Total Take

Starchisaga

2 hours ago, hitnhope said:

How does this draft look to the players in that locker room?     I would think they would see the draft as a place where the weak spots on a team can be added to so they are given a better chance to compete the next year.

What this draft would tell me is that the leadership saw this as an opportunity to try and find cheaper alternatives for some of the best performers on the team rather than fill weakness'.

Why would a Kenny Clark play through an injury?   He sees that A Jones had a breakout year, and rather than think about paying a player who outplayed his contract they are replacing him.  Why risk injury and getting hurt in his contract year?

Bakhtiari sees that Bulaga had an excellent year and was rewarded with not even being offered a contract to stay.   Do I play with the back issue, or should I sit the week and ensure I don't get hurt, or put some bad tape out there.  Linsley has played since a rookie far outperforming his contract.  Rather than seeing that get corrected the OL see the team just move on.  How motivating.

The players know the areas of weakness as well as anyone.  when they see the draft used to replace people that might be expecting a pay increase rather than filling areas requiring improvement it has to effect the locker room.

I could continue on, but how can the players on a team coming off a 13-3 season feel good about the draft that just took place.  they see the competition filling holes on their team and drafting people that help them go to the next level..   They see the Packers drafting for contract minimization and for years down the road.

We picked a few nice players at low impact positions.  There were immediate needs for OT and DL.  We didn't do a thing to help them.  The backslide starts now unfortunately.   I hope to be completely wrong with all of this.

Immediate grades are a joke, but if one has to be given, a grade of D is probably the kindest one can be to Gute/MLF.   

The players are either

1.  Playing to their best to win games as competitive athletes

Or

2. Playing to their best to secure their next contract regardless of who might be writing that check

If they don't recognize the inevitable cycle of replacement with younger players, they are naive to the NFL lifecycle

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

You may be right.  I hope so.   

I've seen a lot of organizations come apart.  To dismiss it as impossible is naïve.  This draft could send many messages to a number of people.  I'm not suggesting top players are going to stop performing well.   

BTW, My problem with this draft isn't about WR.   People keep responding like I have suggested this.  

What organizations? What organizations have drafted a QB in the first round with a HOF only for the players to be like screw them they aren’t going for it we aren’t going to try.

Im curious...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

What organizations? What organizations have drafted a QB in the first round with a HOF only for the players to be like screw them they aren’t going for it we aren’t going to try.

Im curious...

Yah agree Green it's a ridiculous notion.  

2 hours ago, hitnhope said:

You may be right.  I hope so.   

I've seen a lot of organizations come apart.  To dismiss it as impossible is naïve.  This draft could send many messages to a number of people.  I'm not suggesting top players are going to stop performing well.   

BTW, My problem with this draft isn't about WR.   People keep responding like I have suggested this.  

If it's not WR, what's your problem with it then?

There are two DL that are likely to contribute in a significant fashion in year 1, and the second guy got picked 14th overall. 

38 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Im curious...

I'm curious as well.

What organization with a sure-fire future HOF QB already on the roster ... has ever used a 1st round pick on another QB ... when the team's future HOF QB has declared he intends to play for at least 4 more seasons ... and the organization just signed the future HOF QB to a new contract less than 2 years earlier ... and that contract has 4 years left to run?

Is the Packers taking a QB in round 1 with Rodgers under contract for 4 more years unprecedented?

And, if it is unprecedented, how can anyone know how the Packers players really view this move?

14 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I'm curious as well.

What organization with a sure-fire future HOF QB already on the roster ... has ever used a 1st round pick on another QB ... when the team's future HOF QB has declared he intends to play for at least 4 more seasons ... and the organization just signed the future HOF QB to a new contract less than 2 years earlier ... and that contract has 4 years left to run?

Is the Packers taking a QB in round 1 with Rodgers under contract for 4 more years unprecedented?

And, if it is unprecedented, how can anyone know how the Packers players really view this move?

Fact is this is why people should be happy they cheer for the packers. Granted I get... win now.

But GB and Gute have created a situation where they get 4 years to get Love ready. And if 2 years in they need to hedge their bets and get another guy in a later round they can.

They don’t want to be in QB hell. Plus what if they have a SB team but Rodgers gets hurt in the 4 years we have him? Now you ideally have a guy that can keep the ship afloat until Rodgers gets back.

Fact is Rodgers is making a TON of money he needs to do more with less. That’s the point on why he gets that contract. It’s why they are stopping getting him weapons and putting money on the defense. Because Rodgers doesn’t play defense. He should take udfa and make them respectable WRs. Brady has been doing that for years... Rodgers can too.

Edited by Green19

How does this draft look to the players in that locker room?     I would think they would see the draft as a place where the weak spots on a team can be added to so they are given a better chance to compete the next year.

What this draft would tell me is that the leadership saw this as an opportunity to try and find cheaper alternatives for some of the best performers on the team rather than fill weakness'.

