5th Round (173rd overall) - WR Darnell Mooney, Tulane | Bears 2020 Draft

RJ_11

This kid can flat-out fly and I love his ball skills, contorts well and will go up and get the ball rather than letting it come to him and allow the defender to contest.

Similar athletic profile to Desean Jackson

• Like 1

We need him for 5-10 plays a game just to back defenses off and to catch a couple of passes and hopefully run.

This offense is painfully slow and teams know it and they crowd up and choke off the underneath stuff. Hopefully Mooney can put a little fear in them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We need him for 5-10 plays a game just to back defenses off and to catch a couple of passes and hopefully run.

This offense is painfully slow and teams know it and they crowd up and choke off the underneath stuff. Hopefully Mooney can put a little fear in them.

I think teams crowded up because they knew even when our WRs won down the field the QB wasn’t getting them the ball. Even in 2018 we had a lot of conversations about how Miller lost about 250 yards receiving after being wide open behind the defense and the throw not being able to hit him. That certainly didn’t get better in 2019. Speed will help too, and I’m glad we got a burner to diversify further, but converting down the field every once in a while will work wonders to soften up the coverage too. 

• Like 2

The more I watch of Mooney the more I think one aspect of his game is massively underplayed...a smaller WR with 4.38 speed you imagine running clean under the ball away from defenders...Mooney doesn't just make those plays...his ability to compete and high point the ball over a DB is really impressive as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, G08 said:

Heard a stat that this kid dropped 18% of his targets?

I read that on his NFL.com scouting report when he was drafted.  Not good, but you knew there were gonna be flaws given that he lasted until the fifth.

But hey, the Tulane HC came out and said that he never missed a practice OR class in his four years there!  B|

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I read that on his NFL.com scouting report when he was drafted.  Not good, but you knew there were gonna be flaws given that he lasted until the fifth.

But hey, the Tulane HC came out and said that he never missed a practice OR class in his four years there!  B|

Yeah, this kid apparently has a great work ethic and played as a true freshman. There are a lot of names ahead of him right now but maybe he can make an impact in the future.

I'd rather have receiver we need to work on bringing the ball in more securely than one who can't run his routes correctly to save his soul.

Check his eyesight and his depth perception.  Vision problems can cause that kind of problem.

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Ginn just took his 2020 game reps unless he balls out in preseason. 

Somewhat but I’m not sold all of them. Ginn is a shoe in for a top 3 role and I’m not sure Mooney was going to get a ton of those. I’d like to see a package with a 3WR bunch with Ginn, Mooney and Patterson running streaks paired with a delay screen to Montgomery underneath it isolated on a LB, or a quick slant to Kmet. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Somewhat but I’m not sold all of them. Ginn is a shoe in for a top 3 role and I’m not sure Mooney was going to get a ton of those. I’d like to see a package with a 3WR bunch with Ginn, Mooney and Patterson running streaks paired with a delay screen to Montgomery underneath it isolated on a LB, or a quick slant to Kmet. 

I know coaches banged table for Mooney, but he looks sooooo little at Tulane.  He just looks different from Hamler.  Not only thinner.  

Hamler has this ability I only also see in Lamar Jackson and before him Barry Sanders, you can be standing right next to him.  Right next to him and not be able to touch him for some reason.   Its crazy.  I imagine super powers with my kids and one of them is a slow down bubble around you.  Its like they can do that.  Keeps them from getting hit hard.

Mooney is super fast and cat quick, but I don’t see that same ability.  He just looks too small to play in this league and stay healthy.  

AB3-E89-E9-4-EFC-431-E-9-EC4-48-A8-BE9-F

CA4-F3-B2-B-FD9-B-443-F-9-BAA-7026-F1758

@dll2000 I’m not going to suggest that Mooney is Hamler as a prospect, but I don’t know how you can look at those two players and say one looks big enough to play in the league and the other doesn’t. I certainly haven’t seen enough Tulane football to suggest Mooney hasn’t been hit hard but Mooney missed the same amount of games as Hamler did the past two seasons (zero). 

• Like 1