Raider 2020 UDFA signings

RaidersAreOne

15 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Kinda wish we would sign 2-3 more guys from my list 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/nick-bowers-48107/

this has to be a typo.  There is no way we would be so ignorant to give  Nick Bowers 100k (out of the 137k we’re allowed to use to sign UDFAs).
 I mean last year we Doss (52.5k), Nixon (25k), Ingold (10k), James (10k), Cotton (7.5k), Farmer (10k), Coney (9k), Mabin (7.5k), Roemer (2.5k), McNeil (5k)

There were some good UDFAs out there.  We only had a few spots open so we should have signed a 2-3 of the better ones and not given Nick MF Bowers (now our 7th TE!) a TE who sucks so much he should be Paying us to be in camp like he’s some 40 year old man paying 10k to attend a baseball summer camp with A few HOFers.  

I really hope we didn’t just randomly select possible the lowest ranked player in a draft guide and give him all of our UDFA allowance as a joke.  

I bet after we took Robertson in the 5th the guys just wanted to call it a day and just called up this scrub and said “Hey we got 100k for you if you’ll sign And we can go home early!”

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Bowers related to Gruden? Lol... Yeah Bowers has no shot, waste of time. Even if it’s a long shot, bring a few hungry guys who Atleast can compete. I do like the kicker, white, guard and the DB... weak overall UDFA class 

We did sign a nice K (Eberle) to compete with Carlson which I actually predicted snd was happy about.

Getting a top LS (Liam McCullough) to bring into camp, just Incase Sieg got hurt during the season was smart move too.

I really want to believe Spotrac made an error.  They have before.  They said Joyner had no dead cap after year 1 for months until I hit them up on Twitter and fixed it.  
I’d be very upset if Bowers got 100k.  Like livid.  Look how impactful UDFAs were for us last year.  If your going to Throw 90% of your money at a TE it better be Thaddeus Moss not Nick Bowers.  An overaged 6th year senior who was at Penn State so long he got 2 degrees but only 17 catches.  If Nick’s mother use to whop off Gruden/Mayock you give the kid a plane ticket and a per diem to try out for the team at a mini camp.  Idk how hot his mom is you don’t spend all your UDFA money and create 100k in dead cap on Nick MF Bowers.  The level of ineptness that such a move would entail is epic.  I’m hoping it’s just a typo and he got $100.  I’ve seen UDFAs get $500 before so $100 would be fitting for him.  Im suprised he made the Nittany Lions media guide let alone every in-depth draft guide.

14 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Bowers related to Gruden? Lol... Yeah Bowers has no shot, waste of time. Even if it’s a long shot, bring a few hungry guys who Atleast can compete. I do like the kicker, white, guard and the DB... weak overall UDFA class 

What guard are you referring to I’ve only seen:

-- K Dominik Elerbe, Utah State

-- LB/S Javin White, UNLV

-- WR George Mariner, Utah State via Utah

-- LS Liam McCullough, Ohio State

-- DT Mike Panasiuk, Michigan State

-- TE Nick Bowers, Penn State

-- CB Madre Harper, Southern Illinois

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

This by far is the worst UDFA we’ve had in recent memory.  Actually it’s the worst UDFA class anyone has had in recent memory.  

How on earth do you know that? How many UDFAs have you studied over the years? We’re talking about the 250-500 best players from college. 

I cannot fathom why some of you can’t get it through your head that this year was always going to be different. Covid has meant that teams have taken a very different approach. It was incredibly smart to forward plan by bringing in lots of vet FAs to fill the back end of the roster so we don’t have to rely on late round picks or UDFAs. I would hazard a guess that Mayock is waiting for cuts as he wants any remaining holes to go to players who won’t need training camp as much. It’s those teams who are clambering for UDFAs who’s games should be worried.

Edited by reddevil
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

What guard are you referring to I’ve only seen:

-- K Dominik Elerbe, Utah State

-- LB/S Javin White, UNLV

-- WR George Mariner, Utah State via Utah

-- LS Liam McCullough, Ohio State

-- DT Mike Panasiuk, Michigan State

-- TE Nick Bowers, Penn State

-- CB Madre Harper, Southern Illinois

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Shoot I forgot to list him.  But he’s a RT.  Started all 4 years at RT.  He’s not a guard as far as I read.

Seymour was a four-year starter on the Rutgers offensive line at right tackle. However, his draft stock started to rise during a week he spent at the 2020 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. It was there that Seymour lined up at his more natural guard position and that move began to pay off.

He's projected as a G in the pros but i guess they could still try him out at RT first.

