Draft Grades

Chwf3rd25

Post your own here.

Mine is below

1.12: Henry Ruggs, Alabama, WR

Grade: C

We didn't reach according to consensus but im not personally a big fan. Seems more like a complimentary WR which is a luxury for us when we need a WR1. Especially tough with Jeudy and Lamb both available. However, I trust Gruden as a playcaller and I'm sure he'll use him correctly

1.19: Damon Arnette, Ohio St, CB

Grade: D

On film he had a second round grade for me but his advanced age (24), lack of athleticism (4.56), and length (7th percentile) knocked him down into the 3rd round for me. On film, he's a good scheme fit as a physical, press man CB but isn't incredibly fluid and the lack of length and recovery speed show. He's also a 1 year wonder which is especially concerning given his age. Pick is especially painful in hindsight after seeing where other CBs went in the draft.

3.80 - Lynn Bowden, Kentucky, ATH

Grade: C

Don't think he's a clean fit at any one position and he actually looked best as a wildcat QB then WR. He's an incredibly fun, tough player and his best skill is great open field vision and feel. He may not be the fastest or the most polished player but he knows how to find space with the ball in his hands

3.81 - Bryan Edwards, South Carolina, WR

Grade: A

My favorite pick by far and one of my favorite players in the entire draft - really think he could be our WR1 this year. somewhat overshadowed due to injuries and WR depth, Edwards is a big, dynamic, explosive WR with phenomenal YAC ability, toughness, and physicality. Furthermore, Edwards has been incredibly productive at South Carolina starting with his true freshman season at only 17 years old. Edwards can line up all over the formation and turns into a RB with the ball in his hands. Not just a YAC guy, Edwards flashes fantastic hands and the ability to make incredible circus catches. While he doesn't create consistent separation, his quickness and burst is more than sufficient.

https://gph.is/g/EJYbRne

https://gph.is/g/a99bdlP

https://gph.is/g/EGgb9Ml

https://gph.is/g/aRW5N7w

3.100 Tanner Muse, Clemson, LB

Grade: D

I have a feeling Baccario pounded the table for Muse and Gruden loved him after his interviews. Muse should be a special teams start but I don't see him becoming a valuable part of the defense. He's a 24 year old LB project who was a liability on that Clemson defense. I'm not a fan of spending 3rd round picks on special teams players

4.109 John Simpson, Clemson, OG

Grade: B

This is exactly where I had Simpson graded and he both fills a need for us and fits our scheme. Simpson is one of the best run blockers in the draft and absolutely drives defenders off the ball with power and strength. He has a huge, powerful base which allows him to anchor down in his pass sets against power rushers. Simpson's issues come with his slow feet and he's going to have some trouble against quicker DL.

4.139 Amik Robertson, Louisiana Tech, NCB

Grade: A

Good value and an incredibly fun player. He's tiny at 5'8 and thus is likely limited to the slot but he makes up for his small stature with an awesome feistiness and toughness. Watching him go up against 6'6 Collin Johnson was really fun. He is very physical with WRs throughout the route and refuses to back down. Has incredibly quick feet to mirror in man and awesome closing burst. The best part about Robertson's game is his ball skills and he'll come down with INTs where other CBs would merely knock the ball down. My favorite slot CB in the draft.

• Like 2

12 - Henry Ruggs | WR | Alabama - B+

19 - Damon Arnette | CB | Ohio State - B-

80 - Lynn Bowden Jr | WR/RB | Kentucky - C+

81 - Bryan Edwards | WR | South Carolina - A 

91 - Tanner Muse | LB | Clemson - D

109 - John Simpson | OG | Clemson - B+

139 - Amik Robertson | CB | Louisiana Tech - A 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

12 - Henry Ruggs | WR | Alabama - B+

19 - Damon Arnette | CB | Ohio State - B-

80 - Lynn Bowden Jr | WR/RB | Kentucky - C+

81 - Bryan Edwards | WR | South Carolina - A 

91 - Tanner Muse | LB | Clemson - D

109 - John Simpson | OG | Clemson - B+

139 - Amik Robertson | CB | Louisiana Tech - A 

I agree with these, probably C- for muse

• Like 1

Heny Ruggs | WR | - B-

I cant give them lower than this because they addressed the correct position, and he's not a "consensus reach" but in my opinion they really dropped the ball choosing measurables over production and traits. He's significatly better than DHB, but I'm still getting vibes of that pick. On the positive side, he gives Carr an absurdly explosive weapon that can hopefully force some more aggression out of Carr, and gives our offense an element that we really haven't had since Jacoby Ford's coming out party.

