Could Sacksonville been saved?

Elky

With the whole Yannick Ngakoue saga, he's essentially the last member of the what could have been the new Legion of Boom dubbed Sacksonville. So it got me thinking: what caused such a complete defense to be completely gutted in such a short time span and could it have been saved?

They had a lot of big personality players and brought in the absolute worst person possible to handle player relations for guys who aren't the "fall in line" type. They also kept a DC that many of those players don't think is capable of coaching. They created a powder keg, and it exploded.

That's the real simple explanation for it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Elky said:

With the whole Yannick Ngakoue saga, he's essentially the last member of the what could have been the new Legion of Boom dubbed Sacksonville. So it got me thinking: what caused such a complete defense to be completely gutted in such a short time span and could it have been saved?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-jaguars-went-from-doorstep-of-the-super-bowl-to-a-dysfunctional-mess-in-just-two-seasons/

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 3:33 PM, -Hope- said:

tom coughlin, from what it seems like.

It wasn't just Tom Coughlin, he was certainly a part of the problem but the fact that both Yan and Ramsey are still trash talking the organization says a lot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

@.Buzz What are your thoughts on a Judon and Yannick swap? Main exchange but could involve draft picks or other players.

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

Judon is 3 years older and definitely not as good of a player.

Pretty much this. Don't really think the Jags would be interested in that even with the situation at hand.

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

Judon is 3 years older and definitely not as good of a player.

The trade I an proposing centers around those two players, but I mentioned that other assets may be involved.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Pretty much this. Don't really think the Jags would be interested in that even with the situation at hand.

Judon and a 3rd or 4th for Yannick?

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

The trade I an proposing centers around those two players, but I mentioned that other assets may be involved.

Judon and a 3rd or 4th for Yannick?

Don't see it.

Whether right or wrong they're keeping their price on Yan. I doubt we gets moved unless someone decides to offer up a 1 next year. If they would've came off it I imagine something would've gotten done day 2 of the draft.

It never really existed outside of 5 games in 2017 against Colts x2, Texans x2, and 0-16 Cleveland.

2017:

• 33 sacks in those 5 games
  • 22 sacks in the other 11 games
  • 7 sacks in 3 playoff games

2018:

• 37 sacks in 16 games

• 47 sacks in 16 games

6.6 sacks per game in those 5 games

2.46 sacks per game in the other 46 games.

2 1/2 sacks a game puts you in that 13-19th best sack total range in the NFL.

Points per game were similar.

• 31 in those 5 games or 6.2 per game.
  • 234 in the other 11 in 21.3 per game
  • 69 in 3 playoff games or 23 per game
  • 316 in 2018 or 19.8 per game
  • 397 in 2019 or 24.8 per game

They were a decent bunch of players and they flashed at times, but they were nothing like a dominant D.

FYI - Jacksonville's Offense was ranked 5 points / 6 yards that year.  It was not legendary.

30 ppg in those 5 games... 24.3 in the other 11 ... 25 in the playoffs ... 

Note: I did not adjust for defensive scores. It moves things a bit but not much.

Edited by SkippyX

On 25/04/2020 at 1:40 PM, pwny said:

They had a lot of big personality players and brought in the absolute worst person possible to handle player relations for guys who aren't the "fall in line" type. They also kept a DC that many of those players don't think is capable of coaching. They created a powder keg, and it exploded.

That's the real simple explanation for it.

I think that's part of the explanation...but there's a lot more to it than that.

I don't think you can completely downplay the sort of, "winning fixes most things" aspect of it all.  Specifically, i think the complete ineptitude of the offense started to really wear on those "big personalities" on the other side of the ball.  To me, that was the spark that set off the powder keg.  Just going out there knowing they could be a great defense...only to watch the offense putter around pathetically while Bortles got all of the money...and proceeded to "earn" it by being an absolutely horrendous Quarterback tossing ducks all over the field.  That offense was actively costing the team games, and at some point...i think the will of that defensive group just broke.  It's honestly kinda hard to blame them.  But it got out of hand pretty quickly and the whole thing just blew up and collapsed altogether.

Complete breakdown of the locker room, and culture.  

You have an owner that makes them fly to London every year, a front office that, in violation of the CBA, fined a member of the team $700,000. 

700 grand in fraudulent fines!! Doubt he was the only one.  

When it comes to money, NFL players are all on the same team, theirs. As they should be. The kind of resentment that can foster is hard to overstate. 

• Like 1