5. 169 - MIN: Harrison Hand CB/Temple

RpMc

Hand has to be a FS. Metellus and Cole are both horrible in coverage and project better as box safeties. Hand on the other hand (no pun intended) is solid in coverage and plays like a safety more so than a corner. I think the talk about Dantzler converting to safety is BS. You can’t take someone who is great at what he does and change his position, especially when he is undersized for the safety position. With that being I think Hand will be a great safety and lead back- up to Harrison Smith. 

Edited by Purplepride323

10 hours ago, RpMc said:

They announced Cam Dantzler as a "defensive back," I wonder if they like him as a safety?

Basically all the corners were announced as “defensive backs”, so I wouldn’t read too much into that. Dantzler is a very good at press coverage, and he‘S skinny as a rail, they’re not going to make him a safety. 

10 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Lots of young CBs. How many do we carry this year? Who’s the slot?

They usually carry 6. On game days, they dress at least 5 and rotate 4 in regularly. The CB5 (and CB6 if active) play special teams.

Hughes, Gladney, Hill and Dantzler are likely the 4 corners who are actually going to play. 

Either Hughes or Gladney will likely be the nickel. Zimmer teaches the nickel as a separate role, and he doesn’t like to have rookies doing both. So if they put Gladney there as a rookie, he probably stays as a pure nickel this year and doesn’t play outside in base. If Hughes is the nickel, Gladney could be the CB2 in base, with an outside CB3 coming on in nickel to push Hughes inside.

Dantzler and Hill (and Gladney if he’s not the nickel) will compete for the CB2 role, outside opposite Hughes in base. The runner up can be the CB3, playing outside in nickel, and the other guy can play rotationally (Zimmer likes to rotate his outside corners at least a couple of times per game). 

CB5 is Boyd vs Hand. Maybe Boyd competes higher up the depth chart than this, but based on last year I think he’s a backup who’s good on special teams, but not someone Zimmer wants playing corner regularly (thus the need to draft 2 in their first 4 picks).

CB6 is usually a nickel. That might mean Meadors or the CFL guy, Sayles (or maybe Hand, but I guess he projects better outside). If Gladney is playing nickel (and Hughes can play that role too) they could keep both Boyd and Hand as depth.

9 hours ago, Krauser said:

Basically all the corners were announced as “defensive backs”, so I wouldn’t read too much into that. Dantzler is a very good at press coverage, and he‘S skinny as a rail, they’re not going to make him a safety. 

You’re probably right, but both Gladney and Hand were announced as cornerbacks. 

it’s all about what gets written down. 

I didn’t really know too much about this guy, but I was just looking over his combine results compared to the other DBs and he has some very explosive traits.

Vertical Jump:  41.0 (#1)

Broad Jump:  133.0 (#2)

Which I know was on the original post, but I wasn’t sure where that was in comparison to the other players in the class.

Edited by Kparty15

18 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I found the play that got him drafted by a Zimmer coached team.

His willingness to tackle and take on contact, combined with his insane explosion scores and pedestrian change of direction testing numbers really leads me to think he can make a hell of a free safety...

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 2

Just now, battle2heaven said:

His willingness to tackle and take on contact, combined with his insane explosion scores really leads me to think he can make a hell of a free safety...

Slot corner would be a better fit. 

Edited by RpMc

A little short for a storm troo... safety 😂

it’s also a combine where a lot of teams are throwing out the agility numbers due to the test schedule change. 

I want that guy close to the LoS as an overhang to help in the run game

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Whatever that means. lol. Please explain @RpMc

Love to! (Can you tell I’m missing coaching, yet?)

The Star position is a safety substitute for a linebacker in nickel defense - it’s most popular in Nick Saban’s Rip/Liz Match Cover 3 scheme. It’s a popular scheme because it protects Cover-3 teams from one of the ways they are most attacked which is with 4-vertical passing routes.  (In cover-3 the seams are a big danger spot). 

An overhang is your “force” player on the defense. Often the first player outside of the apex (apex is half way between the end player on the LoS and the next eligible receiver). This is the player responsible for making sure nothing in the run game gets outside of them. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Love to! (Can you tell I’m missing coaching, yet?)

The Star position is a safety substitute for a linebacker in nickel defense - it’s most popular in Nick Saban’s Rip/Liz Match Cover 3 scheme. It’s a popular scheme because it protects Cover-3 teams from one of the ways they are most attacked which is with 4-vertical passing routes.  (In cover-3 the seams are a big danger spot). 

An overhang is your “force” player on the defense. Often the first player outside of the apex (apex is half way between the end player on the LoS and the next eligible receiver). This is the player responsible for making sure nothing in the wrong game gets outside of them. 

Thank you.

Did you mean 'run' game?

• Like 1