7.242 - Jonathan Garvin [EDGE; Miami (FL)]

CWood21

Am I wrong to suggest Garvin should be using a swim or hump in some of those situations instead of what that guy is suggesting ? OT's turning open allow them to ride you passed or flat out push you down. His suggestion plays into the OT's strong suit IMO

Edited by cannondale

9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Am I wrong to suggest Garvin should be using a swim or hump in some of those situations instead of what that guy is suggesting ? OT's turning open allow them to ride you passed or flat out push you down. His suggestion plays into the OT's strong suit IMO

Maybe.  But he is also a 263 pound guy probably giving up 40 or so pounds.  He may not be strong enough to do that. 

9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Other people are more knowledgeable but what he’s talking about is the fastest way from point A to B, I believe.

Feel like this guy could have been a first round consideration in 2021 if he put it all together as a senior in Miami. Has all the tools, see him as the best potential value pick in our draft. Think he has long-term starter potential as a 20yr old ( @Outpost31 ) with elite measurables and some pretty smooth looking reps on "film". If the Smiths rub off on him, I really really really like this pick.

Or he could not grow at all and miss the squad. Hopefully brings the right attitude to camp.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cannondale said:

I'd agree in general, but it's tough to say just from the reps in the video. If the OT is opening that early, it's likely because he's seeing Garvin sell out on the speed rush; not a lot of humans can stop and hit the inside move at 265 after really selling the upfiels rush unless they really drill the technique, which is his weak point. But I'd agree just from the slo mo the tackles are set up to really hit the hump and rip back in.

Of all the EDGE prospects in the draft he is one of the youngest at just 21 years old.

Pettine likes his OLB to be tall, long and heavy so if I filtered the list of EDGE prospects you will get just 15 players who fitted Pettine's critera for the entire draft. Only 10 of the 15 players were drafted. Not a lot for us to choose from.

Within the first three rounds the players who fitted the criteria were Chase Young, Epenesa, Gross-Matos and Lewis. Wonnum was taken in round 4 and Strowbridge in round 5. Based on where our draft picks were positioned we had no shot at any of them. Maybe Gross-Matos was an option had we stayed at 30 otherwise missing out on them wasn't such a big deal as we made 2 major FA signings and drafted one with our 1st round pick last year.

So in the 7th round for us to get an OLB who's height, weight and arm length compared favorably with these top players and just so happens to be the youngest of the lot is not bad going at all. Pettine will have ball of clay to mold in his image.

It's quite interesting that to see that Young and Garvin were almost 6 months younger than the next prospect down the filtered list and these two couldn't have been on more opposite ends of the the draft.

Edited by Chili

17 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Feel like this guy could have been a first round consideration in 2021 if he put it all together as a senior in Miami. Has all the tools, see him as the best potential value pick in our draft. Think he has long-term starter potential as a 20yr old ( @Outpost31 ) with elite measurables and some pretty smooth looking reps on "film". If the Smiths rub off on him, I really really really like this pick.

Or he could not grow at all and miss the squad. Hopefully brings the right attitude to camp.

The "inconsistent effort" stuff won't work around Z and Mike Smith. Garvin will either buy in and work his *** off, or he won't last long. Has all the tools with those long arms. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The "inconsistent effort" stuff won't work around Z and Mike Smith. Garvin will either buy in and work his *** off, or he won't last long. Has all the tools with those long arms. 

Longggg arms. Dudes got a frame in him for sure. He came out of HS at 6-3 222. He’s now 6-4 263lbs and with room to add 10-15lbs. Love an edge guy with a frame like this. High ceiling. Nice greasy hips too. I’ll need to watch some more tape to watch the ankle flexibility. 

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I know there are some consistency issues with his motor, but in a crappy EDGE class to begin with, still cannot believe we got Garvin in the 7th round. Would have been happy getting him in the 5th and even okay reaching for him in the 4th. 

I thought this was the Packers best value pick by far.  He's going to to have Z showing him how it's done.  Garvin is coming into a good situation.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Little surprised he was still on the board as well. Think he could be Fack's replacement and NOT Timmy Williams...

I keep forgetting that Tim Williams is on this roster.  Mostly because he’s completely forgettable and won’t do a damn thing. Much like Garvin.

• Like 1