Grade the draft picks

JAF-N72EX

Just now, CBears019 said:
1 minute ago, dafreak said:

Pretty cool to get some insight, thanks...

I’m cool with it, keep me coming if you’re curious.  May not get answered till tomorrow.  Once my whiskeys empty I’m going to sleep.

I share this sentiment. These are things I was not aware of. 

• Like 1

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

That's surprising. But I guess it is Chicago so...

That's also really sad to hear about child abuse having to be reported by teachers or other school officials and not the kids themselves or other family members.   

Nooo not Chicago lol.  I work in an unnamed western suburb.  Well, it has a name, but I don’t say it here.  I may have arrested some of you over the past 5+ years.

Nooo not Chicago lol.  I work in an unnamed western suburb.  Well, it has a name, but I don’t say it here.  I may have arrested some of you over the past 5+ years.

Lol okay, I thought it was Chicago because I was on this forum when you were just starting out and I thought it was in one of the Chi districts. I must've been wrong the whole time. 

And you didn't arrest me. Those days are over for me. YEARS ago. (Which is why I thought you guys worked weekends -- I was nabbed on a weekend when I was finally caught lol. 

• Like 1

Not me. I'm far too boring to be arrested. 

My dad was a detective for many years (and served in various other law enforcement positions outside of that). 

Thanks for all you do. In the real world, not here. Oh, but thanks for what you do here, too. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

My dad was a detective for many years (and served in various other law enforcement positions outside of that). 

Thanks for all you do. In the real world, not here. Oh, but thanks for what you do here, too. 

That's how I am now. I don't go anywhere or do anything. I'm a boring family man now. I've had enough wild days of being young and stupid. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Thank you I appreciate that.  But honestly, I love my job.  I know I’m biased, but I feel it’s the best job in the world.  On a slow day, I’m hanging out with my friends, drinking coffee, and shooting the crap (or on the range shooting real guns).  On busy days, we get to “be the police”, as in what you see on shows like COPS, Live PD, etc.  There’s nothing quite like getting a “hot call” in your patrol squad, turning the lights/sirens on, and freakin hitting he pedal to the metal.  

I love talking about my job to give people a real look into what’ve law enforcement actually is, so if you guys got any questions feel free to ask.  I’ll respond tomorrow because i am going to bed now - i have an email to send in the morning so i gotta rest up for that :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Lol okay, I thought it was Chicago because I was on this forum when you were just starting out and I thought it was in one of the Chi districts. I must've been wrong the whole time. 

And you didn't arrest me. Those days are over for me. YEARS ago. (Which is why I thought you guys worked weekends -- I was nabbed on a weekend when I was finally caught lol. 

Finally caught? lol

2 hours ago, CBears019 said:
2 hours ago, dafreak said:

Finally caught? lol

Yeah i was gonna ask about that “finally” part lol

This has seriously taking me a long time to write because I honestly don't like sharing my past with anyone because I absolutely HATE sharing or looking back on this part of my life anymore because It doesn't represent anything that I stand for now.

This is only the short part of it, but here it goes.

I'm from Toledo, Ohio and from the age of 13 to 21 I sold drugs and guns in OH, Mi, Indy, Illy, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. I was not on anyone's radar until I screwed up and put a target on my back at the age of 17. (And because my "friend" turned on me)

My reputation, that i THOUGHT was so important to uphold at the time eventually caught up to me, and was ultimately my downfall. I had a bad temper and did not take crap from anyone. When I was 17, one day I was with my boy at a gas station pumping and I seen this guy at a Marcos Pizza across the street that I had been looking for so I waited for him in the parking lot and beat him pretty bad. I didn't know how bad it was (will get to this later). 

Marcos Pizza had me on camera but cameras were not as vivid as they are now so they couldn't prove it was me but they did have witnesses (workers, including on of his friends) and everything else needed. Fast forward 8 months later (was 18 now --this was ON my 18th B-day) I was pulled over for a traffic stop (they changed the lanes in downtown Toledo and I accidentally went the wrong way a one way street on a street that USED to be two way street just out of habit). They found a unregistered gun in the car and only a QP of weed bagged in one -- it was personnel use (it was not legal then tho). Only one, thankfully, but I guess they also noticed where I was from and had an idea where the gun AND the weed had come from (how, I don't know, but this is PART of what raised suspicion in the future). Plus I had already caught a felony charged at 16 for felonious assault (beat another kid pretty badly who's family just happen to know the Schools officer that knew me VERY WELL (thank you Hymore--good dude though) and had previous gun charge at "frog city" (a old pool hall in the city). 

