Recapping the first Las Vegas Raiders Draft

RaidersAreOne

52 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He hears things but has been inconsistent as of late. That and he's been getting kinda sassy about picks when he can't really evaluate talent.

Quickest way to lose credibility. Also shows how all those people who say Gruden is running the show are wrong. Mike Mayock declined the trade, not Gruden. I'm tired of hearing and reading the whole Gruden runs the show bs. Gruden didn't bring in Mayock to be a yes man, he brought him in to challenge him, because Gruden respects the heck Mayock. Seriously, Mayock never would've taken the position just to become a yes man. Tired of seeing that from casual fans on social media.

• Like 2

I like the draft in terms of getting players fitting the mould of what we want the team to be however there are some question marks for me.  

Ruggs should be an interesting tool to use but I can’t help feeling we may live to regret not picking up Lamb or Jeudy especially as we could have had a trade down and still picked either. 

Arnette will be expected to start and looks to be tough competitive player but just feel Mayock could have worked a trade and picked him up later much like Ferrell last year. A worrying trend.

Edwards looks a good pick and hopefully a long term cheaper replacement for Williams. Bowden looks like a luxury pick, not sure if he will be a RB as suggested. As @Rolnisays he looks boom or bust pick.

The Muse pick is the one I don’t like, seems a huge project at LB as he looked stiff at safety so asking him to put on weight is a worry.

i like Simpson thought he was a good fit, hopefully he can be a guard for us for a while. Robertson I can see why everyone likes him but I have my concerns over a 5’8 corner. Hopefully he can be a long term replacement for Joyner though. 

As  @Bitty 2.0rightly says it isn’t about winning the draft but about winning games. I like that we have an offense that should give teams headaches. Defensively we are going to need Arnette to play well off the bat and for Mullen, Crosby and Ferrell to continue to progress. Hopefully they can cope with the pressure, 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jerry said:

Quickest way to lose credibility. Also shows how all those people who say Gruden is running the show are wrong. Mike Mayock declined the trade, not Gruden. I'm tired of hearing and reading the whole Gruden runs the show bs. Gruden didn't bring in Mayock to be a yes man, he brought him in to challenge him, because Gruden respects the heck Mayock. Seriously, Mayock never would've taken the position just to become a yes man. Tired of seeing that from casual fans on social media.

People just like to blame Gruden. If they don't like a pick, its dammit Gruden is meddling, if its a good pick good job Mayock...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

I like the draft in terms of getting players fitting the mould of what we want the team to be however there are some question marks for me.  

Ruggs should be an interesting tool to use but I can’t help feeling we may live to regret not picking up Lamb or Jeudy especially as we could have had a trade down and still picked either. 

Arnette will be expected to start and looks to be tough competitive player but just feel Mayock could have worked a trade and picked him up later much like Ferrell last year. A worrying trend.

Edwards looks a good pick and hopefully a long term cheaper replacement for Williams. Bowden looks like a luxury pick, not sure if he will be a RB as suggested. As @Rolnisays he looks boom or bust pick.

The Muse pick is the one I don’t like, seems a huge project at LB as he looked stiff at safety so asking him to put on weight is a worry.

i like Simpson thought he was a good fit, hopefully he can be a guard for us for a while. Robertson I can see why everyone likes him but I have my concerns over a 5’8 corner. Hopefully he can be a long term replacement for Joyner though. 

As  @Bitty 2.0rightly says it isn’t about winning the draft but about winning games. I like that we have an offense that should give teams headaches. Defensively we are going to need Arnette to play well off the bat and for Mullen, Crosby and Ferrell to continue to progress. Hopefully they can cope with the pressure, 

I trust arnette from day 1 to start. A lot of my favorite analysts had him as a top 5 corner in this class. I don't go off of general media rankings. I also had Edwards ranked higher than Michael Pittman (way way way overdrafted). I was also banging the table for Amik Robertson.

The ruggs pick purely is a reflection of the coaching staff and their desire to add him to the offense. If they know how to use him, his upside is through the roof. If not, it was a bad pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I trust Mayock. If he was ok with these picks, then I'm ok with the picks.

this was everyone before the draft, but a few guys flipped before the 1st round was over lol 

they'll be back...

Edited by Geezy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

this was everyone before the draft, but a few guys flipped before the 1st round was over lol 

they'll be back...

