5.176 - MIN: KJ Osborn WR/Miami

RpMc

Hearing a lot of rave reviews about his work ethic, leadership ability and competitiveness. 

Osborn transferred to Miami and quickly became a team captain. That caught the eye of the Minnesota Vikings, who routinely look for high character players on Day 3 of the draft or in undrafted free agency. The Vikings have hit numerous times with players like Anthony Harris, Stephen Weatherly, Bisi Johnson and Ifeadi Odenigbo — all of whom did not exactly fit the mold of NFL stars but had character elements.

“K.J. is a phenomenal kid,” director of college scouting Jamaal Stephenson said. “Any time you go from the University at Buffalo and transfer down to Miami and instantly become a leader on that team—this guy was only there for a spring and they took him to ACC Media Days as a rep for the University of Miami, so that speaks to his leadership. He’s a hardworking kid.”

https://www.skornorth.com/2020/04/kj-osborn-will-make-a-difference-any-way-he-can/

• 3 weeks later...

Made a couple of KJ Osborn video edits. 

The bowl game is the best summary of who he can be as a player. 

He's an excellent punt returner. More like Patterson (finding angles, stopping and starting) than Harvin (explosive top end speed, aggressive). Very good at actually catching punts -- good hands, good judgement about which punts to catch, fair catch and not touch, and able to catch on the run in order to set up his return. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 2:44 PM, gopherwrestler said:

I honestly don’t know much about this guy.... but they must like him! You know me, always looking for an explosive PR/KR!

Same. I'm still waiting for the next Percy Harvin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Does Kubiak have any history with dynamic gadget players like Harvin though?

Good question. Not that I know of. 

Osborn isn't another Harvin, doesn't play with that level of aggression and explosion. He's fast but not a burner. He's more elusive, weaving through traffic, not a hammer but hard to bring down.

Hopefully Kubiak will find a way to get Osborn the ball in space on offense. Along with the gadget role, he can also contribute as a downfield receiver especially from the slot. He's good at finding holes in intermediate zones, and he can get deep. 

Here's the rest of my video edits of Osborn: 

• Like 1

I see what you mean. Its hard to have the level of explosiveness that Harvin did. Chances are Osborn goes much higher in the draft than what he did if he was that explosive.

Still, he sees the field well and can make guys miss. He looks more like a RB at times than a receiver. That can be useful depending on the scheme.

I'm interested in him. I expect the 5th WR position to come down to Osborn, Hollins or Q. Davis. I don't see Beebe making the squad.

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm interested in him. I expect the 5th WR position to come down to Osborn, Hollins or Q. Davis.

I think people are sleeping on Alexander Hollins. If he is able to get a little bit bigger this offseason while maintaining that quickness and speed, he can make it very hard for the Vikings to cut him. 

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I was so confident Osborn was a offseason/preseason wonder and a nobody in the regular season. I'm really happy for him and hope he can continue his success.

Next year Olabisi Johnson as the #4 could round out maybe our best WR corps in a long time.

Or better yet,  maybe ISM will make a similar jump to Osborn next year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I was so confident Osborn was a offseason/preseason wonder and a nobody in the regular season. I'm really happy for him and hope he can continue his success.

Next year Olabisi Johnson as the #4 could round out maybe our best WR corps in a long time.

It feels like someone had to step up eventually. However, if Irv was healthy, I don't know if KJ would have had the chance to do what he's done. Hopefully Irv is back at full strength next season and we can see what fun things can be gameplanned with 4 legitimate receiving options. 

• Like 1