Total Take

Starchisaga

The NFL is a replacement league. The Packers were incredibly lucky in the lack of serious injuries last year. Anyone expect that to continue? This draft seems to fill some important positions with quality backups, not the UDFAs that seemed to be the only choice in year's past. The more I look at this draft, the more it makes sense.

LaFleur and Gute seem to like a lot of what got them to 13-3 last year. It provides depth at key positions that make LaFleur's plan work. It looks to protect the cap going forward. 

1 hour ago, GalenaPackFan said:

The NFL is a replacement league. The Packers were incredibly lucky in the lack of serious injuries last year. Anyone expect that to continue? This draft seems to fill some important positions with quality backups, not the UDFAs that seemed to be the only choice in year's past. The more I look at this draft, the more it makes sense.

LaFleur and Gute seem to like a lot of what got them to 13-3 last year. It provides depth at key positions that make LaFleur's plan work. It looks to protect the cap going forward. 

Does it ?

• Love is a rookie project. Whether you like the pick or not he doesn't become a quality back-up year 1.  When he gets game time he will have growing pains.
  • Dillon could meet your quality backup point but if AJ is injured then we have a decent number 2. Yes a 3rd RB definitely adds cover but there are other positions where depth would help more
  • Who else in the draft provides quality backup cover ?  Most of the others are late rounders who may or may not stick in the league let alone be quality backups

The positions we need quality backups are WR, LB, CB, OT.  We didn't touch the first three and its a huge leap of faith to say the late round OLs will be quality backups. 

This is a draft for a future team which may or may not be a good thing depending on whether it works. Its a not a draft that will help much this year either in terms of your starters and it doesn't help much in terms of providing depth this year where we needed it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Does it ?

• Love is a rookie project. Whether you like the pick or not he doesn't become a quality back-up year 1.  When he gets game time he will have growing pains.
  • Dillon could meet your quality backup point but if AJ is injured then we have a decent number 2. Yes a 3rd RB definitely adds cover but there are other positions where depth would help more
  • Who else in the draft provides quality backup cover ?  Most of the others are late rounders who may or may not stick in the league let alone be quality backups

The positions we need quality backups are WR, LB, CB, OT.  We didn't touch the first three and its a huge leap of faith to say the late round OLs will be quality backups. 

This is a draft for a future team which may or may not be a good thing depending on whether it works. Its a not a draft that will help much this year either in terms of your starters and it doesn't help much in terms of providing depth this year where we needed it.

What makes LaFleur's offense go? RB's, QB's, TEs. Those positions were covered. Some of these rookies will play on special teams while waiting for their chance to move up. Having more talent there is good, yes?

How do you say they didn't look for Oline back-ups? They took three O linemen. GB doesn't seem to draft OTs, they draft guys who can move to different positions for flexibility. 

The type of WR we as fans are used to seeing GB use in the past has changed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but LaFleur wants guys who are bigger and can block. Looking at this year's draft seems to tell us that a WR with those attributes wasn't worth the draft capital at the places Gute was picking.

I agree they didn't do much on the defensive side of the ball. But there has been a LOT of draft capital spent on that side over the last number of drafts. Maybe it' time for Pettine to get something out of what he has.

I will agree this draft is very much setting up a future team. But like I said, LaFleur and Gute seem to like what they had last year, even if we disagree.

I may be one of the few posters who doesn't expect a rookie to be a starter from day 1. Even a first rounder. Let them learn the technique necessary to compete at the pro level. They already have the athletic ability.

Need 2-3 starters for a draft to be considered successful.   So we'll have to see.  If Love busts but we end up with Dillon, Dejuara, and Ruynan as hits guess what it's a good draft.  Too early to judge it.  This is the most unexcited about a draft as any I have been following in the past 20 years.  We didn't address major needs along the DL and OT.  These were the areas most important to me.  WR's yes really wish we would have got a decent shifty slot guy.  Didn't happen oh well Gute said the value wasn't there.  OK I'll take him at his word. 

Still have FA and cutdowns so maybe Gute can patch the remaining holes that way.  Keep in mind we were drafting at the end of each round.  That makes it extremely difficult.  Your 2nd is essentially a 3rd, your 3rd is essentially a 4th and so on.  I'll continue to give Gutenheimer the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.  

