5.175 - Kamal Martin [LB; Minnesota]

CWood21

16 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I'm not sure I'm following.  Tramon was a mess through 2011 due to the shoulder, but I disagree it's long-term affected his play.  He's still playing at a starter level at 36; that's crazy for a CB and doesn't show signs of diminished athleticism or capability.

And again, Martin's athleticism was MIA in 2019 with the knee.  You aren't going to see that athlete on tape unless you go back to 2018 or earlier, and unfortunately I can't find any available tape for him from those years.

But...the scouting report from some draft site says he has a lot of "cons".

I mean, I get it, but getting overly "up" or "down" on someone when there isn't good tape and going off of some internet site just turns me off.  Maybe if I was younger I'd care more about what other people think instead of thinking critically myself.

It is about as bad as the puff pieces that are coming out now and will be in full force really soon.

14 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I'm not sure I'm following.  Tramon was a mess through 2011 due to the shoulder, but I disagree it's long-term affected his play.  He's still playing at a starter level at 36; that's crazy for a CB and doesn't show signs of diminished athleticism or capability.

And again, Martin's athleticism was MIA in 2019 with the knee.  You aren't going to see that athlete on tape unless you go back to 2018 or earlier, and unfortunately I can't find any available tape for him from those years.

The way I've found works best is to find another guy on a player's side of the ball from the same team who got drafted the year you want to look and google "drafted player vs. (year)". There's usually a few results. You'll have to really look for the guy on each play but if you want to put in the effort it's about the only way.

In this instance "Blake Cashman vs. 2018" brings up four or five results.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

The way I've found works best is to find another guy on a player's side of the ball from the same team who got drafted the year you want to look and google "drafted player vs. (year)". There's usually a few results. You'll have to really look for the guy on each play but if you want to put in the effort it's about the only way.

In this instance "Blake Cashman vs. 2018" brings up four or five results.

Oh damn, that's a good idea.  Never even considered that, good lookin out fam.  Might have to go run through that after my Chandon Sullivan watch.  Which I should be done with approximately three weeks before the heat death of the universe, if my watch is correct.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

But...the scouting report from some draft site says he has a lot of "cons".

I mean, I get it, but getting overly "up" or "down" on someone when there isn't good tape and going off of some internet site just turns me off.  Maybe if I was younger I'd care more about what other people think instead of thinking critically myself.

It is about as bad as the puff pieces that are coming out now and will be in full force really soon.

I agree, but I know I definitely have fallen into that camp myself more than once over the years so I'm going to stick to throwing only very small rocks from my glass house.

On 6/2/2020 at 4:10 PM, MrBobGray said:

You'd have to go back and look at his tape from 2012-2014. He lost a step and a lot of it had to do with the fact that he was still having to play with a harness on his shoulder I think. I just remember him getting burned a lot and him playing a softer due to the shoulder. As for Martin, I saw that highlight tape and he looks a lot better lining up from the EDGE rather than inside, which is why I could understand a previous poster suggesting that he could take a chunk of Fack's old role. If the athletic trainers thought he was good enough to play with a bum knee last year I can't help but think that the effect will linger for who knows how long. 

Again, this is a 5th round pick we're talking about here so he's a lottery ticket; but what I am saying is that I don't think he's that two-down thumper that scouts crack him up to be. That's all. I just don't see the consistent effort there on tape.

Edited by Joe