6.205 - MIN: Josh Metellus S/Michigan

RpMc

Overview

Plays downhill in run support. Technical tackler with high finishing rate. Fits gap with quick gather-and-strike talent. May offer positional versatility on the next level. Possesses balance and hips for short-area coverage duties. Foot twitch for transitions from coverage to close-out. Aggressive clawing at catch-point. Strike to jar football loose from receivers. Early recognition and response to play-action. Gets head around to find football downfield.

Just now, Virginia Viking said:

My guess is that he will probably be on the practice squad.

Actually, I disagree here pending if they bring in any veteran safeties. The backup safety positions are an open competition and I think Mettelus will prove his worth on special teams. I have him penciled in on the roster right now; with Cole II and/or Dorn on the PS. Harrison Hand will be converted to a free safety/big nickel type of role. 

Out of our late round and UDFA safety prospects, I think Mettelus is going to can make the transition to the NFL the quickest. 

https://michigan.rivals.com/news/josh-metellus-vikings-just-got-a-dog-

One thing that will help Metellus at the next level are his versatility as both a defensive back and somebody who has experience playing in the box. He made a point to stress how versatile he is at the Senior Bowl in January and on Zoom calls with teams ahead of the draft.

"I played outside linebacker, both safety spots, nickel and corner," Metellus said of his time at U-M. "I feel like that will definitely help me because I’ll be able to get on the field. Moving around at Michigan, it just helped me a lot, getting a different feel for the game, helping my football I.Q. so that way when I get to this level, I’ll be able to just come in and do whatever the coaches ask.

"I think my versatility is the best part of my game. I feel like I can be put anywhere on the field, and I’ll be able to compete at a very high level.

"I feel like the Vikings are getting a lot more than just a safety. They’re getting a guy that can play different spots and has a high I.Q. about the game and is willing to do whatever to make the team win."

Out of his measurables, he's just a tad bit shorter than ideal safety height at 5'11. But everything else checks all the boxes for me.

Slot right, recognizes the fly pattern, flips his hips, turns and runs and stays with the receiver for the incompletion

Solid diagnosis and open field tackle on the crossing receiver for minimal gain

Another example of slot CB play, flipping hips and running stride for stride with receiver

Shows off closing speed, wraps up for TFL

Slot coverage, wr has an option route to the outside, Mettelus is there with him for the tackle and minimal gain

This might be my favorite.  Covers the slot and denys any target, when the QB takes off, he throws the blocker aside, makes the tackle on the running QB, forces the fumble for the turnover. That was cool

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 2

Nice post. I like Metellus quite a bit more after watching him (opposite to my experience watching Harrison Hand). He does line up everywhere from single high, to box safety to slot corner. He seems really smart, often pointing things out presnap to his teammates, and he doesn’t end up out of position. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...