Did we help ourselves for next year?  No not really.  Improvement will have to come within.  This was an odd year with the pandemic and uncertainty going forward.  It will be tough to get rookies on the field this year anyway.  Since I also hate this draft just about as much as anyone leads me to believe down the road it will probably end up being pretty solid.   Usually how it goes.  

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

We didn't address major needs along the DL.......

It may be too early to get a fix on this question, but how does next years draft line up for the DL position?
It may very well be it was GBs intention all along to:
1. Extend Clark.
2. Supplement this years DL with a post-draft pickup (as is being discussed elsewhere).
3. Draft a future impact DL next year.

Dont know/cant say....other than....Clark better not get injured. That would be problematic for us this year.

1 hour ago, chucknorris101 said:

Going back to the earlier discussion, I don't think there is any chance the nfl loses revenue from not having a season at this point. Maybe delayed yes, but definitely will be happening. 

I'd place the odds of a 16 game season with fans in the stadium per a "normal" game at just above zero.  Playing the limited season in empty stadiums seems a much more likely outcome than a delayed 16 game season with fans in the stadium.  The NFL is definitely losing revenue on this, that's not even a question anymore.  The question is how much (if any) of the season can be salvaged.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'd place the odds of a 16 game season with fans in the stadium per a "normal" game at just above zero.  Playing the limited season in empty stadiums seems a much more likely outcome than a delayed 16 game season with fans in the stadium.  The NFL is definitely losing revenue on this, that's not even a question anymore.  The question is how much (if any) of the season can be salvaged.

I tend to agree. I just dont see stadiums (or arenas) filled with people this year....and not until there's some sort of medical remedy to this thing - aka - the flu. Minus that - forget about it. This virus will just keep ravaging thru bodies as often as we line them up / gather them together. There's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many people (and a lack of "massive" testing) to overly rely on "herd immunity" IMO. That might work in a place the size of Denmark.....but the US?

17 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Need 2-3 starters for a draft to be considered successful.   So we'll have to see.  If Love busts but we end up with Dillon, Dejuara, and Ruynan as hits guess what it's a good draft.  Too early to judge it.

A starter for how long?  8 games?  A year?  Two years?  Four years?

I get it, I really do.  I don't love the draft, but it's not the end of the world.  This could be the draft that makes or breaks Gute and LaFleur.  And most of it is tied to their first round pick.  Gute staked his career to this draft IMO, and I'd imagine we could be looking at a potential regime change.  Right now, I'm supporting them because I'm a Packer fan, but this is the least excited I've been for a draft class in a LONG time.  But this is also a class in which I feel there's going to be guys who stick around for a long time.

Jordan Love is probably the second most talented QB in the draft.  In terms of pure arm talent, the only QB I thought had more arm talent was Joe Burrow, and the Packers weren't going to be anywhere near close enough to select him.  Personally, I wouldn't have taken him this early but if you believe he's a franchise QB and you don't take him that's a bigger issue than taking one and him flopping.  QB is the most important position in all of professional sports, and if Love hits they'll have their QB situation for nearly a half of a century.  If Jordan Love flops, then this pick will be known as wasting Rodgers' final years in Green Bay.  Realistically speaking, Love will spend the next 2 years on the bench learning from Rodgers before likely taking over in 2022.  Enough has been talked about how his numbers across the board were worse in 2019 than they were in 2018, but when you lose your HC  and 90% of your starters from the previous year, you're going to regress.  The question is how much of the regression is based on him trying to do too much with a miserable supporting cast versus actual regression.  In terms of value among QBs, I think the only value that was better was Joe Burrow and maybe Tua Tagovailoa but I don't get a chance to look at the medicals.  I'd easily take Love at 26 than Herbert at 6, and without a second thought.

AJ Dillon was a bit of a surprise pick mainly because I didn't think the Packers were going to be in the market for a RB this early.  I thought their 3rd round pick was the soonest they'd look for a RB, and only if the value was right.  Anyone who had Dillon graded out as a Late Day 3 pick really didn't spend much time watching him.  He's been as productive any RB this side of Jonathan Taylor over the last 3 years.  IF there's a red flag, he's got a ton of wear and tear on his body with 845 career rushing attempts.  And he's got limited exposure as a pass catcher out of the backfield, in large part because he was Boston College's offense.  The offense had no passing game to speak of, and Dillon was required to carry the offensive workload.  He's a bellcow back and I really like him as a complimentary back to Aaron Jones, so if the Packers are serious about extending Aaron Jones I think Dillon is the perfect back to mix and match with him.

