With the 189th pick, the Jaguars select QB Jake Luton

pwny

Not really a big fan of this pick.  He's got some okay traits at least, and he certainly isn't Tanner Lee levels of lol...but it just feels like this pick (or one of the other plethora of Day3 picks) would've been better spent moving up a bit to grab someone like Jacob Eason earlier, who has some flags and isn't an experienced or polished product by any means...but has a lot of potential upside imo.

Luton seems like kind of a..."snap it an throw it" QB for the most part.  With an okay arm and lots of tallness.  Don't really see much beyond that.

On the one hand, i'm sure people will argue for "benefit of the doubt" because they lucked into a guy like Minshew last year who has wildly exceeded expectations.  But they've also drafted and traded for a ton of late round type QB projects who have been totally useless and never really done anything worth noting.  One "hit" doesn't really erase that.

I don't mind the idea of just continuing to grab QB projects in the later rounds fairly regularly and cycling through them to see if they're building on anything over the year.  Especially with plenty of extra Day3 picks.  I just think that draft capital probably could've been better parlayed into a prospect like Eason, who i liked quite a bit better.  These Day3 QB prospects are always a real crapshoot though...and often it is the less "flashy" and "lower upside" guys who ultimately end up carving out careers as backups/3rd stringers.  Luton kinda feels like he's still got most of the bust potential, with less boom potential.