• Like 1

PROS: Terrific frame - tall, thick and long. Blends his impressive build with an outstanding athletic profile, making him appealing based on physical traits alone. Has the ability to matchup with bigger receivers but also the functional athleticism to stay connected at routes elongate. Physical tackler that plays to his weight class. Does well to square and wrap up his target. Terrific ball production in college and he does well to locate the football and break on it with good timing, taking advantage of his length and burst to close. Looks fairly natural in zone coverage, trusting his landmarks and feeling route combinations despite some occasional lapses. Often played on the same side of the formation as Jeremy Chinn and it was obvious their communication was strong. 

CONS: Was dismissed from Oklahoma State in 2017 for a violation of team rules. Plays a bit tall in his pedal which elongates his transitions. Wish there was more lateral quickness to take advantage of in aggressive press coverage. Can become more consistent taking on blocks and shedding in run support. There were some run plays on tape where he didn’t finish and was too assuming.

BEST TRAIT - Size, Ball Skills

WORST TRAIT - Leverage

RED FLAGS - Dismissed from OK State in 2017

Southern Illinois cornerback Madre Harper enters the NFL after two seasons at SI where he started 15 games while appearing in 22. Harper’s college career started at Oklahoma State but he was dismissed from the team during the season in 2017. Harper became a productive defender at Southern Illinois and truly emerged as a senior where his size, athletic ability, ball skills and physicality were on full display. At the next level, Harper profiles as zone and press corner but still needs to polish up his technique in both areas. Harper has the physical traits of a starter in the NFL but given his lack of experience and time spent in the FCS, he will need time to acclimate.

Sounds like a PS project.

3 hours ago, reddevil said:

How on earth do you know that? How many UDFAs have you studied over the years? We’re talking about the 250-500 best players from college. 

I cannot fathom why some of you can’t get it through your head that this year was always going to be different. Covid has meant that teams have taken a very different approach. It was incredibly smart to forward plan by bringing in lots of vet FAs to fill the back end of the roster so we don’t have to rely on late round picks or UDFAs. I would hazard a guess that Mayock is waiting for cuts as he wants any remaining holes to go to players who won’t need training camp as much. It’s those teams who are clambering for UDFAs who’s games should be worried.

Your getting all pissy trying to act like your the only one who understands,,, when your making my point!

I said we should have targeted 2-3 of the top UDFAs.  We only had a handful of roster spots open.  We couldn’t get 12-15 UDFAs like years past.  ALL TEAMS are allowed the same amount of Signing Bonuses to give UDFAs (but teams can guarantee part of the salary aspect of contracts to exceed this amount).  
Almost all the other teams were signing more players than us.  That meant we had a clear advantage: we could go after 3-4 TOP players and give them the highest signing bonus.  Now some positions of ours make it hard to lure UDFAs because they have little chance to make the roster and there are other teams are weak at those positions, so players will want to go there since they have a shot to make the team. I didn’t expect any top UDFAs at QB, WR, TE, G, C, CB.  But we have no competition at K, P,  LS and not are weak in numbers at S, OT and have open roster spots at RB, DT, DE, LB.  That’s where we should have targeted a few top UDFA’s.

We did sign Eberle (K) like I predicted and wanted plus McCullough (LS).  That was good.  But no Punter when Charlton, Turk, and Roy still remain unsigned?  Are we that confident in Cole and his 3rd worse net average?  

So I’ll answer your smug, condescending question of How on earth do you know that? How many UDFAs have you studied over the years?”

Ive been following the draft heavily for 15 years and could rattle of UDFAs we signed or I wanted us to sign 10 years ago.  But that’s not the point.  It doesn’t take much knowledge to know the players we signed were trash.  A few of the guys we signed don’t even deserved to be any teams training camp. We spent 100k Of the allowable 137.5k on Nick Bowers, a TE ranked in the 40-50 range.  Is there any chance he beats out Moreau, Carrier, O’Leary, and Paul Butler?  What we walked away with was woefully inept.  I’m the person who was saying weeks before this year we’d only get a few UDFAs! My issue is the quality of the guys who we signed and the lack of UDFAs at positions we lacked depth.UDFA signings aren’t just about getting players to make the team.... look at past years: Many of these guys make the practice squad.  We only signed 1-3 guys that even have a small chance to do that.  

If a single player other than Eberle makes the roster I promise I will never post here again!!!  

We should have targeted 2-3 top UDFAs At either RB, OT, DL, S and then added a K, P,  LS. That was the smart move.  Fortunately we did get a LS and K, I’ll give them that. 

But for a team who had no picks After round 4 and only needed to fill a few roster spots we failed miserably.  

