Total Take

Starchisaga

Also kind of important to the WR discussion:

If you are moving away from 3 WR sets to more 2 TE and 2 RB sets, then the need for more WR drops significantly as well. We have Adams. If healthy, Funchess can probably be a serviceable #2, then all the rest of the guys just have to be sub package guys.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Why does the 2020 College season have anything to do with the 2021 draft? Correct, if there's no football this year then evaluating these players will mean you'll have to weigh heavily on the 2019 tape and potential -- there will be a lot more risk with the players and it's a trust your scouting department more than ever situation. However, no college football in 2020 doesn't mean the NFL draft will not happen in 2021. The two aren't related. 

Hard part'll be checking on who's still in playing shape etc.

12 hours ago, Golfman said:

Question for all the 'draftniks' on this site! 

How do you feel about all the countless hours you spend on your own personal pre-draft work only to have the 'experts' totally ignore it? Gotta be a little frustrating I would think. 

This is probably why so many are giving Gute and company failing grades.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Toddfather said:

I'm a RN in Florida, and if I had to guess there won't be a full season if any of one. Not saying I'm an expert, but I've worked for my employer for 14 years and have never seen prep like they have done for this. Even with the numbers not being what people thought.. It is also logical that the colder fall and winter months would only see a spike. So over this crap. Just want things back to before.

Where in FL are you?

10 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

We won't have a vaccine for another 12-18 months and progress on treatment has been slow. At present, the only strategy we have is to do widespread testing and contact tracing hope that they can catch a flare-up and do small-scale lockdowns before it becomes big enough to put whole regions/countries under again.

Antibody studies so far suggest that the number of cases is way higher than we thought, but they tend to point toward something in the single digit range, like 4%. Maybe higher in NYC. Definitely not 40%. And most experts are being very cautious about how to interpret those results, because they don't square well with a lot of the other data we have about the virus.

How can we contract trace millions of people?   Let's hope a therapy to treat the virus is developed until a vaccine is found.

10 hours ago, squire12 said:

there does not need to be a lock down, but not allowing gatherings of 100 or more could very well be in play.   No fans, is a certain possibility.  How many players/coaches/staff are on a NFL sideline in any given game?  53 players, 15-20 coaches, equipment, training and medical staff, league staff from officials, chain crew, etc.   

Doesn't the NFL get most of their revenue from television?   Will teams lose a lot with empty stadiums?

6 hours ago, rthom348 said:

You know what? I change my mind (aside from Jordan Love that early). I think we'll revisit this draft class in a few years, and we'll look upon it more favorably than we do now. I'm excited about Deguara and Dillon. Got insurance along the oline. And hopefully Martin can be a plus. Cautiously optimistic

I know this is footballs future but it is almost impossible to know how good a draft is until after a couple of seasons.  IMO is foolhardy to grade it even before the draft's weekend is over.

3 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Its not just receiver ....

DL was another glaring need. Corner might become a problem and there's no obvious solution to the RT.  You shouldn't draft exclusively for need but you have to take it into account. Unless you are genuinely going to try and tank the season you have to make some attempt to address the issues especially when they match up perfectly with the strength of the draft.

Maybe it is a rebuild draft and we've given up on the Rodgers, Jones, Adams, Bakh era. In which case I guess you have to evaluate whether the new team gets it done down the line. I think with Covid though people needed a boost and a draft like this is a bit of a kick in the teeth. 

I don't think this was the greatest DL class.   It would be interesting to look and see how many DL were drafted this year.

It probably isn't a bad idea to lean towards running the ball more when your team is in northeastern Wisconsin.  If we become more efficient at running the ball it will help keep pass rushers in check.  AR isn't as mobile as he once was.  He just has to buy into this new philosophy and take what the defense gives him instead of trying to hit the home run all the time.  

8 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I know this is footballs future but it is almost impossible to know how good a draft is until after a couple of seasons.  IMO is foolhardy to grade it even before the draft's weekend is over.

True ...

But with literally no other sport to talk about - the draft is pretty much it. If you want to talk about sport then you pretty much have to analyse and evaluate the draft to death. There's nothing else. 

Ultimately our draft probably lives or dies with the Love pick. Maybe Dillon becomes a game changer down the line but it seems unlikely we will get much more than depth from the rest. If Love becomes a top end QB then Gute will deserve all the credit he gets for it in the same way TT did for Rodgers. Love didn't fall into his hands, he had to make an unpopular decision to go and get him. If he busts then there is a reasonable chance it looks like a car crash draft 5 years down the road.

Whilst the knee-jerk reaction for me is I hate it more than I have ever hated any of our drafts (immediately afterwards) and if I had to put a grade on it would stick an E or whatever the bottom of the scale is,  I've a fair bit of respect to Gute for sticking to his guns and picking his guys when he must have known this was going to be a deeply unpopular draft. 

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not at all.  Just shows you the beauty of this whole thing.  You can lock 30 different scouts in the same room watching the exact same tape, and you can get 30 different opinions.

OK, but a RB in round 2 and a FB in round three? Come on! 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

OK, but a RB in round 2 and a FB in round three? Come on! 

Yeah, if I just completely ignore the round they came in and the players we could have had instead, I would be happy getting Runyon, Dillon, and Deguara.

Can we just pretend they were all late round steals and move on?

• Like 1

One thing you have to appreciate about this draft no matter if you like it or not is that we have a plan. LaFleur and the office have a plan on the offense they want to run and the personnel they want running it. 

If these guys make LaFleur’s offense go, nobody is going to talk about how ‘ we drafted a power back in round 2’ or ‘ we drafted a FB in round 3’

And if Love hits, it’s a great draft. 

• Like 1

I truly don't get the 'giving up on Rodgers' take. I see three ways this goes: (I'm sure there are many others that I will hear about)

12 plays at an elite level. In which case Love never sees the field, the Packers are successful and have a good backup QB. The Packer FO is not stupid and won't move on from Rodgers if he is back in MVP mode.

12 plays at an average QB level. In which case the Packers will replace a good QB with a big contract with a good QB on a rookie contract, allowing them the cap space to spend on other areas.

12 plays at a deteriorating level, in which case the Packers have his replacement.

Obviously, all of this depends on Love being the guy they think he is (or can be), but you don't draft a guy  with the expectation of failure.