Why would a Kenny Clark play through an injury?   He sees that A Jones had a breakout year, and rather than think about paying a player who outplayed his contract they are replacing him.  Why risk injury and getting hurt in his contract year?

Bakhtiari sees that Bulaga had an excellent year and was rewarded with not even being offered a contract to stay.   Do I play with the back issue, or should I sit the week and ensure I don't get hurt, or put some bad tape out there.  Linsley has played since a rookie far outperforming his contract.  Rather than seeing that get corrected the OL see the team just move on.  How motivating.

The players know the areas of weakness as well as anyone.  when they see the draft used to replace people that might be expecting a pay increase rather than filling areas requiring improvement it has to effect the locker room.

I could continue on, but how can the players on a team coming off a 13-3 season feel good about the draft that just took place.  they see the competition filling holes on their team and drafting people that help them go to the next level..   They see the Packers drafting for contract minimization and for years down the road.

We picked a few nice players at low impact positions.  There were immediate needs for OT and DL.  We didn't do a thing to help them.  The backslide starts now unfortunately.   I hope to be completely wrong with all of this.

Immediate grades are a joke, but if one has to be given, a grade of D is probably the kindest one can be to Gute/MLF.  

Had we drafted a DL and OT you'd be using these same mental gymnastics to say trash like "How do you think Kenny Clark and David Bakhtiari feel seeing GB draft their replacements in their contract year??" lol

Also had to lol @ you suggesting you know the team's areas of weakness as much as the players ON THE TEAM. Yikes man.

Edited by incognito_man

Just now, incognito_man said:

Had we drafted a DL and OT you'd be using these same mental gymnastics to say trash like "How do you think Kenny Clark and David Bakhtiari feel seeing GB draft their replacements in their contract year??" lol

Also had to lol @ you suggesting you know the team's areas of weakness as much as the players ON THE TEAM. Yikes man.

Why do you guess at what I would think, and also misquote what I typed?  I suggested nothing of the sort.  In fact, quite the opposite.  

Never mind,  I guess don't need an answer.  Hope it makes you feel better.

We can have a difference of opinion without having to stoop to childish posting.    You can be happy with QB, RB, HB, no pick,  while someone else doesn't like it.   We can still be fans of the same team without having to agree on everything.

17 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm not sure when Rodgers signs that extension in 2018 expecting to play it out.  NFL deals are usually "3 years, and then some fiction to make the agent look good."

I mean, going into the 2023 season Rodgers will be 39 and will have only ~3m in dead money to cut or move.

Are you suggesting that the Packers signed Rodgers to an extension in 2018 expecting Rodgers to be gone after 2021 and thus that they were somehow amenable to a $17M dead cap hit in 2022?

If Rodgers is not going to be here after 2021, then the Pack eats some serious salary cap $ in 2022.

If Rodgers is here in 2022, they likely just used their 1st round pick on a guy who will not play until year 4.

Even if one believes Love is worthy of a first round selection, there is good reason, given the realities of the Rodgers contract, to question the wisdom of his selection in round 1 of the 2020 draft by the Packers.

24 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Fact is this is why people should be happy they cheer for the packers. Granted I get... win now.

But GB and Gute have created a situation where they get 4 years to get Love ready. And if 2 years in they need to hedge their bets and get another guy in a later round they can.

They don’t want to be in QB hell. Plus what if they have a SB team but Rodgers gets hurt in the 4 years we have him? Now you ideally have a guy that can keep the ship afloat until Rodgers gets back.

Fact is Rodgers is making a TON of money he needs to do more with less. That’s the point on why he gets that contract. It’s why they are stopping getting him weapons and putting money on the defense. Because Rodgers doesn’t play defense. He should take udfa and make them respectable WRs. Brady has been doing that for years... Rodgers can too.

So I guess you cannot recall another situation in which an NFL team with a HOF QB who was under contract for 4 more years and that QB publicly declared he intended to play out his contract used a 1st round pick on another QB.

Neither can I.

Fact is, this appears to be an unprecedented move. 

Another Fact is that it is a move that has stirred up considerable controversy - at least outside the Packers organization (I am not privy to the inner-workings of the team as apparently some posters her are).

Based upon my recollection of what transpired when Steve Young took over for Joe Montana and when Rodgers took over for Favre as well as human nature, it would not surprise me in the least if at least some conflict ensues from this drafting decision.

Of course no one really knows what will occur, but certainly there is a greater chance of a QB controversy leading to conflict when your backup is a 1st round pick as opposed to Tim Boyle.

Then again, maybe the Love selection will fire up Rodgers and lift his game (or he will conform it to MLF's plan) and the Pack will win the next 3 Super Bowls followed by Rodgers riding off into the sunset and Love will pick up where he left off and lead the Pack to several more Lombardis and Gute will go down as the second-greatest GM in Packer history for making this decision.

Should be entertaining in any event.

48 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I'm sure Brady has always had at least 2 elite targets to throw to.