Anyhow, they arrest and charge me with possession of hand gun and a F2 (felonious assault) for the Marcos thing. I sat in jail until the hearing and both of my lawyers (my paid lawyer and my Dad's) tell me that I'm okay and that I'm getting out on bail. WRONG. The guy I beat up showed up to the courthouse that morning and showed the prosecutors hospitals reports showing that he had flat-lined 3 times while he was there and the judge raises the charge to attempt murder and considers me a "threat to society" and orders me back to jail until sentencing. I hurt him badly. And as someone who NOW suffers from several head injuries now, this is one of biggest regrets in life. It really is. Even though years later after I changed he try to have me killed.

So, I do my time and I get a lenient 2 years with time served, 2 years probation, and I had to pay every month for the rest of the guys hospitals bills that the insurance wouldn't pay for (about 8 grand). 500 a month. I only did about 6 months for good behavior --playing cards all day and hoping one of your pod mates doesn't freak out and break the ONLY TV you all have SUCKS.  

To keep it short, I get out and go back to work at both jobs--I was also working at Mcd's at the time and working my *** off too -- not only as a cover up but because I have strong work ethic). But now I'm on the radar without even knowing. By this time, I'm 19 and I learn that my GF (current wife one month younger than me) is pregnant is with our first kid and this starts opening up my eyes and seeing that this is the life that I don't want for my kid so I try to start easing my way out of it but it's not that easy. 

Years later, one night, one of my dudes calls me and he needs a shotgun(sawed-off) for someone local he knew but I was getting ready to leave out of town so I told him I will leave it in trash can in the backyard for him to pick up. But he ended up getting pulled over that night and caught with drugs(same ones linked to mine) and had 2 warrants in 2 separate counties, so needless to say he didn't pick up the gun. I'm out of town and I don't hear a word about any of this until a couple of days later (the gun is still sitting there). So I call someone (I'll call him ST) to pick it up and everything goes smooth until I get back from vacay and I hear that nobody has heard from him since. He's not answering his phone, his family or girl don't where he is or anything. He shows up about a week later after I get back and he has the gun and everything seems okay -- he was one of the ONLY ones I thought we would NEVER snitch. He was younger than me and I would literally give his mom money to buy food, pay rent, electric bill, etc anytime they needed it before he started working.while he was in school)

Atleast I thought it was okay anyways. 4 months later we were raided. 11 of us got arrested, 7 houses were raided (only 2 stash houses though) on a Sunday night and it turns out that they had been watching us for a while (my offense at 17) and they were working with one of "us" as part of a deal.  None of us (especially ME) had ANY idea that he would turn but he did. 

I was lucky enough to get off on a friendly deal again (first offense ) and did my time. I got out just in time 

I have lived a crazy life and I don't condone ANY of this. I have been jumped, shot, stabbed, and I regret it all now. I have issues now becuase I have taken so much damage to the head that I wont reveal here but it has had lasting effect on my life that I didn't even consider at the time. 

What's even crazier about all of this is that today I will not let drugs into my house whatsoever anymore. And just recently, in December, my wife told that she had starting to smoke weed again and she was reluctant on telling me because she knows how I feel about any drug now. I won't even take Excedrin now when I need it for my ankle or knee pain until it's reaches a point that I cant take it anymore because I know that I will need it later and I don't want my body to get immune to at this young age.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

This has seriously taking me a long time to write because I honestly don't like sharing my past with anyone because I absolutely HATE sharing or looking back on this part of my life anymore because It doesn't represent anything that I stand for now.

I'm from Toledo, Ohio and from the age of 13 to 21 I sold drugs and guns in OH, Mi, Indy, Illy, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. I was not on anyone's radar until I screwed up and put a target on my back at the age of 17. (And because my "friend" turned on me)

My reputation, that i THOUGHT was so important to uphold at the time eventually caught up to me, and was ultimately my downfall. I had a bad temper and did not take crap from anyone. When I was 17, one day I was with my boy at a gas station pumping and I seen this guy at a Marcos Pizza across the street that I had been looking for so I waited for him in the parking lot and beat him pretty bad. I didn't know how bad it was (will get to this later). 

