Recapping the first Las Vegas Raiders Draft

RaidersAreOne

37 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Those were some really good teams.  Both years Eli won the SB, he had defenses that could create insane amounts of pressure.  ICO NE, they have Belichik, the guy is a master at scheming to win.  Phili, like I said before, had a stacked team.

That's what I'm saying a team is not the sum of it's parts its more. Drafting the right player for your team does not mean the highest ranked player available.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

That's what I'm saying a team is not the sum of it's parts its more. Drafting the right player for your team does not mean the highest ranked player available.

Exactly, just look at the Pats.  When they "reach" on players and yes they do, the talking head TV stooges never really question the pick too much like they have done in the past with teams like us.  The Pats have earned that respect and their drafting philosophy is obviously superior to the talking head TV stooges, hence the 6 rings.  They haven't really drafted many studs early in drafts over the last few years but whatever they have been doing works.

Unfortunately we have not yet earned that respect but I have noticed it has gotten better since we landed Mayock.  The Arnette pick has been bashed pretty hard but the the best way to shut the stooges up....  Go out there and ball, which I hope Arnette can do! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Exactly, just look at the Pats.  When they "reach" on players and yes they do, the talking head TV stooges never really question the pick too much like they have done in the past with teams like us.  The Pats have earned that respect and their drafting philosophy is obviously superior to the talking head TV stooges, hence the 6 rings.  They haven't really drafted many studs early in drafts over the last few years but whatever they have been doing works.

Unfortunately we have not yet earned that respect but I have noticed it has gotten better since we landed Mayock.  The Arnette pick has been bashed pretty hard but the the best way to shut the stooges up....  Go out there and ball, which I hope Arnette can do! 

The Pats do not need to draft top rated players.  BB drafts players that fit his system and are willing to do their job.  If everyone buys in it works.  That is why BB will cut some players very quickly.  You disrupt his locker room you are gone.  Having one of the greatest if not the greatest QBs of all time helps also.  You put a prime Brady and BB on this team and we would when the SB 4-6 times in the next decade.  The one thing BB would change tomorrow is he would get a dominate DT.

On 23/06/2020 at 11:07 AM, Bitty 2.0 said:

Isaiah Simmons Is the tricky one because he will never be a top ten LB,DE or SS  but he should be above average at those spots so is having a  jack-of-all-trades worth the pick. I didn't really know.

It all comes down to how he is going to be used I guess. TBH I was never really high on him, good football player but from my point of view he seems versatile at two of the less important positions so although he could be a very good coverage LB/Safety hybrid I still dont think that's as valuable as a man cover corner, pass rusher or interior penetrator. Its going to be interesting to see how he is used compared to Muse. I can see Muse as a more orthodox linebacker with plus coverage skills.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

The Pats do not need to draft top rated players.  BB drafts players that fit his system and are willing to do their job.  If everyone buys in it works.  That is why BB will cut some players very quickly.  You disrupt his locker room you are gone.  Having one of the greatest if not the greatest QBs of all time helps also.  You put a prime Brady and BB on this team and we would when the SB 4-6 times in the next decade.  The one thing BB would change tomorrow is he would get a dominate DT.

I am fascinated to see how BB and Brady do this season.  As I think BB is a football genius and Brady is one of the greatest of all time.  They were great together but I have always said if Brady was drafted by the Browns, he would not be the player that we know.

BB on the other hand would have had success without Brady.  I don't know about the 6 SB's but his system can make bums like Matt Cassel look like good players.  I am truly fascinated to see how the Pats do this year.  Brady didn't do much last season and the Pats were a playoff team so Stidham does have a chance to be successful.  

Let's say that Stidham starts out the season poorly and the Pats look terrible.  I could see BB rolling with him all season in an attempt to land the 1st pick and draft TL.  That would be a bold move but BB having TL as his QB for the next 15 years would certainly be worth 1 terrible season.  Just some food for thought and we all know that BB has a massive ego so who knows if he can handle 1 horrible year. 

• Like 1

BB drafts for need but also role players who are versatile. Bowden and Muse fit that narrative. Ruggs and Arnette were needs and 1st rounders are usually starters but adding Prince means that will have to be earned. Edwards was a position of need but really just too much value to pass up. Amik the same and could have been said at our 91 pick and I would have been good with that. To trade down and still get him was a steal IMO. So double dipped needs and added some role players with upside really is a good Draft. Arnette at the time had a bad taste due to thinking of quitting on team, slow 40 and projected slot CB but since then more info has made me feel better about the pick. I liked other CB’s better but that’s because I’m a couch GM. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

I really agree with that tweet.  Blindside blocks are nice highlights but the reality is their not a common block.  
Good Blocking from WRs can be incredibly important to a running game and having WRs who can make effective blocks (don’t have to be kill shots just “effective”) the majority of the time (like in that clip) is a massive added value.  
Think about it like this:  WRs are blocking for runs at worst 40% of the snaps and running routes 60% of the time.
Even a high target WR like D.Hopkins played 971 of 1066 total offensive snaps (91%) last year and saw 150 targets... roughly 15-16% of his snaps where he was targeted.  Assuming a low 40% rushing rate that would mean 390ish snaps he was in the game for.  

Having a WR that can effectively block can turn 6 yard gains into long TDs.  it also allows for creative blocking schemes.  

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 5:09 PM, Humble_Beast said:

When can we sign free agents again? Be nice to bring back Dion Jordan, a vet LB, and S for competition purposes 

Thank you I’ve been preaching this for too long.  Toss in competition for Parker and a real RB2 who can carry the ball 100x+ a year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2020-06-24 at 11:24 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

The sample size so far is still small enough that detractors can say Mullen and Crosby were flukey picks. But if Arnette pans out this year? I don't think anyone's gonna doubt Mayock again. As long as the success doesn't get to his head.

• Like 1