RaidersAreOne

1. WR, Henry Ruggs
  2. CB, Damon Arnette
  3. RB, Lynn Bowden
  4. WR, Bryan Edwards
  5. LB, Taylor Muse
  6. G, John Simpson
  7. CB, Amik Robertson

It appears we are done. Let's use this thread to recap everything relating to the 2020 NFL draft (except for grades). I for one am pleased with the selections we made. We got faster, more physical, more versatility and added intensity. You can tell our two main goals were to get more explosive on O and add some playmakers in our secondary.

Edited by RaidersAreOne
  • Like 2

Overall I am happy with what we have come away with. A few things are clearly evident. Mayock and Gruden have a particular character that they go for and specific traits for positions. What this means (and this will make the draft process painful for a lot of the righteously indignant draft experts we have in here) is that some players will be off their board completely if they don’t have it and other players will be pushed up their boards because of it. 

I also think we’ll have to get used to taking into account all the picks collectively as they seem to have a specific plan of attack each draft. As you said Raidersareone - explosion on offense and playmakers in the secondary. Again, this will mean that value may go out of the window in the pursuit of that end as they will put more stock into getting the players they feel they need to improve an area. It also aligns with what is definitely true of Grudock - they draft for need.

And I have to say - I am in favour of the approach. For too long we have had a scattergun way of operating. Focusing on individual players without the bigger picture and long term view. It’s maybe not as satisfying, particularly for those who are so emotionally involved in the draft, but I for one am glad that we are trying to create an identity and am behind us taking players that fit our system. 

• Like 6

Obviously, cant make final decisions until we know how these guys pan out, but that doesn't mean we can't assess the draft based on expectations. 

In my opinion, not a particularly good draft, but not a crippling one either. Strongly believe we dropped the ball at 12, with either Lamb or Jeudy being preferable. Hopefully Ruggs becomes a Tyreek like gamebreaker. I'd settle for DeSean Jackson. I dont mind Arnette the player, I mind the draft spot. I don't see Bowden/Muse being significant contributors. 

However, its incredibly difficult to watch any footage of Bryan Edwards or Amik Robertson and not come away excited. 

Overall, all the guys we drafted are DOGS. Ruggs fights for the ball and makes contested catches. Arnette is physical and loves to man up. Bowden played every position on offense for the good of the team. Edwards used his frame for big contested grabs against drafted corners like Diggs, Henderson, and even our own Amik. He runs dudes over, too. I don't like Muse, but dude can bring the heat and loves tackling. Simpson is a mauler in the run game. Robertson looks like the honey badger out there, blowing dudes up, and covering guys 6-7 inches taller than him.

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, reddevil said:

Overall I am happy with what we have come away with. A few things are clearly evident. Mayock and Gruden have a particular character that they go for and specific traits for positions. What this means (and this will make the draft process painful for a lot of the righteously indignant draft experts we have in here) is that some players will be off their board completely if they don’t have it and other players will be pushed up their boards because of it. 

I also think we’ll have to get used to taking into account all the picks collectively as they seem to have a specific plan of attack each draft. As you said Raidersareone - explosion on offense and playmakers in the secondary. Again, this will mean that value may go out of the window in the pursuit of that end as they will put more stock into getting the players they feel they need to improve an area. It also aligns with what is definitely true of Grudock - they draft for need.

And I have to say - I am in favour of the approach. For too long we have had a scattergun way of operating. Focusing on individual players without the bigger picture and long term view. It’s maybe not as satisfying, particularly for those who are so emotionally involved in the draft, but I for one am glad that we are trying to create an identity and am behind us taking players that fit our system. 

I get the feeling that people want to win the draft more than they want to win regular games.

Who cares about value it's all about how they fit in with the team. If I have to hear one more time that the raiders should traded back and get better value. I would rather have a player that fits a need and the team chemistry in the 4th round then risk losing him for a extra 6th round pick.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

Overall, all the guys we drafted are DOGS. Ruggs fights for the ball and makes contested catches. Arnette is physical and loves to man up. Bowden played every position on offense for the good of the team. Edwards used his frame for big contested grabs against drafted corners like Diggs, Henderson, and even our own Amik. He runs dudes over, too. I don't like Muse, but dude can bring the heat and loves tackling. Simpson is a mauler in the run game. Robertson looks like the honey badger out there, blowing dudes up, and covering guys 6-7 inches taller than him.

• Like 1

I don't love it, but quite like it.

I'm absolutely fine with Ruggs.

I have a Ferrell like feeling with Arnette. Great guy and all, but was a reach and I have questions about his athletic ability to be an impact high draft pick.

