Round 5, Pick 172: Jason Huntley

TL-TwoWinsAway

This is the kind of Quinn pick that frustrates me. He always does this in the later rounds - pick guys that are most likely to be useful on special teams. I get the theory, that a special teamer is better than nothing, but I just don't think that the team needs another RB. We have Kerryon and Swift, and I think that between Scarborough/Johnson you can piece together a third RB. You can always add a veteran or UDFA for next to nothing if you want to, and the team seems like it wants to have Bawden or someone at FB too. It's just...not necessary. 

4 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

This is the kind of Quinn pick that frustrates me. He always does this in the later rounds - pick guys that are most likely to be useful on special teams. I get the theory, that a special teamer is better than nothing, but I just don't think that the team needs another RB. We have Kerryon and Swift, and I think that between Scarborough/Johnson you can piece together a third RB. You can always add a veteran or UDFA for next to nothing if you want to, and the team seems like it wants to have Bawden or someone at FB too. It's just...not necessary. 

maybe he has seen enough at KR ANNND PR...and sick of watching KJ go down

• Like 1

He should definitely have a role returning punts and kick-offs.  He seems to have good speed and is pretty strong for his size.  I could see him catching a screen passes and getting time at slot WR.  I suspect that Ty Johnson might be a better slot WR but he he was kind of raw last year.  More speed is always better in today's NFL.

He seems very similar to Ty, which I don’t get.  This feels like a throw away pick and definitely not a need.  Our RBs were bad but not bad enough to spend two picks on the position.  We have good depth, just needed a starter.  I don’t see him as a full time slot because he is so small.  Just an odd pick and the only one in this draft I can’t understand.

18 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Does Ty Johnson return kicks and punts? If not, I think that's what gives Huntley the edge.

I think there is room for both. I see Huntley more playing the role we lost with McKissic signing elsewhere, while adding return ability as well. Depth is never a bad thing. 

I don’t think Ty makes the team. Hunt will fill the McKissic roll.  If he can find ways to contribute from the slot and on kr/pr that should guarantee him a roster spot at least early on.  I like Bo but he’s not guaranteed to make the team either.  Hunt offers the most outside of being a rb and that’s going to be a 2 man show for the other guys it’s going to be what can you do to get yourself on the field that the others cant. 

Im actually really confident in this rb group while trying to be cautiously optimistic about how the oline turns out.  This team needs guards that can play day 1 not be developed for next year.  Be real boom if Ragnow can take that next step and be one of the elite centers and leaders while taking these young og’s Under his wing further cementing his value to franchise

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BigC421/ said:

I don’t think Ty makes the team. Hunt will fill the McKissic roll.  If he can find ways to contribute from the slot and on kr/pr that should guarantee him a roster spot at least early on.  I like Bo but he’s not guaranteed to make the team either.  Hunt offers the most outside of being a rb and that’s going to be a 2 man show for the other guys it’s going to be what can you do to get yourself on the field that the others cant. 

Im actually really confident in this rb group while trying to be cautiously optimistic about how the oline turns out.  This team needs guards that can play day 1 not be developed for next year.  Be real boom if Ragnow can take that next step and be one of the elite centers and leaders while taking these young og’s Under his wing further cementing his value to franchise

I don’t think Bo will make the team either.  If he does he might be inactive.  That is if Huntley is the starting KR/PR.  It’s too bad because I thought he did some nice things and would be a cheap quality backup/power back option.  But with Swift/Johnson splitting carries I just don’t see how you can use a game day roster spot on an RB that will only get like 4 carries a game unless he turns into a special teams ace.

I don't particularly think any Detroit runningback showed much promise. Maybe Kerryon, but I think we've seen his ceiling and injuries are an obvious concern. He's more of a #2 when healthy. I don't mind us doing everything possible to improve the run game. If we're rebuilt, it's unacceptable for us to have rebuilt into a team that still can't run the ball. We haven't been able to run the ball for 25 years.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I don't particularly think any Detroit runningback showed much promise. Maybe Kerryon, but I think we've seen his ceiling and injuries are an obvious concern. He's more of a #2 when healthy. I don't mind us doing everything possible to improve the run game. If we're rebuilt, it's unacceptable for us to have rebuilt into a team that still can't run the ball. We haven't been able to run the ball for 25 years.

I agree that if it’s better than i’m All for it.  I’m so tired of not being able to run the ball or have a 4 min offense.

12 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Reggie Bushs one year of production laughs

jkjk

• Like 1