Marcos Pizza had me on camera but cameras were not as vivid as they are now so they couldn't prove it was me but they did have witnesses (workers, including on of his friends) and everything else needed. Fast forward 8 months later (was 18 now --this was ON my 18th B-day) I was pulled over for a traffic stop (they changed the lanes in downtown Toledo and I accidentally went the wrong way a one way street on a street that USED to be two way street just out of habit). They found a unregistered gun in the car and only a QP of weed bagged in one -- it was personnel use (it was not legal then tho). Only one, thankfully, but I guess they also noticed where I was from and had an idea where the gun AND the weed had come from (how, I don't know, but this is PART of what raised suspicion in the future). Plus I had already caught a felony charged at 16 for felonious assault (beat another kid pretty badly who's family just happen to know the Schools officer that knew me VERY WELL (thank you Hymore--good dude though) and had previous gun charge at "frog city" (a old pool hall in the city). 

Anyhow, they arrest and charge me with possession of hand gun and a F2 (felonious assault) for the Marcos thing. I sat in jail until the hearing and both of my lawyers (my paid lawyer and my Dad's) tell me that I'm okay and that I'm getting out on bail. WRONG. The guy I beat up showed up to the courthouse that morning and showed the prosecutors hospitals reports showing that he had flat-lined 3 times while he was there and the judge raises the charge to attempt murder and considers me a "threat to society" and orders me back to jail until sentencing. I hurt him badly. And as someone who NOW suffers from several head injuries now, this is one of biggest regrets in life. It really is. Even though years later after I changed he try to have me killed.

So, I do my time and I get a lenient 2 years with time served, 2 years probation, and I had to pay every month for the rest of the guys hospitals bills that the insurance wouldn't pay for (about 8 grand). 500 a month. I only did about 6 months for good behavior --playing cards all day and hoping one of your pod mates doesn't freak out and break the ONLY TV you all have SUCKS.  

To keep it short, I get out and go back to work at both jobs--I was also working at Mcd's at the time and working my *** off too -- not only as a cover up but because I have strong work ethic). But now I'm on the radar without even knowing. By this time, I'm 19 and I learn that my GF (current wife one month younger than me) is pregnant is with our first kid and this starts opening up my eyes and seeing that this is the life that I don't want for my kid so I try to start easing my way out of it but it's not that easy. 

Years later, one night, one of my dudes calls me and he needs a shotgun(sawed-off) for someone local he knew but I was getting ready to leave out of town so I told him I will leave it in trash can in the backyard for him to pick up. But he ended up getting pulled over that night and caught with drugs(same ones linked to mine) and had 2 warrants in 2 separate counties, so needless to say he didn't pick up the gun. I'm out of town and I don't hear a word about any of this until a couple of days later (the gun is still sitting there). So I call someone (I'll call him ST) to pick it up and everything goes smooth until I get back from vacay and I hear that nobody has heard from him since. He's not answering his phone, his family or girl don't where he is or anything. He shows up about a week later after I get back and he has the gun and everything seems okay -- he was one of the ONLY ones I thought we would NEVER snitch. He was younger than me and I would literally give his mom money to buy food, pay rent, electric bill, etc anytime they needed it before he started working.while he was in school)

Atleast I thought it was okay anyways. 4 months later we were raided. 11 of us got arrested, 7 houses were raided (only 2 stash houses though) on a Sunday night and it turns out that they had been watching us for a while (my offense at 17) and they were working with one of "us" as part of a deal.  None of us (especially ME) had ANY idea that he would turn but he did. 

I was lucky enough to get off on a friendly deal again (first offense ) and did my time. I got out just in time 

I have lived a crazy life and I don't condone ANY of this. I have been jumped, shot, stabbed, and I regret it all now. I have issues now becuase I have taken so much damage to the head that I wont reveal here but it has had lasting effect on my life that I didn't even consider at the time. 

What's even crazier about all of this is that today I will not let drugs into my house whatsoever anymore. And just recently, in December, my wife told that she had starting to smoke weed again and she was reluctant on telling me because she knows how I feel about any drug now. I won't even take Excedrin now when I need it for my ankle or knee pain until it's reaches a point that I cant take it anymore because I know that I will need it later and I don't want my body to get immune to at this young age.

New respect for you. I know we rarely, if ever, agree on football but I don't like to hear everything you've went through. We all learn for the best in some capacity throughout our lives & your situation happens to be more extreme than most.

Stay clean and be safe, buddy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Jaylon Johnson is a Top 25 talent that fell because of injuries. I wanted him at 19. Bears always getting the last laugh... Johnson is a shutdown corner. 

Pretty happy with Arnette though. The real workhorse of that Ohio State secondary and the real shut down guy of #1 WR’s (not saying he’s better than Okudah). 

Did you want Arnette at 19 though?  If he is your target don’t you trade down and get him?  I have to think he lasts a bit.  

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Nice story!  So happy you turned around.  