Damon Arnette | CB | - C

The only reason this grade isn't lower is because, once again, this was the correct position to target. The issue is the value. Even if they were convinced that this was "their guy", they could have traded back at least 10-12 picks and this guy would have been available. This is Clelin Ferrell 2.0 with respect to draft value.

Lynn Bowden | RB | - D+

To me, this one fails at a lot of levels. I don't think running back was a huge need, and in the event we did want a #2 running back to spell Jacobs, I assumed it would be a guy who could actually carry the load if Jacobs were to miss time, or we needed to spell him for a series or two. This feels redundant with Richard. So I don't think it did a great job of addressing the "need" at backup RB. Second, even if we assume he does address it, the third round is way too early for a backup RB who will also return punts. Yeah he can play slot, but we already have Renfrow and Richard... I just don't understand this one.

Bryan Edwards | WR | - A

This is a pick that actually makes a lot of sense. Before the draft, I was pounding the table for us double dipping at WR in the first great WR class in a long time, and because I do think we need to think ahead and recognize that Tyrell Williams at 10m does not make a lot of sense. He also is a great complement for the Ruggs pick. He's a good upside pick, addresses a position of need, and good value for where they got him. I would have preferred moving up from this pick to grab Mims, but that would be nitpicking a bit, I suppose.

Tanner Muse | LB | - F

The Clemson thing has gotten to an absurd point with this pick. First, I don't think outside/coverage linebacker was a massive need after we signed Littleton and Kwiatkowski who are both locked in for 2 years based on their deals. In 2 LB sets, which will be the norm, those two guys will be on the field, not Muse or Morrow. Second, this is a position switch, this guy has never played linebacker in anything resembling a full time role. He's a project and a pet player at a position that was not in great need. On top of that, this was a 3rd rounder, not some throwaway mid-late round pick. Wow he ran a great 40.

John Simpson | G | - B+

This is a pick that makes sense. I know the brass likes Denzelle Good, but guard is a position that could need an overhaul sooner than later. Incognito played at a very high level last year, but he's 36 years old and is liable to go berserk and get himself kicked out of the NFL at any moment. At the same time, Gabe Jackson is certainly on the hot seat, given that his play has fallen off the last couple of years (I'm aware injuries have played a role, but at some time the team simply needs to know they're going to get production), and he is getting paid 10 mil per year, with no guarantees/dead money remaining. For all we know, Good and Simpson will be the starters next year. Only reason the grade is lower is because we traded up for him, and guards in the middle rounds are usually not all that hard to find.

Amik Robertson | CB | - A+

This pick has me ecstatic. By his play/film alone, he looks like a first round talent. His height aind groin injury which kept him out of the pre-draft process hurt his stock, but this dude can BALL. He plays a very physical brand of football that some have likened to the honey badger, but I see some Antoine Winfield Sr. in him as well. I don't think he is necessarily earmarked in the slot, but that is the most obvious place for him to start out. He's also a good hitter and very willing tackler despite his size, has great ball skills, aggression, route recognition. I particularly like this pick because I'm not a believer at all in the Joyner full time slot experiment. 

The Simpson and Amik picks have effectively made it such that Gabe Jackson and LaMacrus Joyner are playing on one year prove-it deals. That makes for a great day 3.

Using a traditional GPA calculator...  puts us right between a C+ and B-

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

Only pick i didn't like was Arnette. We panicked when Terrell got picked and reached on a 2nd to 3rd round corner, who lacks upside due to his physical limitations. He does fit the scheme and i love his mentality but yea i dont know about that one. In a year or two, i wouldn't be surprised if he's our Nickelback. Maybe not even our starting one because Amik might be better.

Henry Ruggs, WR Alabama B+. Can't dislike it, but I feel like we could've got him or one of the big 3 at 19. Who did we miss out on?  Recurring theme.

Damon Arnette, CB  Ohio State - C-. With who the rest of the AFCW has at WR, especially now, I hate where we took him. Trade the pick or pick someone better. We needed more for the 19th pick, and I refuse to believe we "couldn't find a trade partner" or that anyone would've nabbed him before we could- and if so, really good players were still around. I'm bitter about this one.

Lynn Bowden Jr | WR/RB | Kentucky - B-. He's versatile. Maybe a bit early for him, but his versatility makes it a worthy pick. His presence can open up a couple roster spots. 

