49ers draft Charlie Woerner TE at 190

49erurtaza

7 minutes ago, John232 said:

Going to come in and say the same thing. When both Kittle and Juice missed time, our offense took a huge hit just based on the blocking they provided. Dwelley is fine as a receiving option, but no threat as a blocker. Really like this pick. 

Our running game was so bad during that stretch lol. That's when Jimmy started to turn it up. 

Juice is obviously super valuable to this team, but man going to be hard to pay him if we also re-sign Williams to a massive deal. 

From the clips shown, I'm not seeing Toilolo's replacement. That looks like a hybrid fullback to me in the mold of Juice Check. Look where he's lining up at and him coming across the formation to block. Don't think he can be straight in line blocker. 

Practice squad year one and may be our starter year two. 

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

From the clips shown, I'm not seeing Toilolo's replacement. That looks like a hybrid fullback to me in the mold of Juice Check. Look where he's lining up at and him coming across the formation to block. Don't think he can be straight in line blocker. 

Think he is the 3rd TE at the least. Don't really have anything behind Kittle and Dwelley.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think that the two are mutually exclusive really. I think it might both be true that Woerner is viewed as competition for the 3rd string blocking TE in 2020, and a potential replacement for Juice in 2021 or after a final Juice contract. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maaaaan, we saw the EXCAT same thing...

**imaginary high-five**

Honestly this might be the best pick in our entire draft, the more I delve into his film. He plays like a bigger Juice and should slide right into that role in a year or two. Kid is one helluva blocker...it just makes too much sense. To get a possible Juice replacement in the 6th round would totally be Lynch & Co.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Honestly this might be the best pick in our entire draft, the more I delve into his film. He plays like a bigger Juice and should slide right into that role in a year or two. Kid is one helluva blocker...it just makes too much sense.

Yes, I read some said he was a better move blocker than in-line...but what I see says he is pretty good at both. Initially, I had no clue who this guy was. But the more I know, the more I like. In fact, the only Day 3 move I didn't care for Is our 7th round pick.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 1:50 PM, Justone2 said:

Yeah could very well be. Pretty tall for a FB though.

Yeah 6'5 is definitely too tall for a FB. Hes a TE right now and I think he will need to keep getting stronger to stick around a long time. He isn't strong enough to downblock NFL TEs like others have said

I wouldn't call him athletic (relative to NFL players) but he is super coordinated lol he should be fine over the middle trying to find holes in zone coverage. 3rd and 5, run a 6 yard route and fall down lol (everyone saw us run a lot on 3rd down last year, I bet teams are going to play the run a lot on third and short and it will be super easy play action with Jimmy)

I don't see Juice's long term replacement in Woerner. solid blocking TE/special teamer is what I see. very low ceiling but solid from the first day of training camp. He was drafted to fill out the back end of the roster. I don't really see a chance he is ever our "offensive weapon" inline with what kyle juszczyk is. don't get me wrong it would be great, but I don't think he fits the profile. 

could he play FB for a few games in a pinch? sure. is he someone that should be our only FB on the roster? no chance imo

he is going to be a solid role player and active mostly every game day, so 100 thousand percent worth a 6th round pick (and Goodwin lol)

I think if Juice goes down we would bring up Hokit who should make the PS.

The interesting question for me is can Woerner catch and run routes? One of the biggest knocks on him is his lack of receptions. This was also the biggest knock on Kittle which is why he went in the 5th. If the scheme he was used in didn't throw to TEs, which seems to happen a lot at the college level, we may find that he is Kittle lite, due to speed concerns.

With Toilolo and Celek gone though I think Woerner is lock for the 53 as we will keep 3 TEs.