I'm not a fan of the Bowden pick. I would have picked a more traditional RB. I get the upside and the potential, but I see high bust chance too.

I really like the Edwards pick! He can be our X down the line and can be a solid contributor right away IMO.

I don't really get the Muse pick at 100. I see an ST ace, but nothing more.

I really like the Simpson pick, even with the trade up. He could replace Incognito in 2021 IMO and should provide great depth immediately.

I also really like the Amik pick up. He should push Joyner at NCB right from the start IMO.

Overall after the FA period, after this draft I think our coaches are in a must show up mode. They have talent, speed, depth...They need to show that they van really coach. No more excuses.

Gruden can mix and match like few can IMO. He can have legit 3TE, 5WR, 3RB (2HB,1FB), 4WR looks...and he can shift from one to another or 2 with this personel. He brings Carr back for the 3rd season, so it is also on him.

PG has a deep DL with a great DLcoach, he has an improved (by a big margin) LB unit and speed and youth at DB.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, reddevil said:

I get the feeling that people want to win the draft more than they want to win regular games.

Who cares about value it's all about how they fit in with the team. If I have to hear one more time that the raiders should traded back and get better value. I would rather have a player that fits a need and the team chemistry in the 4th round then risk losing him for a extra 6th round pick.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people are confused with these picks. Muse is here to cover TEs and RBs out of the backfield. Bowden is probably not going to lined up much as a traditional RB. He'll run a hybrid wildcat system just to give Jacobs a break and to confuse the defense, just like New Orleans does.

Raiders were smart imo. People don't looks at overall picture, even media "experts". 

Raiders attacked free agency to sure up some holes on defense. They did this knowing this draft was pretty loaded at wr and offense side of ball. I think they had a plan once apple fell through to grab a Wr and cb in round one. No surprise. And after that they wanted to stack up the talent on offense. I think they did a good job of adding some difference makers. Edwards will be Great redzone and 1st down guy. Ruggs and Bowden will open up field and can take it to house at any given time. We haven't had many homerun hitters in while since Cooper left. Now we have a couple. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I don't understand why people are confused with these picks. Muse is here to cover TEs and RBs out of the backfield. Bowden is probably not going to lined up much as a traditional RB. He'll run a hybrid wildcat system just to give Jacobs a break and to confuse the defense, just like New Orleans does.

I'm not sure Muse can cover TE's and RB's. His COD might not be good enough. Littleton will do that anyway...

I can't see Gruden being that modern and aggressive, but I hope you are right

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I'm not sure Muse can cover TE's and RB's. His COD might not be good enough. Littleton will do that anyway...

I see him being used by guenther like Taylor Mays was.  Mays has to change to LB. Maybe Mays was more fluid but still. Muse isn't coming to start day one. In year or two he may be solid in his role.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, reddevil said:

I thought that Mayock and Gruden were very focused on bringing in character guys and that's why the Arnette pick really confused me.  His biggest question mark was his character, immaturity, and coachability and that combined with his testing were the main reasons he was mocked mid/late Day 2.  A lot of teams took him off their boards apparently because he rubbed them the wrong way.

On the other hand, Arnette's playing character (toughness, physicality, love of football) was thought to be very high.  Maybe we care less about off the field character and instead are focusing on football character?  That could explain Antonio Brown as well - great football character but awful off the field.

2 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

I thought that Mayock and Gruden were very focused on bringing in character guys and that's why the Arnette pick really confused me.  His biggest question mark was his character, immaturity, and coachability and that combined with his testing were the main reasons he was mocked mid/late Day 2.  A lot of teams took him off their boards apparently because he rubbed them the wrong way.

On the other hand, Arnette's playing character (toughness, physicality, love of football) was thought to be very high.  Maybe we care less about off the field character and instead are focusing on football character?  That could explain Antonio Brown as well - great football character but awful off the field.

I think he turned it around this year. The story is that he was a bit difficult to manage - arguing with coaches etc. He was going to leave last year and was persuaded to stay, had a kid over the year which matured him and with the coaches help, he changed and became a leader. 

I don’t think he’s a scumbag or diva - he was just a bit immature and needed help to get where he needed to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

I think Gruden is pretty aware of the NFL’s trends and he wants to sample each of their offenses. I think we saw the 1998 offense due to the personnel they had. I think he’s going to want to send wave after wave of offenses to keep the defense off balance. They preached that they’d get playmakers in the draft which they 100% did. 
Now I’m skeptical it’ll all come together but i think that they had a plan in place. 

• Like 1