Bryan Edwards | WR | South Carolina - A. Loved the pick. Great value for once. Not to bash Bowden, but we know exactly where Edwards will be lining up and represents a true improvement to a position. 

Tanner Muse | LB | Clemson - D+. Terrible value for a project. Too many guys with more talent were still available. I haven't been more disappointed in a single pick since taking Ward and Calhoun. Guys with versatility are nice projects, but more on Day 3. It worries me that scouts have said "his Safety days are over". He HAS to switch positions, making his versatility questionable in value. Day 3, sure. Day 2? No. 

John Simpson | OG | Clemson - C+. We needed depth. There were some guys I would've rather had that were available, but I'm not going to gripe as it wasn't a reach nor glaring need. 

Amik Robertson | CB | Louisiana Tech - B+. I don't mind the pick. Probably would feel more comfortable with Hall. His size scares me a bit, but reports have been positive regarding his ability to play bigger than his stature. I know nothing else about him, but everyone here seems to like it, so I'll take your word for it.

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

12 - Henry Ruggs | WR | Alabama - A-.  Starting WR day. Adds something to our O we haven't had in a long time. Good all around WR.

19 - Damon Arnette | CB | Ohio State - B-. Starting CB day one. Was a reach but it appears he's one of the more pro-ready CB's and we needed that right away.

80 - Lynn Bowden Jr | WR/RB | Kentucky - B-. Will be a fun toy but we will have to manufacture his touches more than a regular RB/WR. Will be a beast on 3rd downs.

81 - Bryan Edwards | WR | South Carolina - B+. Perfect compliment to Ruggs. Big bodied, physical, just what we needed.

91 - Tanner Muse | LB | Clemson - C+. I don't hate this as much as everyone else. Has all the tools and won't be forced to play on D a lot right away. Sit and learn from Littleton and become a special teams beast day one.

109 - John Simpson | OG | Clemson - B+. Big mauler who can start day one. Offers incredible depth if Richie declines or we move Jackson. 

139 - Amik Robertson | CB | Louisiana Tech - A . Starting slot CB day one. Fiesty, aggresive, playmaker and good tackler. If he's fully healed we got a steal.

• Like 3

WR Henry Ruggs III: (A-) He's not Lamb, but to think this was a reach is foolish thinking. His speed is exactly the element that this team has been lacking. Had him as my #2 WR, so originally was a little let down with Lamb still on the board, but over that. I'm looking forward to seeing him open up the offense, and will be hanging on to the seat of my chair every time he gets the ball. True score from anywhere threat, even if he's not your typical deep threat.

CB Damon Arnette: (C-) I like Arnette a lot, but thought he'd be available in later rounds. This could just be a case of the media being lower on him then teams. Anyway physical player, one of the few CBs that I felt could come in and start opposite of Mullen. Not a burner, but playing opposite of Okudah give him alot of targets. 

RB/WR Lynn Bowden JR.: (B) I was all for Antonio Gibson as a offensive weapon, figured we had him in our sights, so was not surprised when we took a similar weapon. I do not know much about Bowden, so can't say much, but like what I'm seeing. 

WR Bryan Edwards: (B) Similar to Bowden. Had heard alot of Edwards, but didn't really look up much about him. Glad we took another receiver in this deep draft. Edwards seems to be excellent value at this pick, and I'm looking forward to watching him play. 

LB Tanner Muse: (C-) I really like the player, think he can be an excellent addition to the defense and can eventually become a TE eraser for us because of his size and demeanor. A bit stiff, but is a hard nosed football player. I just think we could have traded back for him, or could have targeted the safety Davis who went earlier. If anything will be a special teams demon.

OG John Simpson: (A-) Excellent value pick, and I like that Mayock and Gruden keep adding talent to our O-Line. We have one of the best line, no need to let it deteriorate of talent. Simpson, strong bull of a guard, not the fleetest, but goodluck once he gets his hands on you. Seems to be a better fit for a Man or Power scheme, so will be interesting to see how he does with Cable, but I think he can be a starter next season at RG.

CB Amik Robertson: (A) Probably my favorite pick of the draft. Small size is the only knock on this kid, tenacious demeanor and will be fun to watch. More quick then burner, but shouldn't be a problem because of his willingness to get physical with receivers. Potential star at NCB. 

Overall Grade for 2020 Draft: (B) First round was a little underwhelming, but Mayock and Gruden really seemed to get there ish together in mid-rounds. I think every player from this draft has the ability to contribute to the team early.

Edited by OldManWillis
  • Like 1