7.242 - Jonathan Garvin [EDGE; Miami (FL)]

CWood21

I think he is too big to replace Fack's role . Fack did alot of dropping back into coverage.

If we keep 5 OLB in the roster cutdown maybe the 5th one could be a skinnier, more mobile type to take up some of Fackrell's snaps- maybe Randy Ramsey?

Gary probably could do it considering his athleticism but I think he would be much better off going downhill and doing what he does best.

Anyway I've just watched his highlight video and however limited it was he showed enough nice traits for Pettine to work with. I completely see why we drafted him. I'm very surprised he declared for the draft despite his limited college production. He must've known he wasn't going to be drafted until day 3. He could've tried to boost his draft stock by staying in college another year.

To be fair I suspect the reason he chose to declare for the draft was because during the season I think he lost his place to the emerging DE Gregory Rousseau. Seeing the writing on the wall he chose to declare early. Had he stayed another year he may have found himself himself stuck behind him and with one year wasted on the bench meant one year less of potential NFL earnings. I'm not completely sure of the NCAA rules but my understanding is if he transferred to a different college he would have to redshirt for a year before he can play. By the time he declares for the draft he would've been 23 years old. 

What would you do if you were him?

1. Enter the draft age 21, get drafted in the 7th round, sign a $2.5m contract with $80k guaranteed. In 4 years he would hit FA and if he does well he could hit payday at age 25. Being young means he could potentially see two big FA contracts in his career if everything goes right for him.

2. Stay and fight for his spot but risk injury and being stuck on the bench all season. Enter the draft age 22 and likely go undrafted. If he's lucky to land on a team - Sign a 3 year $1.5m contract with $70k guaranteed.  Hit free agency age 25. This scenario also give him a shot at two big FA contracts if everything goes right,

3. Transfer colleges, have a redshirt year and play one year to play as best as he can to improve draft stock. Enter the draft age 23. Might get picked in 4th or 5th round meaning he could land a four year $2-3m contract with approx $700k guaranteed.  Hit free agency age 27. This might be the only big FA contract he will get.

However with this third option if he has a "Burrow-like" year he's looking at signing a 5 year $30m contract with $20m guaranteed. That scenario is rare and alot of things need to go right for this to happen. Right college, right coaches, right system, right attitude, right advice, avoid injury. Hit free agency at age 28, or 29 if he's franchise tagged.

The fact he lost his spot indicated that the best case scenario was highly unlikely to happen. I think he did the best thing for himself by declaring for the draft early. He will get to go through a high level NFL coaching regimen and will get to learn from the very best players in the NFL. He might as well get started now and give himself the chance of landing two big FA contracts.

I stumbled on some good photos of him before he went to Miami. His afro game is on point! he should definitely bring that back.

-zuYxoZ385Q7Ni7J-QiQsnLYhoL9Y8MIDPwIAzEU

Edited by Chili

4 hours ago, Chili said:

I think he is too big to replace Fack's role . Fack did alot of dropping back into coverage.

If we keep 5 OLB in the roster cutdown maybe the 5th one could be a skinnier, more mobile type to take up some of Fackrell's snaps- maybe Randy Ramsey?

Nope. Ramsey's a project and Kamal Martin may push him off the roster though Ramsey's the more explosive blitzer.

Apologies for the large pictures, that was unavoidable. I have put them in quotes so that you can minimise the quote box. It's just so humourous and it forces you to ask the question......why? xD 

082516-hs-football-super-11-garvin-2.jpg

082516-super-11-jonathan-garvin.jpg

• Like 2