Raider 2020 UDFA signings

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

People thinking they know who is a good UDFA or not is some next level ****. We have some real scouts in here.

It doesn’t take a scout to realize we signed some scrubbbbbbbs.  If you think I’m a next level Fill in the blank.... fine I’ve been called worse things by better people, buddy.  
and I’ve defended Mayocks draft and applauded last years UDFA signings right when they happened.  I’m not just constantly complaining.  But I guess I’m a “****” for simply criticizing some obviously horrible moves.  Cool with me!

33 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

No I’m not overreacting at all... Bowers is a joke .... it’d be a no big deal thing if he signed him with a 5k SB but why are we guaranteeing salary?  There were 15+ better TEs available as UDFAs before you even get into similar players to Bowers.  Nick Bowers got the biggest UDFA deal this year.  That’s crazy!

I never said I expect starters, your stretching my words.  What competition does Nick Bowers bring tho? He’s a scrubbbb! That fluff article you posted basically said he wasn’t ever a highly recruited player and was chronically injured and didn’t produce and has near zero upside.  That’s not the guy I’m giving guaranteed salary of any amount too.  100k could have been spent on a player that actually had a chance (I said chance!) to make the team.

I didn’t expect a massive haul, go back and look at my mock draft and see I was very reasonable with my expectations.  But UDFAs do have value, look at last year.

That's all fine and good.  However, you've been upset about this for far to long to prove anything otherwise.  Let it go.

17 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I would bet money that Eberle makes the team. He’s got a little stronger leg than Carlson.

White should have a great chance at making the team with the lack of depth at LB. 

Not a great group of UDFA but should find a couple of guys who can make the team. 

I had Eberle in my mock draft as a UDFA and thought that was a great signing.  I think, and admittedly have zero proveable reasoning to support this, that Carlson will rebound.  Nonetheless, even if he does signing Eberle is a great move because he will at bare minimum heavily compete with Carlson, and that’s all you really expect from a UDFA.

Eberle has a good leg, but I do not think it’s stronger than Carlson.  Carlson made a bunch of 50 yarders in college and had the highest touchback rate.  If anything their very close to each other.  

UDFAs aren’t just about getting competition and finding one or two players to make the team.  Let’s not forget they end up making the majority of our practice squad.  And with the new roster rules this is more important then ever, and more reason to be disappointed with this years haul.

I think White and Harper are very good practice squad players for us next year, with a better than average chance to make the roster in ‘21.  The reason I don’t think white will make the team is he’s so similar to Morrow and he can really only play WILL  and ST.  He’ll need a year to bulk up and learn.

12 minutes ago, true2form said:

That's all fine and good.  However, you've been upset about this for far to long to prove anything otherwise.  Let it go.

You have anything else to talk about? Kinda dead around here lately, and the topic was bumped up the list by someone other than I so I responded.  Clearly it’s “over” and unchangageable nor do I have any power to change it.  

not to mention UDFA guarenteed money was just recently released.  So I find it relevant to discuss.

and I never expected the top UDFAs, I realize there are 32 teams competing for them.  I applauded the good signings and criticized the bad ones.  I never said “oh we should have signed player X, he’d make the team!”.  I did however bring up the relevant issue that these are the guys who make up most of our PS and with the new rules it’s very helpful to have 2 top quality PS players.  

honestly, if we had just signed a top UDFA to the deal Bowers got I’d probably be saying it was a good haul.

Edited by jimkelly02

5 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

He’s got the best show imo, although I think he’s a PS player. 

when you have no picks after round 4, and can only sign 8ish UDFAs how do you walk away with just Javin White, Madre Harper, and a K, whose likely to just be competition to Carlson, plus a bunch total scrubs?

To be 100% honest, given the incredible success of UDFA’s last year on this team and the lack of competition from late round picks (we had none) we should have been the premier destination for UDFAs this year.  I think our incredible failure in signing UDFAs was equal tossing away a 4-5th round pick.  I say this because a 4-5th could be traded down several times and get 3-4 6th and 7ths.  We should have been able to get 3-5 players with 5-7th round grades.

You might be right. But I don't think it'll cost us much in the long run.

6 hours ago, true2form said:

Maybe overreacting a bit? These guys aren't meant to come in and be starters.  You hope that they give you competition and maybe make the PS or even the team.  We aren't as terrible a roster anymore as well, so we don't need these guys to fill out a roster or be starters like in the past.

He does have a point though. While they are certainly not meant to be starters, inevitably there are a couple (at least) UDFAs out there that will become starters/backup level guys. 

Competition is important, and yes, ideally UDFA's are brought in for that. We aren't a terrible roster, but there are certainly positions that we lack overall depth and/or "real competition" at. While not a terrible roster, there's still quite a few guys who could've used more than a warm body behind them for a kick on the rear. 

The problem, as I see it, is that at certain positions (LB) we're hardly settled and are going to wind up keeping guys we would be better off without. And there were quite a few LBs that I would have loved to bring in that honestly probably would have pushed our back end level guys to the limit or replaced them. 

On one hand, I suppose we've gotta grit teeth and trust Mayock and Co. On the other, I'm a bit perplexed as to why some of the guys with a (mostly) clear shot to the 53 aren't being given substantial competition. 

So you're right on the money regarding the role of UDFA's in general, but I too question who we've targeted and whether we're getting that role out of them. It seems like we only add guys to fill out numbers rather than push the guys who need pushing. Particularly at positions we've seemingly ignored for what feels like a decade or more. 

That being said, there's no telling who we wind up bringing in as cuts begin. It does sting a bit, though, knowing there were a few that got away at positions of need that probably had draftable grades. Preseason can't come soon enough, eh boys?

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

You have anything else to talk about? Kinda dead around here lately, and the topic was bumped up the list by someone other than I so I responded.  Clearly it’s “over” and unchangageable nor do I have any power to change it.  

not to mention UDFA guarenteed money was just recently released.  So I find it relevant to discuss.

and I never expected the top UDFAs, I realize there are 32 teams competing for them.  I applauded the good signings and criticized the bad ones.  I never said “oh we should have signed player X, he’d make the team!”.  I did however bring up the relevant issue that these are the guys who make up most of our PS and with the new rules it’s very helpful to have 2 top quality PS players.  

honestly, if we had just signed a top UDFA to the deal Bowers got I’d probably be saying it was a good haul.

I'm sorry, maybe it's just me.  I get frustrated by posters saying the same thing over and over.  Doesn't mean you're wrong and it doesn't mean you can't.