2020 Draft Pick #201 - James Proche

coordinator0

9 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Yea, I caught that on the post draft presser.

Went into detail about how confident and sure handed he was with all his opportunities there. 

Interesting enough though, he doesn't really have any massive returns to his credit in CFB. We all know how much the team values ball security at their returner spots, and especially lately it seems like we haven't had luck at either spot(Outside of a brief Cyrus Jones hot streak). So I get the enthusiasm in adding a a strong candidate for the spot. I don't see Proche as a dynamic weapon in that department though. He's an overaged prospect that will turn 24 during the season, and he has limited athleticism to dig any kind of major physical leaps out of. So it's a little weird to me that EDC is so excited about him as a returning going forward. I welcome the secure hands though. 

Meh. If we can get a returner that we can have full confidence that he won’t muff punts... and he can replace Willie Snead as early as next season (when we’re not paying him $6m) with someone with supposedly automatic hands that might not drop key passes from Lamar Jackson in a pivotal playoff game... then that does sound like an intriguing proposition. Snead better watch his back because his replacement is on the roster.

Well... Duvernay as well is kind of his replacement, but there’s an argument to be made that maybe he plays more on the outside with that speed to stretch the field.

• Like 1

I will say, I like the prospect of Proche returning punts. If he can reliably catch and simply be like (what was his name?) Chris Carr... just goes back there and gets you 8-10 yards every time and doesn’t fumble the ball.

With our ball control offense that has some explosive twists... and a seemingly stout front 7 that will smash mouth the run... plus an elite group of secondary pieces... just having a reliable punt coverage unit will be crucial. Kind of like with Sam Koch... we don’t need an elite punt every time, we just need a guy that won’t shank punts and screw things up, someone that can be an incredibly reliable holder for Justin Tucker.

If Proche is that guy at punt returner... regardless of what more he can do at kick returner or slot WR... he will be worth his roster spot weight in gold.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I will say, I like the prospect of Proche returning punts. If he can reliably catch and simply be like (what was his name?) Chris Carr... just goes back there and gets you 8-10 yards every time and doesn’t fumble the ball.

With our ball control offense that has some explosive twists... and a seemingly stout front 7 that will smash mouth the run... plus an elite group of secondary pieces... just having a reliable punt coverage unit will be crucial. Kind of like with Sam Koch... we don’t need an elite punt every time, we just need a guy that won’t shank punts and screw things up, someone that can be an incredibly reliable holder for Justin Tucker.

If Proche is that guy at punt returner... regardless of what more he can do at kick returner or slot WR... he will be worth his roster spot weight in gold.

Totally agreed. From his NFL Combine Draft profile:

- Good hands option as punt returner

Unless we have the next Dante Hall, I think we're better served having a guy we can rely on back there to not muff the punt over a guy who may have a slightly higher chance of ripping off a big one but who also takes up a spot on the 53 without contributing to one of the other facets of the game.

• Like 1

This guy wasn't really on my radar beforehand but gotta say he's got one hell of a highlight reel. That said, you gotta wonder how a 5'11 guy who made his living on contested catches in college can really separate at an NFL level. But he's a gamer for sure, might just be one of those guys who finds ways to produce one way or another. Definitely a worthwhile late round shot. 

8 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

This guy wasn't really on my radar beforehand but gotta say he's got one hell of a highlight reel. That said, you gotta wonder how a 5'11 guy who made his living on contested catches in college can really separate at an NFL level. But he's a gamer for sure, might just be one of those guys who finds ways to produce one way or another. Definitely a worthwhile late round shot. 

He's the WR we need and the hero we won't deserve.

9 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I feel like if you get a guy that tries hard enough, he can get open in our offense. We all probably aren't going to get the dream fulfilled of a mid-late rounder who develops in to a pro bowl WR. But, with this pick we are more looking for a guy who makes the most of 40 targets or so. Brown is the #1, Andrews will dominate attention in the middle, the defense will be focused on Lamar and the running game.... I can picture Proche being the guy who keeps fighting and getting open while Lamar is extending the play. Having someone who doesn't drop passes on some chain moving situations would be a great return on this pick.

54 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I feel like if you get a guy that tries hard enough, he can get open in our offense. We all probably aren't going to get the dream fulfilled of a mid-late rounder who develops in to a pro bowl WR. But, with this pick we are more looking for a guy who makes the most of 40 targets or so. Brown is the #1, Andrews will dominate attention in the middle, the defense will be focused on Lamar and the running game.... I can picture Proche being the guy who keeps fighting and getting open while Lamar is extending the play. Having someone who doesn't drop passes on some chain moving situations would be a great return on this pick.

WR is a position I would like to see us consistently draft like the Steelers have in the past. Not a ton of high picks, but a steady stream of mid-round guys who provide a stable of good (and sometimes great) options for the QB. Pay to keep the stars, but avoid super inefficient use of cap by constantly bringing in veteran retreads.

Also, I've mentioned in before, but I really like the way EDC seems to approach/think about future contract staggering and expiration. Snead is on a deal that runs through the end of this year. He went and got two slot type guys in the third and sixth. At least one of them should be able to absorb a healthy dose of Snead's 2020 opportunities in 2021 and onward, then we can focus on bringing in someone (or someones) on the outside to supplement Brown/Boykin and potentially be ready to step up if we have the luxury of choosing who to extend (perfect world, it's Brown).

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sp6488 said:

WR is a position I would like to see us consistently draft like the Steelers have in the past. Not a ton of high picks, but a steady stream of mid-round guys who provide a stable of good (and sometimes great) options for the QB. Pay to keep the stars, but avoid super inefficient use of cap by constantly bringing in veteran retreads.

Also, I've mentioned in before, but I really like the way EDC seems to approach/think about future contract staggering and expiration. Snead is on a deal that runs through the end of this year. He went and got two slot type guys in the third and sixth. At least one of them should be able to absorb a healthy dose of Snead's 2020 opportunities in 2021 and onward, then we can focus on bringing in someone (or someones) on the outside to supplement Brown/Boykin and potentially be ready to step up if we have the luxury of choosing who to extend (perfect world, it's Brown).

Good analysis here.