Undrafted Free Agent Thread

tyler735

10 minutes ago, Dome said:

I didn’t read that profile as “pretty solid”  cause it says the action needs to come to his living room if he’s gonna make a play. Lol... it did make me laugh though 

should be a good camp body nonetheless 

Haha yeah was an interesting description. "Solid" obviously being relative to all of his undrafted peers. Many draft sites had him as a 4th-6th round pick. He sounds like a bit of an old school MLB that excels in the run game, which has been phased out a bit in today's game, but a lot of reports state he plays disciplined and ran a 4.6 40, so it seems like he could potentially be a depth guy for us that could even be a situational LB on early downs. He had a PED suspension this past year, which likely played a pretty big role in him not getting drafted instead of being picked in those mid rounds.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

WR Marquez Callaway, Tennessee

OL Calvin Throckmorton, Oregon

OL Jordan Steckler, Northern Illinois

DT Malcolm Roach, Texas.

OT Darrin Paulo, Utah

RB Tony Jones Jr., Notre Dame

CB Keith Washington, West Virginia

LB Joe Bachie, Michigan State

WR Juwan Johnson, Oregon

DE Gus Cumberlander, Oregon

DB Tino Ellis, Maryland

P Blake Gillikin, Penn State

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Haha yeah was an interesting description. "Solid" obviously being relative to all of his undrafted peers. Many draft sites had him as a 4th-6th round pick. He sounds like a bit of an old school MLB that excels in the run game, which has been phased out a bit in today's game, but a lot of reports state he plays disciplined and ran a 4.6 40, so it seems like he could potentially be a depth guy for us that could even be a situational LB on early downs. He had a PED suspension this past year, which likely played a pretty big role in him not getting drafted instead of being picked in those mid rounds.

Special teamer at the very least... he’s got trouble changing directions and reacting to quick cuts... But I bet you can send him screaming down the field on kick returns, let him blow up some blockers maybe **** around and make a tackle 

• Like 1

For the most part a good UDFA class. Callaway, Thockmorten and Jones Jr. stand out as guy who could make either the main roster or the practice squad. I wish we picked up more boundary CBs as that's the only real area of worry for me.

Overall I think we had a good draft. With 3 picks I thought we took 3 guys who could all contribute next year with a potential to be starters down the road. We filled the need at LBer. Got up upgrade at iOL. And lastly added another weapon for Brees.

2 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

For the most part a good UDFA class. Callaway, Thockmorten and Jones Jr. stand out as guy who could make either the main roster or the practice squad. I wish we picked up more boundary CBs as that's the only real area of worry for me.

Overall I think we had a good draft. With 3 picks I thought we took 3 guys who could all contribute next year with a potential to be starters down the road. We filled the need at LBer. Got up upgrade at iOL. And lastly added another weapon for Brees.

Totally agree. Our roster looks as good as possible with a QB not on a rookie deal. Still hope we bring in a Corner who could play on the outside to backup Jenkins and Lattimore, but also very interested in the development of Keith Washington. There are not many late round prospects I really know but I feel strong about him. With a combine invite or a Pro Day, I think he would have been a late round pick by someone. Hope he proves me right and makes the roster as a 5th or 6th string corner and Special Teamer

1 hour ago, whodatOL said:

Totally agree. Our roster looks as good as possible with a QB not on a rookie deal. Still hope we bring in a Corner who could play on the outside to backup Jenkins and Lattimore, but also very interested in the development of Keith Washington. There are not many late round prospects I really know but I feel strong about him. With a combine invite or a Pro Day, I think he would have been a late round pick by someone. Hope he proves me right and makes the roster as a 5th or 6th string corner and Special Teamer

What do you think he does well? And what do you think he needs to improve on? I don't really know much about him. I just don't want a P-Rob or PJ Williams manning one side of the field lol

As noted earlier in the thread Joe Bachie seems to be a pretty solid run stopping LB. It seems PFF seems to love the guy as a run defender getting "elite" scores from them the past 2 seasons. I know their scores can be flawed at times, but it is at least encouraging to see these high scores him. He may be limited in coverage, but seems he has the talent to develop into a solid run stopping LB for us.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 2

Bachie is going to be an interesting case. From all reports it seems he's a guy who has a high football IQ and underrated athleticism. I've read reports saying he's fine in short zones but doesn't have the ability to stick with quicker RBs and TEs. Him being a great run defender at the very least should help him get on the roster to take the Te'o role as STer/2 down guy. He does have some competition to overcome. Davis, Anzalone, Baun, Kiko and Robertson are already pencilled in. Then you've got Elliss from last year who the coaches are apparently really high on. I know Kiko is probably starting on PUP and Anzalone is an injury risk but I don't think we carry more than 6 LBers. So he does have to beat out Elliss at the very least.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

As noted earlier in the thread Joe Bachie seems to be a pretty solid run stopping LB. It seems PFF seems to love the guy as a run defender getting "elite" scores from them the past 2 seasons. I know their scores can be flawed at times, but it is at least encouraging to see these high scores him. He may be limited in coverage, but seems he has the talent to develop into a solid run stopping LB for us.

Here's what I think about Michigan State. They have very few marquee guys that come out of there, and as of late, just a few. I'm wondering what their program is like as far as developing talent. I'm guessing it's subpar.

Where I'm going with this is, if the guy is smart, perhaps we can get more athleticism out of him with proper training. He's already doing well in one phase, so perhaps he's trainable.

It sure beats the alternative: guys like Stephone Anthony who was wicked athletic, and just couldn't figure the pro game out, which is very unfortunate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Here's what I think about Michigan State. They have very few marquee guys that come out of there, and as of late, just a few. I'm wondering what their program is like as far as developing talent. I'm guessing it's subpar.

Where I'm going with this is, if the guy is smart, perhaps we can get more athleticism out of him with proper training. He's already doing well in one phase, so perhaps he's trainable.

It sure beats the alternative: guys like Stephone Anthony who was wicked athletic, and just couldn't figure the pro game out, which is very unfortunate. 

If we were talking about an offensive guy for Michigan State, I would have 0 confidence in them being capable.  Seeing as this is a defensive guy, I think he's worth being a practice squad/6th linebacker option that can fill in multiple positions based on injuries. So not a player that changes the franchise, but definitely a glue type of guy that keeps things rolling when needed.

• Like 1

From The Athletic regarding QB Tommy Stevens and Saints trading back to grab him:

The Saints feverishly started calling teams that were still on the board. They offered to trade them their 2021 sixth-round draft pick in exchange for their late seventh-round selection. They received two takers: Minnesota at No. 244 and Houston at 240. The Saints took the Texans deal around 5:15 p.m and quickly notified the league office.

At the same time, Payton fired off a text to {Joe] Brady: “Not so fast.”

Then he shot one back to Stevens and Baker: “I’m tired of asking. Now, I’m taking.”

Seconds later, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the trade on the network TV broadcast, followed by the Saints’ selection of Stevens with the No. 240 overall pick in the seventh round.

Stevens and Baker undoubtedly were stunned, as were, I’m sure, Brady and the Panthers.

• Like 1