Total Take

Starchisaga

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Every player in the NFL knows there's eventually going to be someone younger and cheaper coming for their job.  This is generally motivating to veterans rather than discouraging.

After all, if you're the sort of person who folds when you're competing for something you'll probably be weeded out of football well before D1 college football, let alone the NFL.

everyone in other jobs too

There are good organizations where people feel empowered to succeed.  There are organizations where the work force feels like it isn't supported.  Which type of organization do you want to be?

Those that ignore the importance of issues like this tend to do poorly.   We have not been one of these in the past.   We may have become that type now.  If contracts are given real soon to players like Bakhtiari, Clark, King do you think they aren't going to consider recent moves?  Do you think they will have a problem getting another contract somewhere?

2 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

There are good organizations where people feel empowered to succeed.  There are organizations where the work force feels like it isn't supported.  Which type of organization do you want to be?

Those that ignore the importance of issues like this tend to do poorly.   We have not been one of these in the past.   We may have become that type now.  If contracts are given real soon to players like Bakhtiari, Clark, King do you think they aren't going to consider recent moves?  Do you think they will have a problem getting another contract somewhere?

How is Rodgers not supported? They stuck by him during the Favre stuff. They have drafted countless day two guys for him. They fired McCarthy for him. They got  defensive super stars for him.

So the organization sees the end coming with Rodgers and they want to make sure the team is successful after and all of a sudden GB doesn’t support its players?

There aren’t any secrets, GB rarely hands out 3rd contracts. I’m sure players know that. They will take care of Clark and King because they didn’t draft their clear replacements. Linsley and Jones need to be ready not to come back. Bak will be a rare one to get a 3rd contract.

Rodgers has 4 years to win a Super Bowl with GB. After that the organization doesn’t want to do what New Orleans or others are where they bet on a 40+ guy and pray he doesn’t break down.

10 minutes ago, cannondale said:

In case you care

Should we? Like does anyone know like 7/8 of those names? PFF and Kiper are the only standouts. Any old GM that built super bowl dynasties in there?

Edited by Green19

Firdt off, I never said Rodgers wasn't supported.

Now think about if you are in that locker room.   Have the Packers spent resources on offense during his career like they have on defense?   Some may choose to see it that way.  

They also may see that they were a team that was 13-3 with an offense that struggled at times to score.   Did they get help to make the offense any better this next year?   They struggled to stop good running teams. Did they get any help there?

Your answer has a lot of definites in it.   How are they sure?    Bakhtiari was pushing all last year for the team to retain Bulaga, yet he was dumped.   You and I may agree entirely with that move,  but I doubt Bakhtiari does.   Why would he not think that he will be handled the same way?    He really doesn't fit a pounding run style offense.  He is about the best pass protecting OT in the game, but he isn't a masher.   He looks at the investment in this draft and could have doubts.  He should have doubts.

19 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

How does this draft look to the players in that locker room?     I would think they would see the draft as a place where the weak spots on a team can be added to so they are given a better chance to compete the next year.

What this draft would tell me is that the leadership saw this as an opportunity to try and find cheaper alternatives for some of the best performers on the team rather than fill weakness'.

Why would a Kenny Clark play through an injury?   He sees that A Jones had a breakout year, and rather than think about paying a player who outplayed his contract they are replacing him.  Why risk injury and getting hurt in his contract year?

Bakhtiari sees that Bulaga had an excellent year and was rewarded with not even being offered a contract to stay.   Do I play with the back issue, or should I sit the week and ensure I don't get hurt, or put some bad tape out there.  Linsley has played since a rookie far outperforming his contract.  Rather than seeing that get corrected the OL see the team just move on.  How motivating.

The players know the areas of weakness as well as anyone.  when they see the draft used to replace people that might be expecting a pay increase rather than filling areas requiring improvement it has to effect the locker room.

I could continue on, but how can the players on a team coming off a 13-3 season feel good about the draft that just took place.  they see the competition filling holes on their team and drafting people that help them go to the next level..   They see the Packers drafting for contract minimization and for years down the road.

We picked a few nice players at low impact positions.  There were immediate needs for OT and DL.  We didn't do a thing to help them.  The backslide starts now unfortunately.   I hope to be completely wrong with all of this.

Immediate grades are a joke, but if one has to be given, a grade of D is probably the kindest one can be to Gute/MLF.   

But this isn't Clarks contract year, they exercised his 5th year option. They're going to pay that man. Also I highly doubt we won't give Bakh one more contract, he's been heatlhy throughout his career, this is a little different than Bulagas case. I just think it's silly you think these guys are going to be so offended by this draft class that they wouldn't want to play through a playable injury to try to win football games for the team. You only think they would be because you don't like the picks that were made. These are professionals, they're not overreacting fans that crown them horrible picks before they hit a NFL football field. They're going to let this thing play out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Firdt off, I never said Rodgers wasn't supported.

Now think about if you are in that locker room.   Have the Packers spent resources on offense during his career like they have on defense?   Some may choose to see it that way.  

