Jump to content
TL-TwoWinsAway

Round 6, Pick 197: John Penisini

Recommended Posts

Listed at 6-1, 318 LBs, appears to be a run-stuffing NT type. Good strength, strong hands.

According to PFF: "Utah’s John Penisini is one of PFF’s favorite pure run-stuffing nose tackles. He earned a higher run-defense grade (90.6) than more highly touted teammate Leki Fotu for the Utes last season."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Don’t know anything about this guy, but wanted a big belly in the middle of the dline.

Edited by LionArkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High motor, high character type. Collapses the pocket and can occasionally get an edge. Louis is right: the guy certainly isn't "slow".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

High motor, high character type. Collapses the pocket and can occasionally get an edge. Louis is right: the guy certainly isn't "slow".

Not by any means. His feet never stop. He’s not a pass rusher, he’s not Suh. But he’s a NT with good feet, good awareness and good motor. I like him a lot. I see him as a career backup however, just because he won’t get the flashy numbers some like from DTs. But damn he’s solid. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Not by any means. His feet never stop. He’s not a pass rusher, he’s not Suh. But he’s a NT with good feet, good awareness and good motor. I like him a lot. I see him as a career backup however, just because he won’t get the flashy numbers some like from DTs. But damn he’s solid. 

You mentioned it somewhere today but this pick also fits with more 3-4.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

You mentioned it somewhere today but this pick also fits with more 3-4.

I’m seeing a trend with the moves they’ve been making. Penisini fits that NT role. Okwara plays that 6 technique of your WLB in the 3-4 Okie front Patriots ran under Patricia. Strong secondary players, hence #3 pick used on CB. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I’m seeing a trend with the moves they’ve been making. Penisini fits that NT role. Okwara plays that 6 technique of your WLB in the 3-4 Okie front Patriots ran under Patricia. Strong secondary players, hence #3 pick used on CB. 

They certainly have a number of player that can play LB.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I skipped a little while in the draft to do some things, only to come back and see John Penisini lolololool omg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man... He's built like a tree stump. Can't say I know much about him but just after a few looks around the web he's the type of NT I like. Didn't know much before the selection though. Like this pick. Surprising get by Quinn and crew. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GetDownandDirty said:

I think Shelton will need to step up his game to keep this kid from being a starter. The video on him shows his speed & brute force. He will be double teamed all day & still will be a nightmare.  Big time pick in my opinion. 

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2020/5/6/21249057/video-watch-john-penisinis-film-breakdown-utah-defensive-coordinator

 

Everyone has great highlight videos.  To expect a 6th round pick to push for a starting spot is hopeful at best.  I hope he is good enough to make the team and can develop into that but the number of 6th round picks that start in year one or even two is so small.  If he was that dominant and expected to translate so well to the NFL, he would have been a higher pick. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GetDownandDirty said:

I think Shelton will need to step up his game to keep this kid from being a starter. The video on him shows his speed & brute force. He will be double teamed all day & still will be a nightmare.  Big time pick in my opinion. 

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2020/5/6/21249057/video-watch-john-penisinis-film-breakdown-utah-defensive-coordinator

 

Great watch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...