150,000 a year  because after all 100,000 is a lot of money. Virtually NOBODY would take the 100,000 salary if they could have the 150,000.  Even if it nets out to only 10,000,000 more in cap, it's more cap for other positions because so far Glennon has not provided any ability that we didn't already have last season or could not have picked up for a lot less.

Not close to a top tier fail, but a fail none the less.

They still have the money to sign what ever said player you want so no it is not limiting the Bears from signing anyone like you stated.  A huge over payment yes, but it did not and still does not limit them from signing anyone.

Archived