Sherman's behaviour

Hunter2_1

What do you make of his latest on-field antics?

I'll post a full video after this post, but essentially, he hit Mariota very late, out of bounds and helmet-to-helmet. This obviously sparked a scuffle; yet ANOTHER scuffle involving the Seahawks. He also got flagged for holding, then protested the flag by removing his helmet and screaming at the official. This then drew another flag (official removes hat). But Sherman isn't done then, he follows the officials, barking and screaming at them. Team mates come and half-heartedly try to remove him from the situation. Carroll, as per usual, is not bothered. 

I don't know how he wasn't ejected from the game (neither did the announcers) and his behaviour (as well as the Seahawks') bring the game into disrepute more than any kneeling could. 

I think he should receive retrospective punishment for a) hitting a defenceless player (a QB no less) out of bounds, and b) bringing the game into disrepute with the way he removed his helmet and intimidated the officials. Can't have that. 

Sherman has always struck me as an egotistical, swaggering jerk. Fortunately for him, there's plenty of room for that in football, and I think his antics (not to mention his play) contributed greatly to the confidence of the defense and his team earlier in the decade. But with the Seahawks regressing, it's easier to see his behavior as a liability. I absolutely agree that he should have been ejected from the game.

In general, I don't have a problem with Sherman. I don't mind players speaking their minds and I typically don't care about players talking on the field. They're grown men getting paid millions to play a game, let them show some passion.

What I do care about is going for a kill shot on a quarterback that has clearly given himself up and is out of bounds. Thankfully, Mariota had already been pushed and was falling as Sherman came up. Because if he was still running straight up, Sherman was clearly aiming high and could have done some serious damage. It was an absolutely garbage play. The Titans had about five opportunities to do the same thing to Russell throughout that game, and every time I was yelling at my TV to not take the shot.

Add in the fact that the Titans bench and even Lewan responded verbally, without escalating it physically as they very well could have, and still got called for a personal foul that made the Sherman penalty offset and essentially gave him a free, totally illegal shot at a quarterback and I was fuming.

I just watched the play...all I'm going to say is I love Lewan there. I mean, he was immediately up in Sherman and I thought there was a possibility that he was going to rip off Sherman's arm and beat him to death with it.

Also, did anyone see that bump that MM gave Sherman on the way back to the line? He purposely sought him out, bumped him and said something, then went back to the huddle. Makes me heart him a little more.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Also, did anyone see that bump that MM gave Sherman on the way back to the line? He purposely sought him out, bumped him and said something, then went back to the huddle. Makes me heart him a little more.

That moment was quintessential Marcus. Little smile on his face, says something quick and slaps Sherman on the hip. Guy just never loses his cool.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I just watched the play...all I'm going to say is I love Lewan there. I mean, he was immediately up in Sherman and I thought there was a possibility that he was going to rip off Sherman's arm and beat him to death with it.

I love Lewan, and that was a massive step forward for him. I say this with little hesitation. Lewan of two years ago, maybe even Lewan of early last year, is probably getting ejected after that hit. He was instantly there to back up his quarterback, but he didn't push it too far, which is an important lesson for him to learn since he's too valuable to lose in that kind of game.

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

Sherman said Mariota told him it was a good hit.

Archived