They also may see that they were a team that was 13-3 with an offense that struggled at times to score.   Did they get help to make the offense any better this next year?   They struggled to stop good running teams. Did they get any help there?

Your answer has a lot of definites in it.   How are they sure?    Bakhtiari was pushing all last year for the team to retain Bulaga, yet he was dumped.   You and I may agree entirely with that move,  but I doubt Bakhtiari does.   Why would he not think that he will be handled the same way?    He really doesn't fit a pounding run style offense.  He is about the best pass protecting OT in the game, but he isn't a masher.   He looks at the investment in this draft and could have doubts.  He should have doubts.

So spending money on Nelson, Adams, Bulaga, Bak, Cobb, Jones, Graham, etc isn’t supporting your QB? Historically the money has been on the offense since Rodgers took over. They have tried to build defense in the draft.

Tom Brady has more of a case to be upset over offensive talent.

The fact is they tried the Indy with Peyton way... just out score everyone. It never worked, until they had a top defense.

They drafted a RB high and brought in Funchess and Wagner. They showed the offense look we got vets for you. Rodgers a rookie won’t be blocking at T and here is a guy that has had success in the league.

They cut Nelson and Cobb and Woodson... guys Rodgers LOVED. Has he quiet on them yet? People need to calm down. They drafted a heir apparent... they didn’t give Rodgers a giant middle finger.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 2

Just now, Green19 said:

So spending money on Nelson, Adams, Bulaga, Bak, Cobb, Jones, Graham, etc isn’t supporting your QB? Historically the money has been on the offense since Rodgers took over. They have tried to build defense in the draft.

Tom Brady has more of a case to be upset over offensive talent.

The fact is they tried the Indy with Peyton way... just put score everyone. It never worked, until they had a top defense.

They drafted a RB high and brought in Funchess and Wagner. They showed the offense look we got vets for you. Rodgers a rookie won’t be blocking at T and here is a guy that has had success in the league.

They cut Nelson and Cobb and Woodson... guys Rodgers LOVED. Has he quiet on them yet? People need to calm down. They drafted a heir apparent... they didn’t give Rodgers a giant middle finger.

You keep throwing these strawmen out.  

Again, it wasn't me who sad Rodgers has been unsupported. 

I will say the current players weren't supported in being better next year.  

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

How does this draft look to the players in that locker room?     I would think they would see the draft as a place where the weak spots on a team can be added to so they are given a better chance to compete the next year.

What this draft would tell me is that the leadership saw this as an opportunity to try and find cheaper alternatives for some of the best performers on the team rather than fill weakness'.

Why would a Kenny Clark play through an injury?   He sees that A Jones had a breakout year, and rather than think about paying a player who outplayed his contract they are replacing him.  Why risk injury and getting hurt in his contract year?

Bakhtiari sees that Bulaga had an excellent year and was rewarded with not even being offered a contract to stay.   Do I play with the back issue, or should I sit the week and ensure I don't get hurt, or put some bad tape out there.  Linsley has played since a rookie far outperforming his contract.  Rather than seeing that get corrected the OL see the team just move on.  How motivating.

The players know the areas of weakness as well as anyone.  when they see the draft used to replace people that might be expecting a pay increase rather than filling areas requiring improvement it has to effect the locker room.

I could continue on, but how can the players on a team coming off a 13-3 season feel good about the draft that just took place.  they see the competition filling holes on their team and drafting people that help them go to the next level..   They see the Packers drafting for contract minimization and for years down the road.

We picked a few nice players at low impact positions.  There were immediate needs for OT and DL.  We didn't do a thing to help them.  The backslide starts now unfortunately.   I hope to be completely wrong with all of this.

Immediate grades are a joke, but if one has to be given, a grade of D is probably the kindest one can be to Gute/MLF.   

This draft tells everyone everything they already know.

Nobody thinks that Aaron Jones is going to get another contract. Jones has to ball out this year to get the big offer from another team/franchise tag for one big payday. 

Kenny Clark and the Packers are already talking about his next deal. Comments have been made public about it. Kenny Clark should have no reason to even consider dogging it right now.

Bakhtiari is also heading into a contract year. If he plays well he will likely be in line for the biggest OL contract in the history of the NFL. He has every reason to be super motivated to ball out. 

Corey Linsley has every reason to play his *** off so he can get a big contract from another team. 

+++

By the time camp starts, this entire draft will be long forgotten and it will be about getting into the advanced part of the LaFleur playbook. 

You also assume that guys like Bakhtiari think that our current WRs are ******* trash with no hope of getting better. It's distinctly possible they view the group as a young and talented collection of unproven guys, just like our GM does. 

Yes, It's absolutely frustrating that we didn't make the decision to go all in this year. I get that. We all do. But the refusal to  go all in isn't going to tank the performance of very talented veterans who have been in the league 6+ years. 

• Like 4

You may be right.  I hope so.   

I've seen a lot of organizations come apart.  To dismiss it as impossible is naïve.  This draft could send many messages to a number of people.  I'm not suggesting top players are going to stop performing well.   

BTW, My problem with this draft isn't about WR.   People keep responding like I have suggested this.