Post Draft Roster Review

AngusMcFife

I always like to scan the roster after the draft to see where we're at. I leave off PS/futures signees. 

QB (3): Lamar, RGIII, McSorely

RB (4): Dobbins, Ingram, Edwards, Hill

WR (8): Hollywood, Snead, Boykin, Scott, C. Moore, D. Thomas, Duvernay, Proche

TE (2): Boyle, Andrews

OT (3): Stanley, Brown, A. Smith

G (4) : Bozeman, Powers, Bredeson, T. Phillips

C (2): Mekari, Skura*

DT (3): Williams, Ellis, Mack

DL (5): Wolfe, Campbell, Ricard, Madubuike, Washington (could be DT)

EDGE (4): Judon, Bowser, Ferguson, Ward

ILB (6): Queen, Harrison, Fort, Ryan, Board, Alaka

CB (6): Humphrey, Peters, Smith, Young, Marshall, Averett

S (5): Thomas, Clark, Elliot, Levine, Stone

ST (3): Morgan, Koch, Tucker

UDFAs will come along soon as well. Not too many roster spots available. The obvious hole is OLB. It appears TE is another hole, but Ricard fills in as blocker who is eligible to catch passes on offense.  

Edited by AngusMcFife
OLB changed to EDGE, Ward added

Seems like the following positions would have major training camp battles:

QB2: Lamar is MVP. He only needs one backup. A mentor is no longer needed. 

WR: Hollywood is the #1, after that there are many possibilities. Could Scott outperform Boykin as the big WR? D. Thomas and Moore are on the fringe of the roster. Duvernay and Proche are likely locks given what we gave up, but they need to perform and stay health during training camp or face an IR-stash. 

IOL: I could envision many scenarios here. Bozeman could keep his job or be relegated to backup depending on how others perform. He could also move to C if that upgrades Mekari, and others are capable starting guards. Skura's is a big question mark, could be PUP.  

ILB: Queen, Harrison, Fort are roster locks, and Ryan, Board, and Alaka will likely be fighting for one spot. The rookies will have to earn their starting spots, though. We can't gift an ILB a starting role unless he proves he can handle it (see 2019). 

Yeah, the team used Ward like a big edge. Kind of an odd role for him but it worked. Another reason why they might be feeling alright about that spot with Judon, Bowser, and Ferguson also there. McPhee is probably brought back too. 

The biggest battle I see is the obvious one - interior offensive line. Not one single spot is known at this time. At least the team has some talent to cover guard and center. I would guess Bredeson is probably not in the running to start, but smart guys like that always have a chance. But if he isn't and Skura is ready to go that still makes five players competing for three positions with him, Powers, Mekari, Bozeman, and Phillips all in the mix. Lots of competition is good.

18 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I’d shift Ward out of DL into the OLB category and rename it EDGE, personally. I think that reflects usage better. 

Yeah I was thinking of correcting that, he's a jacked up OLB like Upshaw. 

I changed it. 

Edited by AngusMcFife

11 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Yeah, the team used Ward like a big edge. Kind of an odd role for him but it worked. Another reason why they might be feeling alright about that spot with Judon, Bowser, and Ferguson also there. McPhee is probably brought back too. 

The biggest battle I see is the obvious one - interior offensive line. Not one single spot is known at this time. At least the team has some talent to cover guard and center. I would guess Bredeson is probably not in the running to start, but smart guys like that always have a chance. But if he isn't and Skura is ready to go that still makes five players competing for three positions with him, Powers, Mekari, Bozeman, and Phillips all in the mix. Lots of competition is good.

Yeah there are all sorts of permutations. 

I think they kept Bozeman at guard for continuity last year, but he could compete with Bredeson and Mekari for starting C (assuming no Skura to start the year).

I'm not sure if Ben Powers is entrenched at RG, because it feels like Tyre Phillips is the prototypical big bruising RG. I'm not sure how well these new big boys Phillips and Bredeson can pull.   

Staring options could be: 

Continuity lineup: 

RG: Powers     C: Mekari     LG: Bozeman

Youth movement at G:

RG: Phillips     C: Bozeman     LB: Bredeson

25 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

UDFA Chauncey Rivers may be one of the best shots at continuing the undrafted guy to make the 53 man roster 

6 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Yup. Jacob Breeland, Michael Divinity, and Nigel Warrior are a few other notable guys with good chances.

JMU’s John Daka was highly productive at the FCS level (16.5 sacks in 2019). Just saw him added to our list. 

Looking over the roster Ben Bredeson looks like a classic injury IR option to stash him. If we go for one on defense I’m thinking it’ll be Washington... though with the durability concerns with Wolfe, the team might decide it’s more valuable to keep him on the active roster instead.

Obviously there's a glaring need at OLB, but I feel like this year we're going to rely heavily on the interior rush and then get our future edge rushers next year. We could also be hoping that the guys we have (Bowser, Ferguson) really improve from last year.

I love our defense, though, and I hope our offense continues to improve at the WR position and we get Justice Hill more looks in space.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Obviously there's a glaring need at OLB, but I feel like this year we're going to rely heavily on the interior rush and then get our future edge rushers next year. We could also be hoping that the guys we have (Bowser, Ferguson) really improve from last year.

Also, what's to stop us from moving Patrick Queen or Malik Harrison or Chuck Clark or Deshon Elliot on the end of the line and telling them to run around the tackle.

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Also, what's to stop us from moving Patrick Queen or Malik Harrison or Chuck Clark or Deshon Elliot on the end of the line and telling them to run around the tackle.

Yeah that almost has to be in the cards to use Malik Harrison as an edge setter and a guy to rush the passer on occasion, especially in those nickel sets where you could keep him out there and have him convert to an edge role or convert back to ILB depending on the offensive formation.

His size, speed, explosion, and agility metrics would have him test out as a high level pass rushing profile... if that were his position. I say put him in that kind of versatile role to see if he can see the field sooner. He’s still young enough where he’s got a lot of upside potential yet.