49ers draft Charlie Woerner TE at 190

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, Melbourne 9er said:

I think if Juice goes down we would bring up Hokit who should make the PS.

The interesting question for me is can Woerner catch and run routes? One of the biggest knocks on him is his lack of receptions. This was also the biggest knock on Kittle which is why he went in the 5th. If the scheme he was used in didn't throw to TEs, which seems to happen a lot at the college level, we may find that he is Kittle lite, due to speed concerns.

With Toilolo and Celek gone though I think Woerner is lock for the 53 as we will keep 3 TEs.

As someone who watched him for years... sure he can catch, he's not super athletic where he can separate consistantly though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N4L said:

I don't see Juice's long term replacement in Woerner. solid blocking TE/special teamer is what I see. very low ceiling but solid from the first day of training camp. He was drafted to fill out the back end of the roster. I don't really see a chance he is ever our "offensive weapon" inline with what kyle juszczyk is. don't get me wrong it would be great, but I don't think he fits the profile. 

could he play FB for a few games in a pinch? sure. is he someone that should be our only FB on the roster? no chance imo

I'm uncertain about his future as a fullback, but I don't really think that this is going to be a real problem until we have to think about Woerner's second contract. Because I would be pretty surprised if Juice doesn't sign an extension that brings him through the 2022 season at least (unless Juice decided to retire sooner). Which would mean unless Woerner filled the 3rd TE position in those years, his potential fit as a FB would be irrelevant.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 4:14 AM, N4L said:

Yeah 6'5 is definitely too tall for a FB. Hes a TE right now and I think he will need to keep getting stronger to stick around a long time. He isn't strong enough to downblock NFL TEs like others have said

I wouldn't call him athletic (relative to NFL players) but he is super coordinated lol he should be fine over the middle trying to find holes in zone coverage. 3rd and 5, run a 6 yard route and fall down lol (everyone saw us run a lot on 3rd down last year, I bet teams are going to play the run a lot on third and short and it will be super easy play action with Jimmy)

I don't see Juice's long term replacement in Woerner. solid blocking TE/special teamer is what I see. very low ceiling but solid from the first day of training camp. He was drafted to fill out the back end of the roster. I don't really see a chance he is ever our "offensive weapon" inline with what kyle juszczyk is. don't get me wrong it would be great, but I don't think he fits the profile. 

could he play FB for a few games in a pinch? sure. is he someone that should be our only FB on the roster? no chance imo

he is going to be a solid role player and active mostly every game day, so 100 thousand percent worth a 6th round pick (and Goodwin lol)

I disagree. Its about his development. He's not going to walk on the field as a rookie and do what Juice does but the skillset is definitely there for him to eventually be used much like Juice. I wouldn't say he's a great route runner but he looks to be a very nuanced route runner. Has good feel for spacing and he's pretty fluid for his size, despite the lack of athleticism. In that Jason Witten mold, if you will. Juice isn't a great route runner by any stretch. He gets open off of play design mostly. Woerner's not going to have to get open off his route-running prowess alone in that regard. Where he pales in comparison to Juice is YAC ability. With Juice being a FB, he's much more effective turning up field and picking up yards once he secures the catch. This is where Woerner's lack of athleticism really shows.

He does looks more natural blocking on the move and coming across the grain, finding backside targets than he does as a in-line blocker at this point. That is what leads me to believe he could be headed for more of a H-Back role than just a traditional blocking TE. It's Juice's blocking, first and foremost, that unlocks the rest of his game as far as a pass-catcher. Woerner has the tools to develop into that type of blocker, which would allow him to flourish that much more as a pass catcher in Shanny's scheme. As much as I like Dwelley he doesn't really have that potential as a blocker to be Juice-like. He filled in admirably for Juice last season but you could see that the run game was schemed differently w/o Juice. Woerner definitely needs to get stronger but I like his determination and willingness as a blocker in the run game, as well as his versatility. He lined up everywhere for Georgia, including in the slot and he didn't look like a fish out of water anywhere in terms of executing his assignments. Its his versatility that leads me to believe his impact could be more substantial if he develops in other areas.

Edited by 757-NINER

@757-NINER The point you are making about how he could eventually become the replacement if he improves his game is fair, but I think that is a tad hopeful. I do appreciate the fact you acknowledged his weakness (down blocking) which to be fair could change with added strength in a pro style weight room. The only issue with that logic is, he went to Georgia, that is a big time school. Also the strength of the guys he will be blocking will increase on the next level too. 

I like the pick, I think hes going to provide value to us and will do great in the delanie walker role where he could line up in wingback and trap DTs at an angle. I think that's the point you were referencing with the Hback role. He did seem like he was good at blocking in space, which is a great fit here obviously.

Im sure he will get some run at FB because we do need to have backups that can block well. dwelley did ok as a backup there but hes not juice, which is kind of my point, Juice is going to be a hard player to replace and I think woener has a loooong way to go before he is the only FB we keep on our roster. 

I also agree with you that he could be a decent receiver in the Jason Witten mold. I even referenced it in the post you quoted, he could find the soft spot in the zone on 3rd and 6 and fall down after catching a 7 yard pass lol I don't mean it literally just that I don't expect much with him as far as Yac goes (which is fine).

Again, solid pick just not a replacement for the most versatile FB in the NFL right now