(Polls) 2020 Draft In-Review: Berry and DePo Rise Again

Mind Character

Draft Review Questions  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Browns Entire 2020 NFL Draft?

2. 2. Outside of Jedrick Wills Jr., who becomes the best player in this class within 3 years?

• Jacob Phillips, LB LSU
    • Harrison Bryant, TE FAU
    • Grant Delpit, S LSU
    • Jordan Elliot, DT Missouri
    • Nick Harris, OC Washington
    • Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR Michigan
  3. 3. When it's all said and done, barring injury what does Grant Delpit become in 6 Years?

• A Superstar, Consistent Multiple Pro-Bowler, a Few All-Pros
    • A Really Good Player, Makes a Few Pro-Bowls Before It's All Said and Done
    • A Solid, Good But Not Spectacular Player
    • A Boom-Bust Player Who Flashes Greatness a lot But Has Unbelievably Frustrating Low Lows
    • Cheek Cheeks. The Browns Will Seek to Replace Him in Three Years

11 minutes ago, mistakey said:

What really stands out to me is that they went hard after quality depth. Obviously, Wills, Hooper, and Conklin are penciled in to start day. 1. Then you have Joseph and Delpit.

However, Berry didn’t pull a John Dorsey and let his ego dictate how the roster should look.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

What's evidently clear about this draft and free agency is that Andrew Berry hit the ground running and has proven himself to be competent.

Time will tell of course, but competence in a 1st free agency and 1st draft as a full-time GM is not something that should be taken for granted.

He'll make mistakes on the way, but as long as he doesn't fall prey to power/ego-tripping and/or political infighting, his best is yet to come.

4 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

What's evidently clear about this draft and free agency is that Andrew Berry hit the ground running and has proven himself to be competent.

Maybe it’s because I’m a honk for the nerds, but literally no one should be surprised by this.

You don’t go to Harvard and then work for guys like Polian, Sashi the 🐐, and Howie and then become a GM by the time you’re 32 and not have your poop in a group.

• Like 2

Going a different direction for a moment. Imagine being Aaron Rodgers at this moment. That’s gonna be an awkward meeting for sure. 

Grant Delpit: Ok we stole him if the reports of his ankle are true. My ankles would be what you guys would consider be “cheeks.” I’m not a D1 power conference all American Safety either, but I know what that injury does to someone. He still played great though which is crazy. I think we just got somebody who’s tough as hell and an actual impact player in the 2nd round. Definitely the steal of the draft in my opinion.

- obviously love the Wills pick.
- Elliot was a good pick in terms of depth and upside. Gonna need a nice rotation of DL for our division.

- Bryant is really intriguing to me. OT in high school then moved to TE. Basically was his whole offense in college. I think we might of round a diamond in the rough there. 

PICK 10: CLEVELAND BROWNS — T JEDRICK WILLS, ALABAMA

There was still work to be done for the Browns at offensive tackle, even after signing Jack Conklin. They filled that void with one of the nastiest run-blockers in this draft class in Jedrick Wills. He is an absolute unit with elite explosiveness and agility and can wreck defenders in the run game. He posted an elite 90.5 run-block grade — sixth in the FBS last year — and had more big-time blocks (PFF’s highest-graded blocks) than anyone in the class. Wills’ pass protection isn’t on someone like Andrew Thomas’ level, but new Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski is going to love watching this guy pave holes for his rushing attack.

PICK 44: CLEVELAND BROWNS (VIA INDIANAPOLIS COLTS) — S GRANT DELPIT, LSU

Delpit was the highest-ranked safety on the PFF Draft Board and the 15th-best prospect overall. In other words, the Browns getting him 44th overall is a huge steal. He has NFL-ready coverage ability and short-area quickness that make him the best in the class. Delpit combined for 27 interceptions and forced incompletions in his three years with LSU, which tied for the most in the FBS. You can live with the missed tackles because of his otherwise elite coverage play.

PICK 88: CLEVELAND BROWNS (VIA NEW ORLEANS SAINTS) — DI JORDAN ELLIOTT, MISSOURI

The Browns are getting an absolute steal here. Elliott recorded the highest overall grade of any interior defender in this class since 2018, and he is coming off a 2019 campaign where he recorded 90.0-plus grades against the run and as a pass-rusher. The fact that he fell this far is a head-scratcher, but it ends up working out for Cleveland, which has now collected the Nos. 11, 15 and 23 players on our board.

PICK 97: CLEVELAND BROWNS — LB JACOB PHILLIPS, LSU

The Cleveland Browns taking a linebacker here is not shocking. However, the fact that it was Phillips is. There were simply better options (Troy Dye and Akeem Davis-Gaither, for example) on the board. Phillips showed at the NFL Combine that he was explosive with his jumps, but the three-cone/change of direction numbers weren’t great. That shows up on the tape. He is a straight-line player who got lost in coverage — a project at this point.

PICK 115: CLEVELAND BROWNS — TE HARRISON BRYANT, FAU

Harrison Bryant is a tweener. He doesn't have enough athleticism to play receiver and he's not quite strong enough to play traditional tight end. If he can bulk up some, however, he can become a quality tight end in Kevin Stefanski’s scheme with his ball skills and after-the-catch ability. Bryant has posted elite 90.0-plus receiving grades in each of the last three seasons.

PICK 160: CLEVELAND BROWNS — IOL NICK HARRIS, WASHINGTON

The Browns got a steal in Nick Harris, who was 93rd on the PFF Big Board, and are going to love what he brings to the table as a run-blocker. As said in the PFF Draft Guide, he had some gorgeous reach blocks on outside zones (i.e. Stefanski’s bread and butter). He’s steadily improved in each season of his career and is only scratching the surface technique-wise.

PICK 187: CLEVELAND BROWNS — WR DONOVAN PEOPLES-JONES, MICHIGAN

Peoples-Jones is explosive and has the physical tools to make him look like a complete wide receiver, but then you see him actually run routes and you can see he’s far from that. His inability to separate is a huge concern, but getting a receiver with the kind of tools Peoples-Jones has at pick 187 is pretty good value.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

PICK 97: CLEVELAND BROWNS — LB JACOB PHILLIPS, LSU

The Cleveland Browns taking a linebacker here is not shocking. However, the fact that it was Phillips is. There were simply better options (Troy Dye and Akeem Davis-Gaither, for example) on the board. Phillips showed at the NFL Combine that he was explosive with his jumps, but the three-cone/change of direction numbers weren’t great. That shows up on the tape. He is a straight-line player who got lost in coverage — a project at this point.

Every point that I made about him before was in this evaluation.

Not sure of the value of a linear, straight line, stiff/tight-hipped, occasional thumper with limited instincts and feel for pass coverage.

It's the oddball of oddballs in the 3rd round to take a 34-ILB traits LB.

Maybe the Browns are still planning to move to a 34 at some point next year.

27 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Every point that I made about him before was in this evaluation.

Not sure of the value of a linear, straight line, stiff/tight-hipped, occasional thumper with limited instincts and feel for pass coverage.

It's the oddball of oddballs in the 3rd round to take a 34-ILB traits LB.

Maybe the Browns are still planning to move to a 34 at some point next year.

Elliot actually fits a 3-4 as well...