6.192 - Jon Runyan [OG; Michigan]

CWood21

35 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Does he have any history of snapping?

No, but he knows OL play front to back and he’s winning the game mentally assignment-wise. It’s really that his feet will not mirror NFL pass rushers around the edge and he isn’t stong enough to move DL heads up. He pulls fine. He executes. He just didn’t get his dads extra size.

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity I looked for other guards that ticked the height, weight and athletic thresholds for LaFleur's ZBS.

The ones that did, all of them were drafted from the 4th onwards. In fact beginning in the 4th round there was a run on guards with 6 taken within 42 picks. Had we kept our 4th rounder we would've had a shot at two of them, Ben Bredeson and Shane Lemieux 

With our late 5th round pick we had a chance of getting Hakeem Adeniji as he was taken with the first pick of the 6th round. 

The next two guards in the 6th round who fitted the threshold were our draft picks, John Runyan and Simon Stepaniak

I'm not familar with any of them but for those that are.....how did we do guard-wise?

======================================================================================================

I looked at offensive tackles as well. There were many that fitted the thresholds. In fact it was a good draft for a LaFleur type of OT. Ignoring the 1st round there were a total of 11 candidates. There was a run of them between rounds 3 and 4 with 7 tackles drafted within 75 picks

Had we not traded up to select Love  we would've had a shot at Robert Hunt.

At our pick in round 2 we would've had to draft Josh Jones there if we wanted him.

At our pick in round 3 Lucas Niang, Matt Peart, Saahdiq Charles, Ben Bartch, Charlie Heck were all viable options

Had we kept our 4th round pick we would've had Ben Driscoll and Colton McKivitz to choose from.

That's was the end of the OT prospects for us. So basically with the way the draft turned out if we badly wanted an OT we had to draft one within the first four rounds.

======================================================================================================

So looking at both of the data its clear rounds 1-4 were for drafting Tackles whilst rounds 4-6 were for drafting Guards.

Would I've been happy drafting Josh Jones instead of AJ Dillon? probably not. I think I wanted Bryan Edwards if we were going WR.

The 3rd round is the hot topic. We essentially drafted a fullback here. We had lots of OT options at this point. There was no viable WR except Gandy-Golden but we would be taking him a full round early because we didn't have the 4th round pick. Had we held on to the 4th round pick we could've drafted one of the OT with the 3rd round pick and got Gandy-Golden with our 4th rounder.

Losing that 4th round pick was key. It denied us the opportunity to draft a OT or WR. There was no way Love would reached pick 30, The Colts or Patriots would've jumped ahead of us to get him. Losing the 4th round pick was absolutely necessary.