Post Draft Roster Review

AngusMcFife

11 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

3/6, noted. Now what are the value of the picks spent on defense over the draft vs the value of the offensive picks spent? This isn’t rhetorical, I’ve done the math. We spent 608.3 pts on improving the offense; whereas we spent 1027.8 pts on improving the defense.

I said the team was making a concerted effort to building up the defense more than the offense. You disagree. Well let’s break it down further.

The vast majority of the difference between those values is the gap in draft value points between #28 (660) and #55 (350). So the difference in pick value is a function of them taking Queen in the first. Does that indicate a general lean in the draft toward improving the defense? Sure. I just don't see it as a heavy lean on defense rather than adding to the offense. They definitely concentrated on bolstering the front-7, but it doesn't strike me as a deliberate strategy to favor defense over offense due to the peculiarities of the upcoming season, as was initially suggested.

QB: Lamar Jackson / Robert Griffin III / Trace McSorley

RB: Mark Ingram / JK Dobbins / Gus Edwards / Justice Hill

FB: Patrick Ricard 

WR: Marquise Brown / Miles Boykin / Willie Snead / Devin Duvernay / James Proche / Chris Moore

TE: Nick Boyle / Mark Andrews / Jacob Breeland

OT: Ronnie Stanley / Orlando Brown / Andre Smith

OG: Bradley Bozeman / Tyre Phillips / Ben Powers / Ben Bredeson

C: Patrick Mekari

DL: Brandon Williams / Calais Campbell / Derek Wolfe / Justin Madubuike / Broderick Washington Jr. / Daylon Mack

OLB: Matthew Judon / Jaylon Ferguson / Tyus Bowser / Jihad Ward 

ILB: Patrick Queen / Malik Harrison / L.J. Fort / Otaro Alaka

CB: Marlon Humphrey / Marcus Peters / Jimmy Smith / Tavon Young / Anthony Averett / Iman Marshall

S: Earl Thomas / Chuck Clark / Anthony Levine / Deshon Elliot / Geno Stone

K: Justin Tucker

P: Sam Koch

LS: Morgan Cox

PUP: Matt Skura

Simple. If someone like McPhee is added I think Moore would be the next to go, it's tough though since he has obvious value on the coverage teams. The roster is pretty well-set. I don't see anyone else from the defense going, at least in terms of amount per position group. 6 corners and 5 safeties sounds right. 4 ILBs is almost a given, especially with the guys the team has fighting for that 4th spot. And then you have 6 guys on the DL. I think it's obvious the team wants to go back to the front being a strength so I don't see them skimming there.

I guess the only other spots in question would be a 4th RB and 3rd QB, but given this particular style of offense depth is important there. And there are no guys to cut at RB, nor does that position hold trade value so... 4 it is. With the new rules about elevating 2 players from the practice squad I would guess an OT and probably another LB/EDGE are brought up most weeks. There's still going to be 7 inactive players but those seem like the thinnest areas that could need help if just one regular player is hurt. With this undrafted free agent class Chauncey Rivers might have a good shot for that role. Haven't seen an OT on that list yet though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, berlin calling said:

UDFA Tyler Huntley could be the 3rd QB we carry into the season imo.

remains to be seen how both do in camp obviously but both are smallish dual threats who will have to battle it out against each other.

That’s a fair assessment. More likely in a shortened offseason he won’t have a chance to jump past Trace, but he definitely could be on the practice squad and see playing time if injuries stack up. He could potentially jump Trace as the season goes on if he has better QB tools. I haven’t watched him, but he knows Lamar and that might help him to get a leg up on the playbook some. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/27/2020 at 8:30 AM, berlin calling said:

UDFA Tyler Huntley could be the 3rd QB we carry into the season imo.

remains to be seen how both do in camp obviously but both are smallish dual threats who will have to battle it out against each other.

Sooo. I stand by my guess Huntley makes the team over McSorley and will be the UDFA to continue the streak. Kid is balling out in camp.