Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CWood21

6.208 - Jake Hanson [C; Oregon]

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Love going OL in the late rounds.  Three guys who can play inside (I think correct me if I’m wrong) means we could still cut or trade Taylor for somebody or a future pick and not miss a beat with our backup IOL positions.  One of them has to be an okay option I think.

Yeah these OL might actually be the best help this draft gives to the 20 team.  If they mean we can cut Taylor and use the money on a free agent to play in 20 then we've got something useful from this draft class this coming year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2020 at 4:07 PM, YaddaHolla said:

As an avid Duck fan I watch all of their games. Hanson gets pushed around a lot. 

So Gute is now drafting scrubs......ohhhhh noooo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ Ha. Hype videos for centers just don't hit the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 reps on bench.  That would seem to be strong enough.  Whether he'll be quick enough to ever apply bench-press power to NFL guys, beats me.  Would sure be cool if they converted on one of these late-round IOL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, craig said:

33 reps on bench.  That would seem to be strong enough.  Whether he'll be quick enough to ever apply bench-press power to NFL guys, beats me.  Would sure be cool if they converted on one of these late-round IOL.  

I think Runyan and Hanson will both pan out. They may not bee Pro Bowlers, but they'll be solid.

Hanson will probably be the best pick of this draft other than Dillon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SAM said:

 Linsley's replacement? 

That would be the hope.  Have to figure they're going to roll with 8 or 9 OL.  I think 10 is unlikely, unless they've got a developmental type they really want to keep around.  You can probably pencil in David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Corey Linsley, Billy Turner, and Ricky Wagner.  I don't think you give Lucas Patrick that extension unless you're planning on him being on the roster in 2020.  The next 2-4 OL likely come from Jon Runyan, Jake Hanson, Simon Stepaniak, Cole Madison, Alex Light, or Yosh Nijman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd just pop Stepaniak and Madison right onto the IR.  That gives you an extra year of club control.  And the odds that either is going to be raw rookies who just pop right off of ACL and have any roster value is zilch.  

Personally I'm not convinced they might not still bring Lane Taylor back as injury insurance?  Starting 5, with Taylor and Patrick as this-year subs?  Then let those other developmental guys battle it out for spots 8 and-or 9?  

Does the expanded practice-squad kick in this year yet, or not till next?  One if not both of Runyan or Hanson could redshirt there, perhaps?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, craig said:

I'd just pop Stepaniak and Madison right onto the IR.  That gives you an extra year of club control.  And the odds that either is going to be raw rookies who just pop right off of ACL and have any roster value is zilch.  

Personally I'm not convinced they might not still bring Lane Taylor back as injury insurance?  Starting 5, with Taylor and Patrick as this-year subs?  Then let those other developmental guys battle it out for spots 8 and-or 9?  

Does the expanded practice-squad kick in this year yet, or not till next?  One if not both of Runyan or Hanson could redshirt there, perhaps?  

Pretty sure Stepaniak tore his ACL.  I'd be surprised if he didn't at least start on the PUP, unless the season gets pushed back.  Doubt they bring back Lane Taylor with his cap hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Hanson pulled up on his first 40 attempt (the 5.45) and didn’t run another one FWIW 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott Wells was a 7'th round pick.

JC Tretter was a 4'th round pick.

Linsley was a 5'th round pick.

Seems like this is the right part of the draft to take a center.  (Unless you are Minnesota)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Bill Huber at SI has an article up on Jake

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/hanson-was-the-boss

In Mirabal’s opinion, everything clicked for Hanson as talent combined with experience for his senior season. The game slowed down, which allowed Hanson to play with more of a big-picture feel for his surroundings. Mirabal compared it to a thoroughbred racing with blinders so the horse can see only straight ahead and not be distracted by what’s going on to his left and right. For Hanson, it was like playing without blinders.

“It comes with experience but some guys never achieve it,” Mirabal said. “I’m telling you, I noticed it right away. Our first scrimmage of last spring, we were in Portland scrimmaging and we were running it and, all of a sudden, he starts doing things that I’m like, ‘Wow.’ You’re working with the front-side guard but he feels what’s going on with the back-side guard. It’s one of those things. ‘Coach, I just kind of felt it.’ You could see the game start to slow down for him. That happens with experience but some guys never get it.
Some guys never see beyond, ‘Hey, this is the guy I’ve got.’  That was really, really cool to see. You could see how his game took off.”

Edited by Shanedorf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

 

Bill Huber at SI has an article up on Jake

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/hanson-was-the-boss

In Mirabal’s opinion, everything clicked for Hanson as talent combined with experience for his senior season. The game slowed down, which allowed Hanson to play with more of a big-picture feel for his surroundings. Mirabal compared it to a thoroughbred racing with blinders so the horse can see only straight ahead and not be distracted by what’s going on to his left and right. For Hanson, it was like playing without blinders.

“It comes with experience but some guys never achieve it,” Mirabal said. “I’m telling you, I noticed it right away. Our first scrimmage of last spring, we were in Portland scrimmaging and we were running it and, all of a sudden, he starts doing things that I’m like, ‘Wow.’ You’re working with the front-side guard but he feels what’s going on with the back-side guard. It’s one of those things. ‘Coach, I just kind of felt it.’ You could see the game start to slow down for him. That happens with experience but some guys never get it.
Some guys never see beyond, ‘Hey, this is the guy I’ve got.’  That was really, really cool to see. You could see how his game took off.”

If there is one guy we should listen to about OL it’s Coach Mirabal. We’re getting a guy in Hanson that’s never going to go around you, instead he’ll go right through you. That Oregon OL was nasty. Almost want to tank for Penei Sewell. Best OT prospect in 20 years. 
 

Mirabal breaking down all 22 tape of Oregon’s OL last year. Good stuff. I think we got a guy in Hanson and at minimum a replacement for Linsley. 
 

Tank for Sewell 2020? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×