7.253 - MIN: Kyle Hinton G/Washburn

RpMc

• 3 weeks later...

Hinton reportedly did well at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl (all-star game vs Division I opposition). That probably means he did well in practices, not just the game. 

I found video of the game and did an edit: 

I think he'll need a year on the practice squad to get bigger. 

3 hours ago, Krauser said:

Hinton reportedly did well at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl (all-star game vs Division I opposition). That probably means he did well in practices, not just the game. 

I found video of the game and did an edit: 

I think he'll need a year on the practice squad to get bigger. 

Truthfully, he's a long shot to make the team.

14 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Oh, I'm pretty sure everyone has penciled him into being on the practice squad (he'll likely clear waivers) as he has a long way to go. As long as no one snipes him, it'll probably be 2022 before he'd make the 53.

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Oh, I'm pretty sure everyone has penciled him into being on the practice squad (he'll likely clear waivers) as he has a long way to go. As long as no one snipes him, it'll probably be 2022 before he'd make the 53.

I don't know.  I just think he's going to have a tough time transitioning to NFL competition.  So very few small school players are drafted and most of them may be on a practice squad for a season...but, that's about it.  Funny enough, I think it's particularly hard for small school linemen to make rosters because the level of competition and coaching of linemen at Division II and III is just nowhere near what Division I linemen get.  Skilled players from small programs, especially wide receivers and running backs, seem to have a better chance.

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

He was worth the 7th rounder to stash on the practice squad to see if he can develop. He’s got really nice athleticism so why not. I don’t think anyone expects him to make this years 53 man roster. 

15 hours ago, swede700 said:

It's difficult, but not impossible.  Fusco was a D-II offensive lineman.

You are right.  It's not impossible.  I think the cards are stacked against him, however.

He's a guy that was likely drafted in order to not have to fight to secure his rights as an UDFA, given that their asking him to move to center, or at least get practice there, he was always going to be a practice squad guy this year barring him blowing away his competition.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

You are right.  It's not impossible.  I think the cards are stacked against him, however.

Raw. Nice Athletic traits. Drafted late.  MoBo all over again. Böhringer stuck around practice squads for a few years. Hinton has a chance to do that too. If he does, his odds of developing into someone worthy of a 53 man roster spot probably aren't much worse than MoBo. Maybe Hinton will make more of that chance.  You are right that the odds do not favor him. He'll have to scratch and claw his way there through pure hard work and strong-willed determination if he is to make it.  

47 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Raw. Nice Athletic traits. Drafted late.  MoBo all over again.

Hinton’s quite a bit further along than MoBo. At least he’s played in the US, and has some experience against NFL quality opposition (late round / UDFA rookies but still). The reports that he “impressed” at the all-star bowl game probably means that he practiced well and did well in drills — I’m no scout but obviously he didn’t do great in the game itself.

I think that video is instructive because it shows the difference between tested athleticism and what matters on the field. Hinton’s weight adjusted speed and agility tests were elite and his jumps were excellent too, but when a 6’2 290 guard has to block DTs that weigh between 305 and 320, some of those numbers (like long speed) don’t matter at all, while some of the things that matter a lot (hand usage, leverage) aren’t testable. And just the simple weight of the players has an effect — blocking power isn’t graded on a curve for size.

I think there’s a very good chance that Hinton could be better than Cornelius Edison, or eventually as good as Brett Jones, and stick around as a depth C option on the PS or bottom of the roster for a few years. I don’t think it’s realistic to look at the RAS number and his highlight video with all the pancakes and pencil him as a future starter.

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

The cards are stacked against any 7th round pick. I don’t see how that is a negative here unless you’re expecting all 7th rounders to be homeruns. 

I don’t think people need to iterate or repeat that he’s a long shot, or the cards are stacked against him. He’s a 7th round pick. By that very definition, we already know he’s a long shot. But what you look for are workable nfl traits and he has that. So it makes sense to pluck him as a dart throw that could potentially develop somewhere down the line. 

• Like 1

He has a lot of work to do ... is he 2 years away from being 2 years away.
Having good athletic scores at his weight and size is good ... but may mean little, unless he adds 15-20 lbs of muscle and maintains it.
Dominating lesser competition is a start.

Give him the opportunity and we'll see what happens, PS worthy.

5 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

I don’t think people need to iterate or repeat that he’s a long shot, or the cards are stacked against him. He’s a 7th round pick. By that very definition, we already know he’s a long shot. But what you look for are workable nfl traits and he has that. So it makes sense to pluck him as a dart throw that could potentially develop somewhere down the line. 

Maybe I'm reading to much into the comments, but page one of this thread seemed to be full of optimism that he's a "diamond in the rough."  This diamond has to be cut and polished very carefully to find some worth in it. Maybe what he really is cubic zirconium!

Edited by Guest