Josiah Degauara wasn't a guy that I was high on because I don't see any standout tools.  And on the other side of the coin, there isn't much he can't do.  And based on the comments from Gute and LaFleur, I think that's part of where his value comes from.  He lined up in a number of different positions, and there's value in that.  Kinda reminds me of Kyle Juszczyk in the value of versatility in an offense.  You can line him up in the backfield like a FB, in-line as a blocking TE, spread him out wide, etc.  But it's clear we're going to be seeing a LOT of 12 personnel this year, and I think Degauara offers value there and on special teams.  Kinda feel like he bucks the trend of taking players with more upside, but lower floors in Round 3.

I won't spend a LOT of time on Kamal Martin, because I didn't watch much of him.  If you needed more proof that the Packers don't value the ILB very highly, this offseason pretty much confirms it.  There wasn't a ton of tape on Martin, and there's enough questions about his tape and he was suspended twice.  I didn't have a draftable grade, but I also think he would have a different grade if he played the entire season this year and/or didn't have those suspension question marks.  From what little I've seen, he's going to fill a role.  He's not going to be great at it, but if the Packers can get a non-liability for four years and then let him walk and let someone else overpay for his service, I'd consider this a win.  My personal LB of choice went two picks later, but that wasn't Pettine's type of LB.

Jon Runyan is a solid developmental guy.  His tape was awful, but it's abundantly clear he wasn't an OT in any sense.  He'll get kicked inside to guard IMO, and he'll be a solid starter for year's to come IMO.  Not an elite OG, but a solid starting guard.  Jake Hanson isn't anything impressive, but I think you draft him with the intention of developing him behind Corey Linsley.  Didn't even watch Stepaniak and given the fact that he tore his ACL late in the year is even more surprising that the Packers took him.  If there's an UDFA type, he's it.  Either way, I like the Packers throwing a bunch of picks the IOL position.  Playing the numbers game that at least one of them sticks.  Plus, I think this is the writing on the wall that Lane Taylor is going to be on a different roster in 2020.

Vernon Scott wasn't even a guy I had watched so I don't have any opinion on him.

Jonathan Garvin was probably the best "value" pick of the draft for the Packers, and he was a pretty easy projection to be a future Packer.  Odds are he doesn't amount to much, but he's worth the gamble.

Overall, it was an unspectacular draft.  This was probably the weirdest draft I've seen the Packers make, although the direction the Packers went is pretty clear.  They opted to overhaul their offense moving forward.  We're shifting from the McCarthy era of 4 WR to a more 12 personnel.  Overall, I'd give the class a solid C.

• Like 1

My new hot take is that the 2020 season will be canceled.  Heading into the 2021 draft, GB will be sitting pretty to pick from among the top tier of WR's since so many teams took early WR's in the 2020 draft who have yet to play a down in the league.

Gute is a genius.

I disliked this draft more than I've ever disliked a draft in my entire life. Failure to add a #2 wr; passing on multiple starting caliber OT's and not adding a mid to late run stuffing DL is unfathomable. Sorry we further distanced ourselves today from SF, Seattle, Dallas and Minnesotta this weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

My new hot take is that the 2020 season will be canceled.  Heading into the 2021 draft, GB will be sitting pretty to pick from among the top tier of WR's since so many teams took early WR's in the 2020 draft who have yet to play a down in the league. Gute is a genius.

Well then.....TDNs already switching their data to 2021 prospects comes in handy :)

The top 10 WR prospects for next years draft:

Ja'Marr Chase, LSU
Justyn Ross, Clemson
DeVonta Smith, Alabama
Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
Rashod Bateman, Minnesota
Rondale Moore, Purdue
Sage Surratt, Wake Forest
Seth Williams, Auburn
Amon-Ra St. Brown, USC (Having another St. Brown on the roster would be interesting) :)
Chris Olave, Ohio State

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well then.....TDNs already switching their data to 2021 prospects comes in handy :)

The top 10 WR prospects for next years draft:

Ja'Marr Chase, LSU
Justyn Ross, Clemson
DeVonta Smith, Alabama
Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
Rashod Bateman, Minnesota
Rondale Moore, Purdue
Sage Surratt, Wake Forest
Seth Williams, Auburn
Amon-Ra St. Brown, USC (Having another St. Brown on the roster would be interesting) :)
Chris Olave, Ohio State

There ya go.  I'm sure Gute can find an ideal consolation prize after missing out on this years historical class of WR2 types