6.208 - Jake Hanson [C; Oregon]

CWood21

12 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Love going OL in the late rounds.  Three guys who can play inside (I think correct me if I’m wrong) means we could still cut or trade Taylor for somebody or a future pick and not miss a beat with our backup IOL positions.  One of them has to be an okay option I think.

Yeah these OL might actually be the best help this draft gives to the 20 team.  If they mean we can cut Taylor and use the money on a free agent to play in 20 then we've got something useful from this draft class this coming year.

1 hour ago, craig said:

33 reps on bench.  That would seem to be strong enough.  Whether he'll be quick enough to ever apply bench-press power to NFL guys, beats me.  Would sure be cool if they converted on one of these late-round IOL.  

I think Runyan and Hanson will both pan out. They may not bee Pro Bowlers, but they'll be solid.

Hanson will probably be the best pick of this draft other than Dillon.

20 minutes ago, SAM said:

Linsley's replacement? 

That would be the hope.  Have to figure they're going to roll with 8 or 9 OL.  I think 10 is unlikely, unless they've got a developmental type they really want to keep around.  You can probably pencil in David Bakhtiari, Elgton Jenkins, Corey Linsley, Billy Turner, and Ricky Wagner.  I don't think you give Lucas Patrick that extension unless you're planning on him being on the roster in 2020.  The next 2-4 OL likely come from Jon Runyan, Jake Hanson, Simon Stepaniak, Cole Madison, Alex Light, or Yosh Nijman. 

I'd just pop Stepaniak and Madison right onto the IR.  That gives you an extra year of club control.  And the odds that either is going to be raw rookies who just pop right off of ACL and have any roster value is zilch.  

Personally I'm not convinced they might not still bring Lane Taylor back as injury insurance?  Starting 5, with Taylor and Patrick as this-year subs?  Then let those other developmental guys battle it out for spots 8 and-or 9?  

Does the expanded practice-squad kick in this year yet, or not till next?  One if not both of Runyan or Hanson could redshirt there, perhaps?  

15 minutes ago, craig said:

I'd just pop Stepaniak and Madison right onto the IR.  That gives you an extra year of club control.  And the odds that either is going to be raw rookies who just pop right off of ACL and have any roster value is zilch.  

Personally I'm not convinced they might not still bring Lane Taylor back as injury insurance?  Starting 5, with Taylor and Patrick as this-year subs?  Then let those other developmental guys battle it out for spots 8 and-or 9?  

Does the expanded practice-squad kick in this year yet, or not till next?  One if not both of Runyan or Hanson could redshirt there, perhaps?  

Pretty sure Stepaniak tore his ACL.  I'd be surprised if he didn't at least start on the PUP, unless the season gets pushed back.  Doubt they bring back Lane Taylor with his cap hit.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Huber at SI has an article up on Jake

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/hanson-was-the-boss

In Mirabal’s opinion, everything clicked for Hanson as talent combined with experience for his senior season. The game slowed down, which allowed Hanson to play with more of a big-picture feel for his surroundings. Mirabal compared it to a thoroughbred racing with blinders so the horse can see only straight ahead and not be distracted by what’s going on to his left and right. For Hanson, it was like playing without blinders.

“It comes with experience but some guys never achieve it,” Mirabal said. “I’m telling you, I noticed it right away. Our first scrimmage of last spring, we were in Portland scrimmaging and we were running it and, all of a sudden, he starts doing things that I’m like, ‘Wow.’ You’re working with the front-side guard but he feels what’s going on with the back-side guard. It’s one of those things. ‘Coach, I just kind of felt it.’ You could see the game start to slow down for him. That happens with experience but some guys never get it.
Some guys never see beyond, ‘Hey, this is the guy I’ve got.’  That was really, really cool to see. You could see how his game took off.”

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Bill Huber at SI has an article up on Jake

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/hanson-was-the-boss

In Mirabal’s opinion, everything clicked for Hanson as talent combined with experience for his senior season. The game slowed down, which allowed Hanson to play with more of a big-picture feel for his surroundings. Mirabal compared it to a thoroughbred racing with blinders so the horse can see only straight ahead and not be distracted by what’s going on to his left and right. For Hanson, it was like playing without blinders.

“It comes with experience but some guys never achieve it,” Mirabal said. “I’m telling you, I noticed it right away. Our first scrimmage of last spring, we were in Portland scrimmaging and we were running it and, all of a sudden, he starts doing things that I’m like, ‘Wow.’ You’re working with the front-side guard but he feels what’s going on with the back-side guard. It’s one of those things. ‘Coach, I just kind of felt it.’ You could see the game start to slow down for him. That happens with experience but some guys never get it.
Some guys never see beyond, ‘Hey, this is the guy I’ve got.’  That was really, really cool to see. You could see how his game took off.”

If there is one guy we should listen to about OL it’s Coach Mirabal. We’re getting a guy in Hanson that’s never going to go around you, instead he’ll go right through you. That Oregon OL was nasty. Almost want to tank for Penei Sewell. Best OT prospect in 20 years. 

Mirabal breaking down all 22 tape of Oregon’s OL last year. Good stuff. I think we got a guy in Hanson and at minimum a replacement for Linsley. 

Tank for Sewell 2020? 

• Like 1