Draft Grades

Chwf3rd25

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Only pick i didn't like was Arnette. We panicked when Terrell got picked and reached on a 2nd to 3rd round corner, who lacks upside due to his physical limitations. He does fit the scheme and i love his mentality but yea i dont know about that one. In a year or two, i wouldn't be surprised if he's our Nickelback. Maybe not even our starting one because Amik might be better.

This is the only pick that really bothers me.  I would have loved Terrell here but ATL swooped him up which pissed me off.  Let me ask you how would have rated Terrell if we had picked him instead of Arentte?  Would you guy have been much happier with our draft?

I am really happy with every other pick we made.  I'm indifferent about Muse, Mayock liked him and he's a 3rd rounder.  Go back to prior drafts and tell me how many 3rd round players pan out.  I loved Edwards and Amik!

12 - Henry Ruggs | WR | Alabama - A. Gives us a fast WR who can help the running and middle passing game.

19 - Damon Arnette | CB | Ohio State - B i belive he is underated due to his speed and arms. He is a physical and vocal player who could have a similar season to mullens last year. 

80 - Lynn Bowden Jr | WR/RB | Kentucky - d+. This is a luxury pick in my view. Unless they view him as a RB who can spell JJ. Not sure his advantage over #30 as a rb though

81 - Bryan Edwards | WR | South Carolina - A. A big body who has tools to transfer to a possession reciver. Good compliment to ruggs. 

91 - Tanner Muse | LB | Clemson - D. Special teams  and project for the 3rd Lb spot going forward could be wrong 

109 - John Simpson | OG | Clemson - A this is our OG next year. And feel he could be ther if gabe is traded. 

139 - Amik Robertson | CB | Louisiana Tech - B slot corner. Returner. Will be fun to watch on the punt and return teams

overall i have a B+ on the draft. 

We added speed, and weapons to the offense with some corners who if mayock is right will be starters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roi34 said:

Yeah, can't argue, think it's about his leadership too. Think he may wind up flashing at LB too

Meh. You could've just brought back Wilbur and/or Levitt (aka Eric Weddle Jr according to DC) and they would've provided the same value. 

12 - Henry Ruggs | WR | Alabama - A  He was the guy I mocked and wanted all along. Kinda wanted Henderson last minute but Jags were smart. Jeudy might be good but he remind me too much of Cooper for my liking, could be like Calvin Ridley so I wasn't that interest. I was thinking Lamb for a bit, bit scared me off was playing a weak division on a team that always puts up stats. I wanted Ruggs because he is more than a baller. He has nice skills, and didn't shine as much because of the talent in Bama. Recent burners like Hollywood made such an impact when he played for the Ravens. Didn't allow safeties to creep into the box and allowed Jackson to run wild. Hope this speed, makes Jacob take his game to another level. Lamb best trait was after the catch in a weak conference, he be a starter but let's see how he does against elite CB before we call him a superstar. Ruggs was my guy Age: 21

19 - Damon Arnette | CB | Ohio State - C Should be a instant starter, still think it was a waste of value. Would have been ideal to trade down and Terrell didn't drop. Don't know if he ever be elite with that reach, lacking long end speed, age. Feel like this was another play it safe 1st rounder to find a starter. Still a C because he should be a starter, fits our system as a physical man corner. Doesn't he have character issues, the same reason Conely was dealt? They both Age: 24

80 - Lynn Bowden Jr | RB | Kentucky -  A bit of a risky pick as Bowden didn't exactly play RB. I like the pick because Bowden was a baller in SEC, he has the juice, and vision. Obviously a good pass catcher as many seen him as a WR prospect. I think he can thrive as RB, vision, and because he knows how to move the chains and decent size. Gruden be able to even create gadget plays so he can give some Tyson Hill looks. I was a little bummed when Akers and Gibson went off the board, and wasn't that excited for Moss. High ceiling, risky but he was projected to go in the 3rd. Age: 22

81 - Bryan Edwards | WR | South Carolina - A One of the my favorite picks. Big, physical WR, can get open, can go deep, he has  WR1 potential. Slide due to the great WR class and offseason injury. Has Allen Robinson/Brandon Marshall potential if he hits his potential. Great pick in the 3rd, really like the duo of Ruggs and Edwards going forward. Age: 21

91- Tanner Muse l Tanner Muse l LB l Clemson l D- Should be a core special team player, and good locker room guy. Would we have drafted him if he went to UNLV instead of Clemson? I get you like the program, but come on man. He has good long end speed, but how is his movement. He has a slim frame too, can he shed blocks. Ceiling looks like a sub package cover LB and core special teamer. I guess I was let down because there were other guys who could help our LB unit more like Davion Taylor. Burgess also was my safety steal, and was there for the taking. Muse can run a fast 40, but he seems like a stiff athlete. He draft these type of the projects late in the draft not on Day 2. Hope I'm wrong Age: 24

