Recapping the first Las Vegas Raiders Draft

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, I think he also said that rookies in the last couple rounds would have a really tough time making the roster due to the likely affected rookie camps and ore season that we're likely to have which makes sense. It could be really difficult for rookies this year to make an early impact if camps are heavily affected.

Which is why we weren't that aggressive with UDFA either. Those guys usually make a name for themselves in the rookie mini camp and OTA's so the coaches already have their eyes on them going into TC. (I remember hearing Richard/Nixon both looked really impressive during the summer activities before TC) Those guys won't see nearly as many reps in TC this year with a lack of OTA's especially considering we signed 10 FA's who will make the team and have 7 rookies in rounds 1-4 who are locks to make it as well. So roughly 1/3 of our roster is going to be new players who will need the extra work to get acclimated into the system. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

One other thing I like about this draft is that it gives us flexibility after this season. None of Edwards, Simpson, or Robertson will be expected to start this season but they still could if they can beat out veterans for their spot. And ideally they'll flash enough that you feel confident going into 2021 with them as your starters. If you do you can move on from Gabe Jackson, Tyrell Williams, and LaMarcus Joyner which would free up an additional $29.9M in cap space for us. 

Which is even more beautiful when you consider that the only projected starters we have who will be free agents after this year are Jonathan Hankins, Maliek Collins, and Damarious Randall. Plus we don't have any good young players that are going to be due for an extension. 

I read that the salary cap is supposed to go up to like $230M after this season. If we were to cut those 3 guys that I mentioned we'd be heading into next offseason with about $70M in cap space to play with.

To add to this, i think one of Carr and Mariota will be off the payroll.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

It's weird because Vic said on his podcast that he was typing out a tweet about how they had traded the pick to Tampa Bay and then they ran out of time. 

He heard something. Just didn't hear right. Just shot from the hip on that one hoping to take credit and look like he has a lot of sources in the right places. That's what I think.

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

He heard something. Just didn't hear right. Just shot from the hip on that one hoping to take credit and look like he has a lot of sources in the right places. That's what I think.

He hears things but has been inconsistent as of late. That and he's been getting kinda sassy about picks when he can't really evaluate talent.

• Like 1