Total Take

Starchisaga

9 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Its not just receiver ....

DL was another glaring need. Corner might become a problem and there's no obvious solution to the RT.  You shouldn't draft exclusively for need but you have to take it into account. Unless you are genuinely going to try and tank the season you have to make some attempt to address the issues especially when they match up perfectly with the strength of the draft.

Maybe it is a rebuild draft and we've given up on the Rodgers, Jones, Adams, Bakh era. In which case I guess you have to evaluate whether the new team gets it done down the line. I think with Covid though people needed a boost and a draft like this is a bit of a kick in the teeth. 

I was only describing what I’ve been reading from the pundits and why they are all giving GB a bad draft grade.  In most cases, they’re not grading GB on anything else but the failure to pick up a WR, which is a lazy take in my opinion.

21 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Not so fast. Punting on OT and DL means those needs don't go away. Add CB to that group if King isn't re-signed

Yes, those needs are still there, but you don't have as many teams around the league thinking they've addressed their need at OT/DL/CB in the 2020 draft vs WR

I'm wondering if internally they realize "we got ran all over a few times last year" and did not conclude that the answer is "add more talent on the DL" but "adjust something schematically."

I mean, if they wanted another DL they had a lot of chances to add one between the draft and FA.  It's possible they don't want another one.

If nothing else they should be better at stopping the Shanahan offense if they spend a lot of time practicing against it.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

Just read all nine pages of this thread. A lot of butthurt people out there for no reason. Before this draft there was a rumor that nobody knew anything. It has come to fruition. People who we thought would go in the first few rounds lasted almost the whole draft. Settle down. Start thinking. Go Packers.

The only take I’m interested in is... after FA and the draft how is this run defense any better?

Like everyone is worried about WR and the offense. Well they answered that question... may not be the answer fans want, that GB is going to be more of a running team... but it’s an answer.

Is the answer Kirksey and Martin for run defense? Because if so... I’m more worried about that then the offense. Like I don’t mind if GB loses a game, but I don’t need to watch them literally get taken to the woodshed like that and them not have any answers for it.

4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

The only take I’m interested in is... after FA and the draft how is this run defense any better?

Like everyone is worried about WR and the offense. Well they answered that question... may not be the answer fans want, that GB is going to be more of a running team... but it’s an answer.

Is the answer Kirksey and Martin for run defense? Because if so... I’m more worried about that then the offense. Like I don’t mind if GB loses a game, but I don’t need to watch them literally get taken to the woodshed like that and them not have any answers for it.

Gary over Fackrell is the easiest one to point to if you're talking the 49ers game exclusviely. Fackrell gave up 2 longish TDs in run defense. 

Improvement on the part of Darnell Savage. If his recognition, open field tackling, and angles are better, some of those 30 yard TD runs end up as 12 yard runs. 

A potential third year leap from Tyler Lancaster. Not that I'm expecting him to turn into an all-around player or even be good or anything, but if he can make the jump to being a serviceable run plug, and not be beat badly on three of those long runs, we're looking a lot better. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Gary over Fackrell is the easiest one to point to if you're talking the 49ers game exclusviely. Fackrell gave up 2 longish TDs in run defense. 

Improvement on the part of Darnell Savage. If his recognition, open field tackling, and angles are better, some of those 30 yard TD runs end up as 12 yard runs. 

A potential third year leap from Tyler Lancaster. Not that I'm expecting him to turn into an all-around player or even be good or anything, but if he can make the jump to being a serviceable run plug, and not be beat badly on three of those long runs, we're looking a lot better. 

Gary makes sense because that was always a plus for him in college that he was a good run defender.

Makes sense with Savage.

I feel the same for Lancaster. I know LaFleur mentioned Adams... but I don’t have hope. Keke will develop but I don’t think run stuffer is his game.

Just now, Green19 said:

Gary makes sense because that was always a plus for him in college that he was a good run defender.

Makes sense with Savage.

I feel the same for Lancaster. I know LaFleur mentioned Adams... but I don’t have hope. Keke will develop but I don’t think run stuffer is his game.

Run stuffer doesn't necessarily mean a huge guy who has a tremendous anchor and chews up double teams. Sometimes a good run defender is a guy who is quick through a gap or quick laterally to avoid getting reached and to stretch out plays horizontally. 

I'm not expecting Keke to be a good player, but Aaron Donald has a pretty damn big impact in the run game and nobody's ever thought he has any kind of anchor. 

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Run stuffer doesn't necessarily mean a huge guy who has a tremendous anchor and chews up double teams. Sometimes a good run defender is a guy who is quick through a gap or quick laterally to avoid getting reached and to stretch out plays horizontally. 

I'm not expecting Keke to be a good player, but Aaron Donald has a pretty damn big impact in the run game and nobody's ever thought he has any kind of anchor. 

Oh I know... I just don’t see Keke being even that. Hoping I’m wrong but yeah.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

There ya go.  I'm sure Gute can find an ideal consolation prize after missing out on this years historical class of WR2 types

I'm sure he can...especially since the upcoming class has a higher concentration of WR1s.
Method exists where madness appears to tread :)

25 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Could not agree more that the defensive line is a more dire situation than WR.

As for reason to hope the run D improves (based upon the current roster makeup), IMO, A healthy Kirskey is a better run defender than Martinez.

Martin, though a rookie, is a potentially better thumper than Goodson.

Gary may be an improvement on the edge over Fackrell.

Maybe, hopefully, possibly, we can dream Keke does something along the defensive line.

But I have no confidence that Lowry or Lancaster will be any better in 2020 than they were in 2019 and the chances that Adams breaks out in year 4 are ... not good.

How does this draft look to the players in that locker room?     I would think they would see the draft as a place where the weak spots on a team can be added to so they are given a better chance to compete the next year.

What this draft would tell me is that the leadership saw this as an opportunity to try and find cheaper alternatives for some of the best performers on the team rather than fill weakness'.

Why would a Kenny Clark play through an injury?   He sees that A Jones had a breakout year, and rather than think about paying a player who outplayed his contract they are replacing him.  Why risk injury and getting hurt in his contract year?

Bakhtiari sees that Bulaga had an excellent year and was rewarded with not even being offered a contract to stay.   Do I play with the back issue, or should I sit the week and ensure I don't get hurt, or put some bad tape out there.  Linsley has played since a rookie far outperforming his contract.  Rather than seeing that get corrected the OL see the team just move on.  How motivating.

The players know the areas of weakness as well as anyone.  when they see the draft used to replace people that might be expecting a pay increase rather than filling areas requiring improvement it has to effect the locker room.

I could continue on, but how can the players on a team coming off a 13-3 season feel good about the draft that just took place.  they see the competition filling holes on their team and drafting people that help them go to the next level..   They see the Packers drafting for contract minimization and for years down the road.

We picked a few nice players at low impact positions.  There were immediate needs for OT and DL.  We didn't do a thing to help them.  The backslide starts now unfortunately.   I hope to be completely wrong with all of this.

Immediate grades are a joke, but if one has to be given, a grade of D is probably the kindest one can be to Gute/MLF.   

Every player in the NFL knows there's eventually going to be someone younger and cheaper coming for their job.  This is generally motivating to veterans rather than discouraging.

After all, if you're the sort of person who folds when you're competing for something you'll probably be weeded out of football well before D1 college football, let alone the NFL.

Edited by PossibleCabbage