109 - John Simpson | OG | Clemson - B I had mocked him, and he is a good fit for our offense. He is a mauler, good size, good length, and played for "Clemson". Give him a redshirt season  providing depth, and I could see a starter in 2021. Richie still playing at a high level, but could break down at any moment/or Jackson could be cut next year.  Good value Age: 22

139 - Amik Robertson l CB l Lousiana Tech A. I wanted him in the 3rd, he is going be the started at slot by the end of the year. Guy is a dog even tho he is small at 5'8. Explosive and physical type of slot corner. Can't go wrong in the 4th round, one of my favorite picks Age: 21

UDFA- D - Who cares if we signed a bunch of vets, shouldn't waste opportunity to add young talent into the program. Our rivals are are loading up their rosters

Overall: B-  Didn't hit it out the ballpark,  but could have did worse. Really like the WR duo of Ruggs/Edwards could be our wideouts of the future, Amir and Arnette should develop into starters, Bowden is a wild card but very good in college, and Simpson has starter potential. Weak UDFA class but I do like that kicker and kid from UNLV.  Adding 6 starters would be a good draft, Ruggs could be a star and boost this class. Put an emphasis on the WR/CB position. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

I would give this a B which is think it’s fair. The thing that holds this draft back is Arnette imo. Maybe he plays like a a player that was picked at 19 but time will tell on that. Muse pick was iffy but again a pick that in a couple years that can look a lot better than it looks right now. 

Team obviously had a plan buy a defense in FA and build a offense through the draft and not just any offense but one that be explosive and fast. Not only was it speed but guys who Got some toughness to them. Arnette and Amik bring tons of toughness to a defense that gets back Abram. Edwards and Bowden got a lot of nastiest to them especially Bowden. Once Bowden steps on the field dude turns it up. Even Ruggs got some toughness to him. 

Im happy with it no more excuses for number 4 and no more excuses for Gruden. 

1.12: Henry Ruggs, Alabama, WR

Grade: A

1.19: Damon Arnette, Ohio St, CB

Grade: B-

3.80 - Lynn Bowden, Kentucky, ATH

Grade: C

3.81 - Bryan Edwards, South Carolina, WR

Grade: C+

3.100 Tanner Muse, Clemson, LB

Grade: C-

4.109 John Simpson, Clemson, OG

Grade: B+

4.139 Amik Robertson, Louisiana Tech, NCB

Grade: A+

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

19 - Damon Arnette | CB | Ohio State - C ....... Doesn't he have character issues, the same reason Conely was dealt? They both Age: 24

Now that our time of collective couch scouting is over and I wanted someone else to say it first, and I didn't bother because he wasn't on my radar...

When they announced the pick I literally spit my drink out and yelled "Wtf? Gareon Conley 2.0, down to the same school!?". 

• Like 1

I’ll add descriptions later

12. WR Henry Ruggs III A-

19. CB Damon Arnette C (love the player just really bad value)

80. WR/RB Lynn Bowden Jr. C+

81. WR Bryan Edwards B+

100. LB Tanner Muse C-

109. G John Simpson A

139. CB Amik Robertson A-

Edited by BayRaider

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Nice graphic. Should he a disclaimer too at the bottom about Macks large contract. 

That’s a very disappointing graphic. Jacobs is nice but we just didn’t optimize this years picks.   

If Reggie had any intelligence and balls we’d have not given up a second but not gotten their 3rd.

Mack, Arlington Hambright for Jacobs, Arnette, Grant Delpit seems a lot better (plus ‘19 6th)

.... or it really could have been Jacobs, K’Lavon Chaisson/ Kenneth Murray., Arnette@43

• Like 1

#12 - Henry Ruggs | WR | Alabama B

Lamb I feel was the best receiver and Juedy the most polished and whilst I think Ruggs won't match the raw numbers of the other 2 long term I can see why they value his skill set and how it meshes with the other receivers we have. Might have a huge impact for us despite not collecting the bulk stats. Excited to see us use him.

#19 - Damon Arnette | CB | Ohio State - C+

I really like Arnette as a player in a vacuum but I can't ignore the other corners who were available who I think will be better pros and of course the value. IMO we reached after Terrell was picked fearing a run on CBs. Arnette fits what we like in a CB though size and athleticism are small question marks. There were better players available at multiple positions IMO but we reached for need again.