It’s funny that I believe I was just a few things from taking a somewhat similar path.  I have friends that did. I have several friends that ended up shot and in jail or addicted to drugs or alcohol. 

I am a Middle/upper class white kid with a good dad is basically what stopped me from being a jackass and a different plan God had.  But when I was young I wanted girls and money and violence was exciting to me.  Like an adventure - I was really into comics and the Iliad/Odyssey/Alexander the Great and I wanted to be a warrior/adventurer/hero.  Not a soldier.    Why I wanted to hang with the poorer/violent kids without dads or restrictions.  They were doing what I wanted to be doing - fighting and having sex.  That kind of thing (and honestly they are also smart, generally good and interesting people - not tv or movie stereotypes).  

When I saw where it was all leading (about Soph. Or Jr. Year in high school) I stopped being an idiot and got back to normal life of sports and school.  I was still sinning like a fool and did for many years, but I wasn’t trying to be any stupid kind of gangster.  Just regular trying to get any girl I could to have sex with me stuff.    

Had I not a father and a family I may have planned a different life of fast money and easy women though whatever means available and I am clever enough to do it.

I always believed in God, because creation and I think a lot about probabilities of this or that and how things work from Atoms to Space even as a small child.  But every time I thought of learning about God I would get a bad teacher that would turn me off.  But He was always in back of mind.   Few times I got in a fight and hurt someone, I couldn’t sleep for days from the guilt.  My friends would pat me on the back and laud me for the knock out, but I would lay in bed at night and cry about it.

Later I married a wonderful woman who gradually opened my eyes and I sat and read and read and read and learned mostly on my own, but now with good help  Still am.  Always learning.  Never stops.   We live in age of Library of Alexandria.   The dream of millions of ancients has come true.  

• Like 1

2[43] TE Cole Kmet...B+...This is a pick that combines need, floor and ceiling...we didn't really have a "Y" TE on this roster outside of Harris and we clearly needed an upgrade on him...Kmet brings excellent size, speed & athletic ability to make an instant impact especially in the passing game where a lot of LBs will struggle to cover him...I also like the fact he isn't going to tip a defence to what coming...Kmet also has a really high ceiling and if he can improve on his overall strength and blocking technique he will be a quality pick up.

2[50] CB Jaylon Johnson...A+...Excellent value at #50 for Johnson...and an even better fit in this defence...for me he is Kyle Fuller 2.0...excellent in press, athletic, high football IQ, willing tackler and plenty of ball skills...Johnson will present an upgrade on Amukamara from last year...teams will test him early to stay away from Fuller but I suspect that won't last long as Johnson will make them pay for it.

5[155] OLB Trevis Gipson...A...can never have enough pass rushers and this is exactly the type of high upside development prospect we should be looking for...Gipson is a guy with all the tools to eventually develop into a real force...if anything this is a Pagano pick like they have done in Baltimore for years with the likes of Parnell McPhee & Matt Judon...Gipson size, length, strength, motor and physicality could see him become a 3rd down pass rusher early in his career...he also had some great grades as a run defender from PFF for what that's worth.

5[163] CB Kindle Vildor...B-...So this is the pick that position wise doesn't make a ton of sense...we clearly like size and length at the outside CB spot so Vildor doesn't make a ton of sense there and Skrine is under contract for at least this season and we took Shelley last season to play the nickel so where does he fit? That is a question Pace didn't answer saying they felt he could play both so the pick has to be marked down...that said he is clearly a confident and talented coverage guy who seems to make excellent breaks on the ball...I think he is an out and out nickel and this is a move for 2021 that could pay off.

5[173] WR Darnell Mooney...B...I like this pick...don't love it but like it...I think the 4.3 speed doesn't quite show up on film as much as it did at the combine...this isn't a guy like Hill who is just flat out going to run away from quality defensive backs but if used right he will carve out a role for himself...I just hope we work on developing all his traits so we don't make it easy for a defence to know what he is doing when he does see the field.

7[226] Lachavious Simmons...B...High upside pick who will battle it out for a place on the practice squad...would rather have taken a special teamer who could give us better field position or score us points but there could be something there.

7[227] Arlington Hambright...B...same as above.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Wow.

No offense JAF, but nothing about your posting here even hints at a thug life past...

11 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I love talking about my job to give people a real look into what’ve law enforcement actually is, so if you guys got any questions feel free to ask.  I’ll respond tomorrow because i am going to bed now - i have an email to send in the morning so i gotta rest up for that :)

Rode with dad when he was still a patrolman a few times. Got in a high speed chase once. It was freaky. 

• Like 1