And BTW we don’t have a roster filled with veterans.  As your would say “I can’t fathom how you guys can say that!” We are deep at QB, G, C, CB but look at our “veteran depth” at:

DT: Vickers and Ross.  Ross has been in the league for 2 years which he was active for 3 and 13 games.  He was on a few PS.  Vickers was a UDFA who was cut and went to the CFL for a year.  What “veteran” depth do we have here?  Isn’t Mayock trying to push Hall?  We could have signed one of Raequan Williams, Josiah Coatney, Benito Jones, Tyler Clark, Malcolm Roach, Darrion Daniels, Calvin Taylor... all of which were graded far better than Panasuiak.

LB:  Our depth is Ukeme Eligwe, Kendall Donnerson, Nick Usher, Derek Moncrief, and Quentin Polings.  Moncrief went to the CFL after not even getting signed as UDFAs. He was a backup for 2 years before becoming a CFL All-Star: I’ll give him that.  Usher was a UDFA with Seattle in ‘17 and didn’t even make it out of mini camps then went to NE and was cut during training camp, didn’t last a month.  He barely played his first year in the CFL and didn’t light up his second year either.  Let’s not forget Usher was a 6’3 235 DE in the CFL.  Donnerson was a 7th round pick by GB in ‘18 who spent year 1 on the PS then was cut in ‘19 and then early in the season we added him to our PS.  Poling is a 7th rounder in ‘18 for Miami who was on their PS year 1 then waived after TC year 2 and ended up on our PS for weeks 4-9, activated for 1 game, and then back to our PS for a few weeks til cut and signed with Atl’s PS.  Ukeme Eligwe was a 5th round pick by KC in ‘17, made the team in ‘17 but only played in 1 game, got cut at the deadline in ‘18, was on the NYG PS in ‘18, then spent ‘19 on Tenn’s PS then the Jets and finally the last week of the year on ours.  I like Te’von Coney but he really didn’t do that well in the PS, got cut and spent most of the year at home before we signed him to our PS week 15 til the end of the year.  What depth do we have besides a bunch of CFL and career PS players? Oh yeah we got ST ace Kyle Wilber whose is only on the team for his ST’s play and will likely be gone at the cut deadline because we drafted Tanner Muse.  Maybe we could have signed any of these guys: Joe Bachie,   David Woodward, Francis Bernard, Jordan Mack, Michael Pinckney, Kyahva Tezino, Dante Olsen, De’Jon Harris, Azur Kamara, Jordan Fehr, Krys Barnes, etc.  I do like that we signed J.White but we could have done better or added another LB.

S:  Leavitt is the only player for camp depth, no FS.  Could have signed JR Reed, Rodney Clemons, Myles Dorn (his fathers played for us!), Shyiem Carter, Jared Maybin, Douglass Coleman, James Hendricks, Chris Miller, Reggie Flyod, Jaquarius Landrews, Alijah Halliburton.  Nope we signed no one (J. white will likely compete at WILL)

OT: We had zero tackles to compete with Parker for LT.  I like Sharpe a lot and think he’s a Lower level starting caliber RT but er have no 3rd RT.  Seymour isn’t nearly as good as Alex Taylor, Trey Adams, Yasir Durant, Calvin Throckmorton, Terrence Steele, Jared Hilbers.  I will say Seymour isn’t a bad UDFA signing at all but he’s a lower tier once.  We could have done better though.

So basically we don’t have this allegedly great depth on our roster.  What he have is bodies.  But we still had vacant roster spots at several positions.  We either ignore them or signed very poor quality players there.  

BTW, before you go off acting like that again make sure you know your stuff.  You didn’t this time at all.

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Sounds like a PS project.

Yeah I like Madre Harper as a UDFA.  Super athletic.  There will be heavy competition for the PS for DBs though.  I can see Nixon not making the team because of Robertson (I hope he does make the team), Mabin (we paid him extra to stay on the PS last year), Nick Nelson, Leavitt (Muse+Heath prolly take Leavitt/Wilber’s roster spots, plus Jordan Brown and DJ Killings, who we liked enough to bring back after we went on IR early in camp.  Idk if that was a stash move for a guy who needed to add weight or they likes but wasn’t gonna be ready to contribute.

My issue wasn’t that we signed all bad players just that we really could have gotten some better talent given we only were signing a few guys and we lacked depth a S, OT, DT.  

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

He's projected as a G in the pros but i guess they could still try him out at RT first.

Interesting.  We have a ton of guards but no tackles to compete with Parker and Sharpe.  Parker is probably the #1 player who needed competition for his position.  I just assumed Seymour would compete at RT because of the numbers game and he’s always played there.

4 hours ago, reddevil said:

Exactly what vets did we bring in besides at G, C, TE, CB? 
i see the depth players at RB, DE, DT, LB are all young practice squad guys or CFL players.  Ross is the only one who actually played a few games in the NFL.   

I don’t see any depth players at OT and S (besides Leavitt).

Stop just reciting headlines and know what your talking about before you “can’t fathom why people don’t get it?”