#80 - Lynn Bowden Jr | RB | Kentucky - C-

A real surprise of a pick for me, there were better receivers available and better running backs available but none which offer the same versatility. I see this pick as boom or bust and very reliant on how Gruden and Olsen can scheme him into our offense. A little disappointed if I'm honest but we'll have to wait and see how we intend to use him more than any other pick to be fair. I predict an underwhelming impact.

#81 - Bryan Edwards | WR | South Carolina -

Really liked Edwards and Pittman in the pre draft process as a bigger outside WR and I would have loved either, to me Edwards in the mid 3rd is much better than Pittman in the very early 2nd. Great value and I can see him replacing Williams by next off season, he seems like a perfect fit for Carr. Great pick.

#100 - Tanner Muse | LB | Clemson - C-

Liked Muse like most of us but this is such a strange pick for me with much more recognisable and less raw LBs still on the board. I can see the upside however and unlike most I think Muse learns quickly and plays snaps at LB this season. I think he might surprise us but that still doesn't make the pick good value. I think he was a 5th round type prospect but will ultimately be a pleasant surprise.

#109 - John Simpson | OG | Clemson - B

This seems like a very sensible pick after the erratic selections of Bowden and Muse. Good pedigree and experienced and I like the foresight to get a young guy in who can learn from and hopefully succeed Incognito when he calls it a day. Fits well with our mould of interior OL and should be a very solid OG miving forward.

#139 - Amik Robertson | CB | Louisiana Tech - A

My favourite pick. Great player who fits exactly what we're about, great value and at a position that we needed to pick. Nothing to dislike about this at all and slightly surprised a player of Robertson's quality was available this late. Great job at maximising value unlike a couple if earlier picks.

Overall I'd probably grade us a B- or C+ for the reason that we filled needs but a couple picks seem at this moment in time like very poor value, both our 1st round picks are far from sure things and neither I think were BPA when they were picked, Bowden and Muse are also both talented but high bust risks so we definitely didn't play it safe.  This was a high risk draft and hopefully It'll pay off big for us with character and fit coming to the fore.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:35 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

This is the only pick that really bothers me.  I would have loved Terrell here but ATL swooped him up which pissed me off.  Let me ask you how would have rated Terrell if we had picked him instead of Arentte?  Would you guy have been much happier with our draft?

I am really happy with every other pick we made.  I'm indifferent about Muse, Mayock liked him and he's a 3rd rounder.  Go back to prior drafts and tell me how many 3rd round players pan out.  I loved Edwards and Amik!

The draft certainly would have been improved had we taken a different corner at 19, whether it be AJ Terrell, Jaylon Johnson, or Kristian Fulton. And if Mayock/Gruden/Guenther really felt that Arnette was their guy, then thats' fine, but you still have to get full value for your pick, and they needed to trade back to justify the pick. 

Would we have been justified with Arnette at 12, just because he was "their guy?" That rationale could be used to justify every reach.

I also don't think the Bowden/Muse picks made much sense where they were, but making better use of the #19 overall pick would have been a heck of a start

• Like 1

Ruggs - B 

I like the idea of him spreading the offense and creating favorable matchups around the field but I don’t see him developing into a top 10 WR in the game which is what needs to happen to justify being selected as WR1 in a draft this deep at WR. 

Arnette - C 

B for system and play style fit. D for value so the average is a straight C. A trade back would have turned into some additional draft capital and likely, Arnette. At worst, we would have netted some additional draft capital and Jaylon Johnson (whom I like more). 

Bowden - C 

Seems like we didn’t get great value plus  I don’t have much faith in Gruden’s ability to utilize him in the right way to maximize his effectiveness. I see a Braxton Miller like trajectory for him. Also seems like a luxury pick when we have a glaring hole at backup RB. 

Edwards - A 

In other years with less WR talent, Edwards gets taken in the 2nd round. Love his size, aggressive play style, and the fact that he scored a 28 on the Wonderlic. I fully expect him to develop into more of a go to WR than Ruggs. 

Muse - C 

Same story as Arnette. Love the system and mentality fit but hate the value. I do think he could develop into a useful player and will eventually live up to his draft billing but would have preferred him in the 4th or lower. 

Simpson - A-

The value was very good and I love that he is a strong run blocker. Also seemed to be very self aware of his deficiencies in his media presser which makes me think he should be able to develop in some of his weaker areas (lateral agility, pass blocking, etc.). 

Robertson - A+

Love the value, love his mentality, and love his talent. He will certainly outplay his draft number. This is absolutely my favorite pick of the draft 

Overall - C+

Too many reaches and too little value in the early rounds to justify anything higher. I don’t have an issue with the vision but I do have an issue with the inability to effectively maneuver to grab “our guy” while maximizing value. Hopefully Mayock will learn from this and get better in the future. 

• Like 1