I trust Mayock after the first so far.  I like all of the players he has drafted in the first but I do not think he has received value yet.  Whether the player is a bust or has a Hall of Fame career he has over-drafted players in the 1st.  That is my only issue.  He could have had Ruggs at 14 and at minimum CeeDee or Juedy.  All 3 would be worth the 14th selection and upgraded our offense.  Arnette was one of my favorite prospects but he would have been a reach in the late 2nd.  He fit our scheme but chances are low that he is drafted in the first by another team.  I think all 5 players will have good careers with the team but we could have had better players or more draft picks.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I'm not a huge fan of the pick but i really don't understand how we know that.

Because he has 30” arms and ran 4.56. Not to mention only one great season. Those measurables for a CB never go in the 1st as they almost always end up as a NCB. 

I find it really, really hard to believe he goes before 40 and saying “we don’t know that” is letting Mayock off the hook too easily imo. He needs to look at consensus to ensure value. Doesn’t mean he has to take those players, but maneuver around to get his guy.

21+ spot reach for any Non-QB is too much (although going 40+ is speculation on my part). 

Edited by BayRaider

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Because he has 30” arms and ran 4.56. Not to mention only one great season. Those measurables for a CB never go in the 1st as they almost always end up as a NCB. 

I find it really, really hard to believe he goes before 40 and saying “we don’t know that” is letting Mayock off the hook too easily imo. He needs to look at consensus to ensure value. Doesn’t mean he has to take those players, but maneuver around to get his guy.

Mayock isn't off the hook because what matters is how Arnette plays. I'll be the first to bash him if Arnette sucks. But i can't take for granted "consensus" media boards available to us to pretend i know where Arnette would have been drafted. Those boards are far from exact science.

Just now, oakdb36 said:

Mayock isn't off the hook because what matters is how Arnette plays. I'll be the first to bash him if Arnette sucks. But i can't take for granted "consensus" media boards available to us to pretend i know where Arnette would have been drafted. Those boards are far from exact science.

The same argument could be made for DHB/Al Davis as well though. DHB was consensus around #30 and went #9. Al was criticized to no-end for the reach. Arnette was averaged out to around 45-50 if take majority boards, and he went 19. 

From your approach, basically nothing ever can be a reach, because we don’t know where he would of went. You have a point absolutely, but it’s also fair to note that it “probably” was a massive reach where he didn’t maximize his value.

I’m still on the Mayock bandwaggon and like Arnette. I praise Mayock more than anyone, and I’ll never fault Mayock unless the draft picks don’t pan out. However, I think it is really fair to say that he’s coming no where close to maximizing his value. 

• Like 1

On 26/04/2020 at 11:55 AM, Rolni said:

Overall after the FA period, after this draft I think our coaches are in a must show up mode. They have talent, speed, depth...They need to show that they van really coach. No more excuses.

Gruden can mix and match like few can IMO. He can have legit 3TE, 5WR, 3RB (2HB,1FB), 4WR looks...and he can shift from one to another or 2 with this personel. He brings Carr back for the 3rd season, so it is also on him.

PG has a deep DL with a great DLcoach, he has an improved (by a big margin) LB unit and speed and youth at DB.

This is a great point, we have had the excuses of lack of talent, fit and so on for the last couple years but we can't fall back on that now. 

Gruden and Olsen have a 1st round RB, 1st and 3rd round receivers, high priced FA receiver, Swiss army knife player, great OL and depth and a QB who we know can play at a Pro Bowl level.

Paul Guenther has a 1st round DE, a rookie of the year candidate DE, a 2nd round DT, two big ticket FA linebackers, a 1st round and a 2nd round CB plus a big FA slot CB, a 1st round safety and they all fit our system. 

If they can't make chicken soup out of chicken then they should be on a hot seat. The coaches were hand picked and ultimately Gruden has to be accoubtable and deliver the goods. We should be expecting playoffs with the resources we've invested IMO.    

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

This is a great point, we have had the excuses of kack of talent, fit and so on for the last couple years but we can't fall back on that now. 

Gruden and Olsen have a 1st round RB, 1st and 3rd round receivers, high priced FA receiver, Swiss army knife player, great OL and depth and a QB who we know can play at a Pro Bowl level.

Paul Guenther has a 1st round DE, a rookie of the tear candidate DE, a 2nd round DT, two big ticket FA linebackers, a 1st round and a 2nd round CB plus a big FA slot CB, a 1st round safety and they all fit our system. 

If they can't make chicken soup out of chicken then they should be on a hot seat. The coaches were hand picked and ultimately Gruden has to be accoubtable and deliver the goods. We should be expecting playoffs with the resources we've invested IMO.    

True!

I would add that to me it is not about the PO. I mean we have to get there, but I also want to really see that they COACH. I want to see them overcoaching the opposition with this roster now. I want to hear them commentators and online professors to rave about their play desings and gameplan.

• Like 1